Planning Applications

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
marymck

Planning Applications

Post by marymck »

A while ago I objected to a Planning Application for an extension to a house in a Conservation Area.

That particular Planning Application was refused but I have now discovered it has been re-submitted. Apparently, everyone who objected to the original application should have been sent a letter informing us it had been re-submitted. I didn't receive a letter and only found out by chance when looking for something else on the Lewisham planning website.

So I thought I'd start a strand where people can post information about Planning Applications in historically sensitive areas that they're concerned about.

So here's this one: 26 Mount Ash Road. Ref: DC/08/68219.

It's in the Sydenham Hill Conservation Area. A beautiful long terrace of Victorian houses, backing onto Mount Gardens. The Planning Application is for an extension into the back garden. It will have folding glass doors across the whole width of the back of the house and a glass roof.

We moved to our present house, which overlooks the whole long sweep of these gardens, in 2002. Then it was an oasis of trees and wildlife and if one walked down Mount Gardens one could hear Nightingales sing (well I'm told they were Nightingales ... very pretty sounding anyway!)

Now the backs of the Mount Ash gardens are starting to resemble a shanty town, so many trees have been cut down and different looking extensions have been pushed out into the gardens. The gardens individually are very small, it is the whole sweep of them which makes them special and a corridor for wildlife.

My feeling is that the backs of these houses are every bit as important and worthy of protection as is the front facade. Lewisham Council don't feel that way.

Objections to this one have to be in by Friday 18th April.

Details are on http://acolnet.lewisham.gov.uk Ref: DC/08/68219

Letters (of support or objection) can be e-mailed to planning@lewisham.gov.uk
gone

Post by gone »

You are about 50 years too late Mary.
I knew that whole area off Kirkdale back then, from Sydenham hill down From the top of Panmure road you could see wheat fields.
The bird life was amazing, swallows and house martins, owls all sorts hedgehogs everywhere, grass snakes in the gardens.
Its fallen foul of Lewisham council and its demolish anything with character policy,especially if its liable to be regarded as middle class.
The trees they have cut down over the years is criminal.
As is the infill housing they have allowed
Mount Gardens was a magical and secret little byway, dirt surface road,
Mount Ash though was a blooming slum, dirty dark grubby little road full of yobs cant ever see it as wonderful example of Victorian building.
It can only get worse, too many people.
And Lewisham council building new slums to replace the old ones
marymck

Post by marymck »

Well I guess that goes to prove beauty really is in the eye of the beholder. The Conservation Department must have agreed with me about Mount Ash Road at one point though, as it is part of the Conservation area. A very nice neighbour and friend of mine has lived in Mount Ash Road all her life. She's in her 80s and I can't think of anyone less like a yob.

Sadly Lewisham Council agree with Gone. They have granted the planning application.