Milk Machines

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
griffiths

Post by griffiths »

The chip dispensing machine by the shops in Newlands Park was called a Fritomatic and was made in Holland. My son, Clive, aged six was featured in the local paper in late 1969 buying chips from the machine. This was particularly appropriate as I had recently changed my job to one involving the promotion of British potatoes. Unfortunately I believe the chips in the machine were of Dutch origin.
budweiser

Post by budweiser »

Greg Whitehead wrote:OK Brian, in order, I've taken a picture of the following:

Dye works (right aspect) - Dye works (left aspect) - Criterion Ice - Michelin*** restaurants - Jeep showrooms - old Cutts garage - Your newsagents? - Smart new office block - Mears & Co.

I've uploaded them to Flickr (see link below). For a quick explanation, when I moved to Sydenham from West Greenwich (literally just off Point Hill) 7 years ago the Dye Works was abandoned and falling down. It's now quite a well-heeled development with expensive cars outside despite the view toward Hazel Grove et al. Criterion Ice was also dilapidated (no roof etc) and became quite an acceptable Turkish Meze affair. For no obvious reason it closed down and became this gaudy and offensive monstrosity which I have no wish to set foot inside - Puerto Mexico is only slightly more acceptable than the building site the Criterion Ice once was. I'm not sure if it's the parade of 'salmonella vendors' or the car showroom your bakers was once in but you can see what became of your Cutts. I assume Bannings was always your newsagent? The new Hexagon housing office is on the corner of KPR and Sydenham Road and Mears&Co is now Sivyers.

www.flickr.com

Then sign-in using

Yahoo ID! whitegregoryg@yahoo.com
Password crosslet

And you can view the photostream...

Do please let me know if you have any problem accessing the pictures and I apologise for referencing all as ‘yours’ but I’m trying to reconcile then and now.
Cheers for the pics mate. I remember the Criterion as it was in the late 60`s earlier 70`s, all chrome tables and chairs and the knickerbocker glories and Banana splits were out of this world.!! Steven and his parents were great people.
Wolfie

The Criterion

Post by Wolfie »

I remember the Criterion from the 60s....

For me it was a great treat to be taken there for a knickerbocker glory - which had to be consumed with the special knickerbocker glory spoon as no common or garden spoon was long enough or narrow enough to reach the bottom of the glass.

The thing I will always remember about the Criterion was the display of their various products in the window - probably the icecream was plaster of paris but the various items, nonetheless, appeared very realistic.
jackieboo

Re: The Criterion

Post by jackieboo »

Wolfie wrote:I remember the Criterion from the 60s....

For me it was a great treat to be taken there for a knickerbocker glory - which had to be consumed with the special knickerbocker glory spoon as no common or garden spoon was long enough or narrow enough to reach the bottom of the glass.

The thing I will always remember about the Criterion was the display of their various products in the window - probably the icecream was plaster of paris but the various items, nonetheless, appeared very realistic.

I probably served you one! Or a toasted ham sandwich in a special machine or frothy coffee in a glass cup and saucer. I was paid 50p for the day but loved it. My lasting memory of the place was the Juke Box which I always selected "House of the Rising Sun". Lovely times.