Crystal Palace Park Road

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Greg Whitehead

Crystal Palace Park Road

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Steve Grindlay once wrote that the rather fine and grand homes that line CPP Road in Sydenham were designed by someone of note. Seemingly this person also was the architect of a rather famous stately home (if memory serves).

Despite trawling this forum and searching all over the internet I can't seem to find the post or the information.

Can anyone remember?

Thank you in advance.
annabel mclaren

Post by annabel mclaren »

Welcome back Greg! The 'gingerbread' style villas that fringe Crystal Palace Park were designed by John Norton, the architect who re-modelled Tyntesfield (in Somerset) creating the Gothic Revival extravaganza that has been magnificently restored by the National Trust. The villas were built to help finance the park - plus ca change! I'm sure that Steve will have more information on Norton - a quick internet search doesn't turn up much.
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Ahem. I went through each of Steve's posts in turn and found it.

http://forum.sydenham.org.uk/viewtopic. ... 39adcf9611
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

annabel mclaren wrote:Welcome back Greg! The 'gingerbread' style villas that fringe Crystal Palace Park were designed by John Norton, the architect who re-modelled Tyntesfield (in Somerset) creating the Gothic Revival extravaganza that has been magnificently restored by the National Trust. The villas were built to help finance the park - plus ca change! I'm sure that Steve will have more information on Norton - a quick internet search doesn't turn up much.
Good to hear from you Annabel!

You beat me by a minute but thank you for the information. I had to go into each and every one of all the posts that Steve had ever made until the right one was found. Oddly enough the search function didn't pick up Crystal Palace Park Road. Hey ho.

Anyway, I hope you and Barry are well? Thanks again for helping me.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Those houses on Crystal Palace Park Road are fantastic aren't they? I am aware that there was one house that was bombed during the war and was never rebuilt (this, I think, was no75, and there is pedestrian access to the park on the site) - but were there any more houses built that for whatever reason are no longer standing?
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Thomas wrote:Those houses on Crystal Palace Park Road are fantastic aren't they? I am aware that there was one house that was bombed during the war and was never rebuilt (this, I think, was no75, and there is pedestrian access to the park on the site) - but were there any more houses built that for whatever reason are no longer standing?
For some reason the search function on this site doesn't seem to be working at the moment. I knew Steve had put some info up about The Haven. Which after going into 17 pages of Steves posts I found what I was looking to show you:

http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... 50539#5958
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Thanks Greg (and Steve and Falkor in particular for their postings on the thread in the link) - very interesting!

P.S. I think the search facility does work, but you would need to specify that you are looking for where all the words appear, not just any of the words.