Stanton Road

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
chazmaestro

Stanton Road

Post by chazmaestro »

My grandfather, Charles Edward Johnson and Grandmother Kate Victoria nee Friend were living at 6 Stanton Road, Lower Sydenham during the early 1900s before moving to 22 Bell Green, Lower Sydenham. Stanton Road does not appear on the map of the area now. Can anyone tell me where it was. I seem to remember living in Stanton Square before being evacuated during WW2.
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

Stanton Road and Square were laid out in the 1880s, within the area now encircled by the one-way system at Bell Green. This map (1894) shows Stanton Square; Stanton Road is not named, but it is the road that leads into the square, with just the terrace of 8 houses above the word "Stanton".

chazmaestro

Stanton Road

Post by chazmaestro »

Thank you for the map Steve. It is a great help. I seem to remember my Great Grandfather riding along Stanton Road and round Stanton Square on a Penny Farthing and having to lean against a lamp-post to get off.
WOODS FAMILY

Re: Stanton Road

Post by WOODS FAMILY »

All

This is the best piece of info I have managed to find on Stanton Square in many weeks of investigation, thank you. My mothers family, The Woods family lived at 33 Stanton Square from just after WW1 to around 1935. Charles and Kathleen Woods had 7 children that survived childhood and grew up in the square. My mother (85) and her sister (90) have very fond memories of the square and it would be great to find other families/details who have memories of the square. In particular, if anyone can identify No33 from the map that would be fantastic.

Many thanks
chazmaestro1

Post by chazmaestro1 »

My grandmother lived at 33 Stanton Square from 1940 until she died in 1959. Her name before marriage was Kate Victoria Friend. She married my grandfather, Charles Edward Johnson who got killed in WW! at Ypres in 1916. She married Samuel Charles Kells who died in 1940 and she then married for the third time to Walter Christopher Rhodes in 1942. I don't know when he died but she was still at 33 Stanton Square until she died. My two older sisters had already been evacuated to South Wales and I stayed with my gran until I was evacuated to South Wales to be with my sisters. I was deemed to be too young at the time my sisters were sent away.

Best regards. Chas
mikeholland

Post by mikeholland »

My mum lived at number 30 (Audrey Maynard), her grandparents lived next door (Mr/Mrs Strong) at number 31. They lived there until 1939 when Mum and her brother George were evacuated. I am reliably informed by Mum that Nos.30 and 31 are in the bottom right corner of the square on the map, so 33 will be on the bottom side of the map, 2 in from the end.
Little-red

Post by Little-red »

My great grandparents family lived, I believe, at No 1 Stanton Road. The surname was Sullivan.
JoS1950

Re: Stanton Square.

Post by JoS1950 »

My father was born in May 1915 to Jack and Lilian Medhurst and lived at 32 Stanton Square. Jack died 1916 in Ypres. Does the square still exist?