Crystal Palace Entrance

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Chelsey

Crystal Palace Entrance

Post by Chelsey »

Hi Guys,
it has just dawned on me looking through the latest posts that no one has any pictures of the main entrances , were there turn stiles , a booth for obtaining tickets ? what did they have there ? How was the North tower accessed ?

Cheers
Chelsey
Konqi

Post by Konqi »

In regard to the North Tower, the entrance to it was via the North Tower gardens, up some small steps.

Map is slightly inaccurate and moved the position of the North tower up, but just indicating what side it was on.
regoneil

crystal palace entrance

Post by regoneil »

In reply to Chelsey,
My memory of the entrances to the Palace, were, as shown in Konqi’s drawing, but I can add further information
As I remember it from the thirties.
North Tower, entrance exactly as depicted in his plan.
Turn-styles, Yes these were found at all entrances as well as booking office facilities, the latter would have been used for such events as a circus or concerts where admission charges varied,
Apart from those shown in the plan, there was, of course the Penge Entrance which was situated at the junction of Thicket Road, C.P. Park Road and Penge High Street (Tram terminus) which gave entry to what later became the park. These gates gave way to a long tree lined avenue leading up to the main entrance close to the old dirt track/football stadium. And comprised of a line of turn-styles as well as auxiliary gates for “non paying” or half price entrance fees (children). There were “exit turn-styles” situated close to the North Tower and halfway down C.P.Park Road close to Sydenham Avenue.
I have reason to remember that when I was at the age of fourteen, the age when most boys were kicked out of school to earn their own living, and so became classed as adults. I and a pal of mine discarded our long trousers in favour of shorts in order to take advantage of the cheaper entrance fee to watch the Xmas circus. On arrival at the main entrance we discovered that to purchase our tickets we had to go to the booking office which proved to be just a hole in the wall through which we could just about see the head of the booking clerk. No way could he see our knees and so we sat through the show, high up in the ascending rows of seats surrounding the massive organ in the centre transept, freezing with the cold. It was a great show however, the highlight, if my memory serves ne correctly, was a beautiful girl being shot out of a canon from one side of the centre transept to the other, where she landed in a net. On that occasion, she injured her ankle whilst landing....and I fell in love with her straight away.
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

Very interesting.
Many thanks.
jmc

Re: crystal palace entrance

Post by jmc »

regoneil wrote:In reply to Chelsey,
My memory of the entrances to the Palace, were, as shown in Konqi’s drawing, but I can add further information......
There were “exit turn-styles” situated close to the North Tower and halfway down C.P.Park Road close to Sydenham Avenue.
The is a turnstile next to the "woodland path"just west of the 'Fisherman's Entrance'.
I assume its not in its original location but it does look like an 'exit turn-style'
Chelsey

Post by Chelsey »

Hi Guys ,
it dawns on me that there are quite a few pictures of the South Water Tower Base but very few of the North after the towers' destruction , i take it that one is probably in one hell of a state after the way the tower was removed but I have only ever seen about two pictures of it all the same . Has anybody got any photos , maybe looking into the base from the top ?

Many Thanks
Chelsey
Konqi

Post by Konqi »

I can get a photo of it from the top, but it is literally just full of mud/earth and trees growing in it.
Chelsey

Post by Chelsey »

Hi ,
it might sound daft , but hey why not , it would satisfy my curiosity if nothing else , by the way , do the steps leading into it in the earlier photo still exist ?

Many Thanks , also for your patience

Chelsey
Konqi

Post by Konqi »

No the steps don't remain at all, currently that part of the rim is covered in grass and temporary hut is overhanging where they were.
Konqi

Post by Konqi »

Here you are:

and a photo looking into the fence:
Chelsey

Post by Chelsey »

Hi
thank you Konqi that has satisfied my curiosity no end

Many Thanks
Chelsey