Sydenham School listed

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Big Ben

Sydenham School listed

Post by Big Ben »

Does anyone have any information on the listing of the modern building at Sydenham School, Dartmouth Road? I saw a reference to an article in the South London Press but despite an online search can't find it...
bigbadwolf

Re: Sydenham School listed

Post by bigbadwolf »

What do you want to know? Are you inquiring as to whether or not listed status has been granted. Or the reason behind the listing?

I can't tell you if the building has been listed, but I can shed some light on the reason behind the proposal.

As many of you already know; I have spies in most corners of society. Not to mention echelons of power. And as a consequence, one of my agents has reported that this may be a case of English Heritage meddling in the affairs of local authority.

In the dossier handed to me it reminds us that English Heritage covets the Brutalist work of Basil Spence. Due to the innovative use of materials incorporated into the spartan aesthetical quality of the structure. Which are notoriously regarded as eyesores.

Also included in the report was the proposed development of the school after it was awarded funding from the Building Schools for the Future scheme. This would mean the that the 5 storey monstrosity would be under threat from demolition. Listing the building would protect it from development. Thus saving it.

I'm afraid this post won't self-destruct in 5 seconds. You all know how it is with health and safety these days. They've taken all the fun out of espionage, I'm afraid.

Tossers.