BELTWOOD IN SYDENHAM HILL

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
marymck

Re: BELTWOOD IN SYDENHAM HILL

Post by marymck »

Beltwood is Grade II Listed and English Heritage describe it as:

"Large house. 1855-1863, remodelled c1895. Possibly by Banks and Barry, Dulwich College estate architects. For Edward Santon. Extensively remodelled c1895 in Neoclassical style. Rendered with hipped slate roof and 2 rendered chimney stacks. EXTERIOR: south-east, garden, front is of 2 storeys, 7 windows. Central 3 windows project under a pediment with oculus and Adamesque swags, supported on full-height pilasters. Bracket cornice and frieze with paterae. String course. 1st floor has mullioned and transomed casements with cast-iron cames. Ground floor has 3 French windows to centre, with round-headed fanlights, keystones and impost blocks. Curved bay on each side, right side original, the left being replaced in replica at time of survey following fire damage. South-west or entrance front has 2 curved bays to 1st floor with mullioned and transomed leaded lights. Huge porch with round-headed cornice and 2 Roman Ionic columns each side. Open pedimented doorcase behind approached up a flight of 4 stone steps. Rear or north-west front has projecting wing of 2 bays to the left and irregular fenestration including Venetian-style staircase window and external chimney stack. 2-storey rendered and stock brick service quarters to north-east. INTERIOR: has entrance hall with fireplace in Baroque style with overmantel with swags, triglyph frieze, brackets and pilasters. Curved ceiling with high relief plastered fruits and ceiling rose. Built-in window seat and parquet floors. Well staircase with 3 turned balusters to each step with scrolled tread ends. Lounge has elaborate walnut surround and overmantel to fireplace with panel with carved cherub. Coved ceiling with ceiling rose, paterae and swags. Doorcase has curved pediment. Dining room has elaborate overmantel to fireplace, coved ceiling and recess with fluted pilasters. Series of fine panelled doors with good brass fittings. Green-tiled bathroom with marble washstand and original closet. 1st-floor bedroom over entrance hall has marble fireplace, others only retain dado rail. Bathroom has panelled grey marble bath and washbasin. Service staircase with stick balusters.

A house possibly by the Dulwich College estate architects Banks and Barry was erected for Edward Stanton on this site between 1855 and 1863. Some of the service areas show traces of this period but the main house was very extensively remodelled c1895 in Neoclassical style"
marymck

Post by marymck »

I just spoke to the estate agent. Obviously they can't say much, but to paraphrase: it's under negotiation, but nothing completed yet. So here's hoping!

The Charges Register says:

"C: Charges Register
This register contains any charges and other matters
that affect the land.
1 The parts of the land affected thereby are subject to the
following rights granted by a Deed dated 24 March 1864 made
between (1) Edward Saxton (2) Joseph Somes and others and (3) The
Crystal Palace & South London Junction Railway Company:-
"the right of the London Chatham and Dover Railway Company to
maintain and use the existing tunnel thereunder."
2 The land is subject to rights of passage and running of water and
soil through the sewers and drains thereunder and rights of entry
in connection therewith.
3 The land is subject to such easements and rights as by a Transfer
dated 21 May 1999 made between (1) The Incorporated Trustees of
the Dulwich Estate and (2) Tracy Lee Thier it was made subject to
by virtue of Section 10(2)(ii) of the Leasehold Reform Act 1967.
4 (14.02.2008) REGISTERED CHARGE dated 4 February 2008.
5 (25.03.2011) Proprietor: CLYDESDALE BANK PLC (Scot. Co. Regn. No.
SC001111) of 30 St. Vincent Place, Glasgow G1 2HL."

I thought that was really interesting about the railway tunnel. I wonder if it's still there, or if it's fallen/been filled in?
portobello

Post by portobello »

Fascinating, I wish they'd include a tour on Open House weekend, I'd love to see inside.
Jan CWR

Post by Jan CWR »

We have met the developer who has bought Beltwood from the bank. He is in the process of clearing the grounds and says he intends to take down the additions (so that would include the Mews), and 'with his partners' build 4 or 5 £2 - 3 million pound houses on the land. This would obviously mean the loss of the gardens (though overgrown, still retrievable). He says he will talk to neighbours and possibly have an open day .....so you may all get to see it properly!

He's removed the shrine.
Dodgybird

Post by Dodgybird »

I would love to have a nose around...if the open day goes ahead will it be publicised ?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Jan CWR

Post by Jan CWR »

The meeting is this evening at Beltwood from 1900 to 2100 hours. It seems to me the developer will be using this opportunity to demonstrate that there is support for his plans, so from his perspective, the more people who turn up the merrier.
gavrelle

Post by gavrelle »

Interesting reading about the history of Beltwood. I was a student who was housed there between 1983 and 1985, i can still see in my mind every room in the place. I took lots of photographs, there was some lovely paintings in there, even a victorian loo in the antrance hall. Is there anywhere i could upload photos??
jeff

Post by jeff »

Looks like it's for sale again. This time through Hamptons.

http://www.hamptons.co.uk/en-gb/propert ... =DUL110214
Hebrides

Post by Hebrides »

Would love to see your photos, gavrelle. How about uploading them to Geograph (http://www.geograph.org.uk) on the appropriate page (which is http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/TQ3472 for Beltwood House). You just register a username and password and then you can upload photos of places in UK. I know most of the photos on there are views taken outside, but there are some interiors as well (for example, http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2481266 or http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2707521 or http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1924942 to name but a few). Any good?
incline

Post by incline »

Hello - am new to the forum and interested to know what is happening at Beltwood House now. Does anyone know?
Loz

Post by Loz »

incline wrote:Hello - am new to the forum and interested to know what is happening at Beltwood House now. Does anyone know?
Plans to develop the site into a jumble of apartments and houses was submitted recently and is awaiting decision. However, I live in one of the houses that backs onto the far east border of the site and from the noise and constant bonfires, I am wondering if they have already begun some form of work on it.

Info on the development can be found on the Southwark website http://planningonline.southwark.gov.uk/ ... ey=9551663
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Loz wrote:
incline wrote:Hello - am new to the forum and interested to know what is happening at Beltwood House now. Does anyone know?
Plans to develop the site into a jumble of apartments and houses was submitted recently and is awaiting decision. However, I live in one of the houses that backs onto the far east border of the site and from the noise and constant bonfires, I am wondering if they have already begun some form of work on it.

Info on the development can be found on the Southwark website http://planningonline.southwark.gov.uk/ ... ey=9551663
Go to the tall white block of flats by Crescent Wood Road - Countisbury House - take the lift to the top floor and walk around to the side that overlooks Beltwood. You can see lots after the leaves have fallen.