Wells Park Road

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
lensgirl

Wells Park Road

Post by lensgirl »

Hi

Im new to this site, but have seen from other posts that you are a well informed lot :D My mum was born and raised in Tynewald House in Wells Park Road, and has a lot of great memories (mostly with her parents, 6 brothers and sisters and at least 2 brother in laws and even a few cousins, all in this house :shock: )

I know that Tynewald House no longer exists but i was wondering if anyone might have a picture of the house or even the road? (roughly around the 1960's)

Many thanks
bradfordroadgirl

Re: Wells Park Road

Post by bradfordroadgirl »

Hello, I haven't been near this forum for about eighteen months but have played catch up over the christmas period. I grew up in Wells Park Road and am a bit confused by your question about Tynewald (Tynwald) House.

It's a large block of flats and is very much still there. There are several blocks, all built in the early 50s I think, on ground that used to be a monestary.

I lived along there from 1954 - 65. My mum and her mum grew up in Bradford Road (which was a little further down) and my great gran and grandad Pearce lived at 1 Fir Street until 1912.

There were several larger families so possibly I knew yours. If you prefer, please pm your family name?
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

bradfordroadgirl wrote:Hello, I haven't been near this forum for about eighteen months but have played catch up over the christmas period. I grew up in Wells Park Road and am a bit confused by your question about Tynewald (Tynwald) House.

It's a large block of flats and is very much still there. There are several blocks, all built in the early 50s I think, on ground that used to be a monestary.

I lived along there from 1954 - 65. My mum and her mum grew up in Bradford Road (which was a little further down) and my great gran and grandad Pearce lived at 1 Fir Street until 1912.

There were several larger families so possibly I knew yours. If you prefer, please pm your family name?
Tynwald House is still alive and well. It has been furnished with a new lift as have all of the larger blocks on Sydenham Hill estate. The estate is well into its second year of a £17million refurbishment. Most properties now have a new kitchen and bathroom.
Edale Close
Location: 250 miles distant - Half way up on the left - too far from home

Post by Edale Close »

My Nan lived in Tynwald House in the early 60s, having moved from Poulton House in Brockley. My sister was a home birth in that flat one bank holiday. I didn't go near the place for many years as we moved out of London, when I did return in the mid 80's I was shocked at how run down it had become, so I am glad to hear that some upgrading is taking place.
Aussie_Girl

Post by Aussie_Girl »

@Bradforroadgirl

Hi there

I noticed on one of your posts that your great grandparents lived in Sydenham until 1911/2.

I am searching for a Pearce family - George and Lucy (nee Sullivan) and am wondering if we are related. One of the children of this couple, William Francis Pearce was born in Sydenham is my great grandfather and I have had no luck in locating the family on any Ancestry sites. My direct email is heidi.fowler@y7mail.com and I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards
Heidi
(From Australia)
Garratt

Post by Garratt »

I lived @ 27 Tynwald House from 1958 when I was 10 until 1968. We moved to Sydenham from Brockley (Ilford Close) & thought Tynwald House was great being a modern flat with a bathroom & a launderette on the ground floor. I can still remember the smell of Castrol R oil when the motorbike racing was on at crystal palace. I went to school at Kelvin Grove & then to Forest Hill In 1960. My parents & sister lived there until the early 80s. Most of the lads I went to school with around my age from the estate died in an air crash going on holiday.
Garratt

Post by Garratt »

I lived @ 27 Tynwald House from 1958 when I was 10 until 1968. We moved to Sydenham from Brockley (Ilford Close) & thought Tynwald House was great being a modern flat with a bathroom & a launderette on the ground floor. I can still remember the smell of Castrol R oil when the motorbike racing was on at crystal palace. I went to school at Kelvin Grove & then to Forest Hill In 1960. My parents & sister lived there until the early 80s. Most of the lads I went to school with around my age from the estate died in an air crash going on holiday.
bradfordroadgirl

Post by bradfordroadgirl »

Hi Aussie Girl - have mailed you :)
Bill Oliver

Post by Bill Oliver »

Hi All,

I remember Wells Park Road from quite a few years back. Initially I lived with my Mum and step father at No. 76 which then (approx 1947) was a gents hairdresses. My step father was Stanley Herbert Hall and he was the hairdresser. My Mother was Dorothy.

A while later my folks (Stan and Dorothy) also took over the newsagent/tobaconist/confectioner shop at 84 Wells Park Road. I do hope that over the years I haven't confused/swapped the street numbers for the shops.

We all took part in running these shops, with me doing some of the paper rounds, until about 1955/6 when the whole area was subject to a compulsory purchase order and we were moved out to a council house in Woking, Surrey

If anyone remembers these years at Wells Park Road I'd be most pleased to hear from them, especially if they have any photographs from that time and, of course, the shops. All gone now I guess.

williamwadworth@yahoo.co.uk
Michael Viner

Post by Michael Viner »

Dear Bill,Here is a photo of your stepfather S.H. Hall's hairdressers at 84(not 76) Wells Park Rd-it's the shop with the bike parked outside. The photo was taken in 1953,a few years before demolition,which was around 1957/ 1958.To the right is the United Dairies, looking decidedly worse for wear.On the extreme right is the sweet shop that was on the corner of Dallas Rd.It was interesting to hear your memories.I hope you like the photo.

ImageS H Halls by Michael Viner, on Flickr
DeePomies

Post by DeePomies »

I'm new to this forum. Not sure if I'm doing this right. I used to live at 11 Tynwald House from 1958 until 1975 when I got married. My mother was still there for some years later. It would be great to hear from anyone who remembers me. My name was Denise Sparham. I went to St Phillips Church school and the onto St Bartholomew School.