Prospect Place, Wells Road

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
maureen barrett

Re: Prospect Place, Wells Road

Post by maureen barrett »

Hi Tigger, as you would expect I can remember The Monastery.The older boys had a dirt trck in the middle of the woodlands there, where they used to race their bikes.There was a large pond at the Wells Park Road end too and allotments where we could still get soft fruit etc and make a camp.
Then there was 'Greeneys' I think its where the park keepers lodge is now.Lots of Apples in August if you dared!and the houses where The Johnsons used to live on the corner opposite Oaksford Avenue.
Do you remember The Cottage of Content near Halifax, and the ruined church opposite there, the council yard where we could get tar blocks to put on the fire, Dellahoys shop where we got groceries on coupons and the bicycle shop at the top of Bradford where we could buy gas mantles and wireless vavlves....Takes you back doesnt it.Probably like a foreign language to those who were not around in the 1950's
Regards Maureen nee Myles ex 33 Bradford Road.
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

maureen barrett wrote: the bicycle shop at the top of Bradford where we could buy gas mantles and wireless vavlves....Takes you back doesnt it.Probably like a foreign language to those who were not around in the 1950's
Regards Maureen nee Myles ex 33 Bradford Road.
The bike shop was called Fords and painted bright red, one shop away from the corner of Bradford Road (Greengrocer on corner). I remember going in there to buy gas mantles and batteries for my nans radio (1960's). My nan lived at no.19 Bradford Road, she had no electricity just gas. Electricity supply was never installed at no 19 to the day it was demolished.
There was another sweet shop further up past the London City Mission, between Bradford and coombe road run by the 'Adams' family.

I seem to recall someone called 'Michael Myles' possibly a relative Maureen?
maureen barrett

Ref the message from 14 Bradford Road.....
Now I am intrigued, I beleive I must know you.The Field family(Terry Field) lived at No 12 Bradford and the Langridge family (Brenda and sister) upstairs at no 10 with grandad Mr Brooks downstairs.
Number 19 was next to Rose Butler and her brother Tom, the Hughes family lived at no 15, Mrs Russell at no 13, My grandparents Myerson at no 11, Aunty Gladys Butler(Barbara and Margaret) at no 7, Aunty Betty Rixon (Kathleen, Marian, John , David )at no 7.
I lived at no 33 Bradford with my siblings MICHAEL, Eileen, Susan ,Andrew, Julia, Clive.
Michael was my lovely brother who was killed by a car in 2001.
Did you know him as a child....
I would love to hear from any of the Wells Park Road/Bradford Road children around in the 50'-60's we knew each others families so well before tghe houses were demolished...but time gradually dims bits and pieces of the memory, and we have very few photos(no cameras) of that time.I was great friends with the Smith family who lived opposite, Colin Butler, David Rodwell, The Chandler family, The Normans, The Dales, The James family, so many and we all lost touch.Its quite sad.
Thanks for the info on the bicycle shop, of course it was Fords, I couldnt remember the name..
The house on the corner was a greengrocers as you say, Michael worked there on a Saturday.But prior to that My Mum and Dad lived there during the War when I was a baby.Apparently when the bomb hit Panmure Road it blew all the windows out and I was kept in the basement for safety.
I would love to hear more from you.
Regards Maureen(nee Myles)
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

Hi Maureen,
Aha! I now have a good idea of which family you were part of. Michael would have been quite a
bit older than me but I knew who he was as I had a real fascination for motor cycles as a child
and seem to remember him on a motorbike? I can remember vividly drooling over the noisy machines going up and down the road being chased by "Billy" the white and black collie dog.

I'm about the same age as Clive (55) and my name is Alan Knott. My sister Yvonne was the
same age and in the same class as Andrew (St Philips?). Was Andrew a twin? My nan was Mrs Rose Lambert at number 19 whose children were Doris, Arthur, Stanley, Audrey, Joyce (my mum) and Dennis (he died very young) grew up there. I never knew my Grandad Arthur as he died before I was born.

We lived downstairs at no 14, our landlady was Mrs Dale (Joyce and husband Alf) and the lady who lived upstairs was called Doreen, hard to imagine how Mum,Dad with 3 children fitted into the downstairs of what was a small terraced house with a shared outside toilet and no
bathroom. Then again that seemed normal to me as a young child, by about 9 years old we had moved to larger accomodation. At number 16 (next door) was an elderly couple called Mr & Mrs Deacon. Memories come flooding back as I remember the family names that you mention, I was only young but obviously must have taken a lot in.

They were happy (and innocent) times. We spent many happy hours in Wells park with other
children playing. I remember Old Mrs Turner (Dawn Perron's nan) being with us and making
us bannana sandwiches to eat (funny the things that stick in your mind)..
As you point out Maureen, families stayed in Bradford road for generations so they must have
all been more than happy to be there..
Last edited by 14BradfordRoad on 21 Nov 2011 23:31, edited 1 time in total.
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

Sorry Falkor to deviate away from your original thread "Prospect Place". Our back garden in Bradford road backed onto Prospect road. Sorry I can't help with Prospect place but just
got caught up reminiscing (Ah, what memories they were too!)..
maureen barrett

Hello there Alan, it was lovely to hear from you.
I remember your Mum and the Lambert family.I think they grew up alongside my grandparents, and my Mum and her siblings. I was a bridesmaid at Joyce Dale and Alf Barclays wedding.They later moved next door to us at no 35 Bradford with her Mum Clara Dale( who was related to my step father by marriage).By the time Michael had his motorbike I had married and lived around the corner at 83 Wells Park Road, next door to the sweet shop.
Have you seen the official VE celebrations in Bradford Road, there are so many familiar faces there including your Mum and your old neighbours.I make an appearanceged as a baby held up by my Mum.
I have just spoken to Clive, and he remembers you and the dog too, it belonged to Mr Wilson who lived down the road a bit from the Norman family.He was devastated when he had to move away.
Andrew was indeed a twin to JuliaIi have a picture of Andrew at St Philllips School(Julia was unwell that day).Your sister must be in the picture!
I must probe the old grey cells more...as I remember the name Dawn Perron and Mrs Turner too.
As you say its nice to reminisce.
Your memories of Michael were particularly nice to hear.
He was a lovely genial person, and we loved him dearly
A very skilled Carpenter he was persuaded to celebrate the New Year 2000/1 at a Cricket club near Ashford.He was not a drinker, but went along with others plans and booked a seat on a coach with his wifes family to allow him to have a pint (he only had a half) with his meal.
Unfortunately while he waited to board the coach(parked on the wrong side of the lane)a car(in an attempt to avoid people in the road) swept in too close to the pavement where he was standing and knocked him and his wife over.He sustained head injuries , and died a month later.He was only 53.His poor wife Sheila was not badly injured, but died undergoing Chemo 6 months later.As you can imagine we were traumatised by the whole affair, particularly as he had done everything right!
So your memories of him are particularly precious.
I can send you copies of the photos mentioned via e-mail ,if you dont have them.
Thanks, keep in touch
Kind Regards Maureen
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

Thanks Maureen, really sad to hear about Michael and his wife. Lots of memories
and even more names are flooding back from those times in Bradford Road. I have
sent you a PM.
Kind regards, Alan.
coldand

Post by coldand »

My grandparents Mr Ron Ford and his wife Mrs Olive Ford actually owned the bicycle shop and when the council aquired the land to build the existing estate they moved to Forest Hill but only with an agreement that they would be given a house there when the estate (prospect close) when completed. They actually lived there until they died my grandfather in 1987 and my grandmother in 2010. Does anyone have any pictures of the shop or the street Id love to see them
maureen barrett

ref coldand's message

I remember Ron and Olive Ford who ran the bicycle shop at the top of Bradford Road.
We used to go there to get our radio batteries topped up, and gas mantles, Valves(not sure whether these were for the radio) and of course bicycle inner tubes, puncture repairs etc.it was a treasure trove of a shop particularly for boys and and had a certain smell, probably from the tyres etc.
My Mum lived in the shop nextdoor at the very end of the war in 1944, before getting the house in Bradford Road.Our families will have known each other very well, as we lived there for 5 generations.
I think I may have a glimpse of the shop in one of my family pics, so I will have a look to see how much is visible.
Nice to know that your grandparents stayed in the area...they must have witnessed so many changes, as has my aunt who still lives in Wells Park Road and is nearly 93.
Kind Regards Maureen
coldand

Post by coldand »

hi maureen

thank you for your reply. I know the bike shop was very popular as if i ever mention it to anyone who had lived in wells park road they can remember it well. Unfortunately my father alan died in 2008 however I will ask my aunt if she can remember your family. I know it was quite a close knit community as my grandmother still used to get others their shopping until she lost her confidence to go out. My grandparents lived at no 12 prospect close and the Sharp family lived next door and they had previously lived in Wells park road before the estate was built. My two great uncles Harold and Ron had both worked in the Talma over the years I dont know if you can recall them.

Yes my grandmother had witnessed many changes over the years and at some point my great grandmother lived on the part of sydenham hill estate that faces wells park road. To be honest I only have vague memories of the shop although I spent many an hour in the flat above and my mum Barbara said she often helped out serving. I would love to see any pictures you may find.
When my grandmother died my aunt did find a picture of the shop but it was only of that shop, I really would like to see it in relation to the road.
coldand

Post by coldand »

Hi Maureen

What was your family name ?

And can you remember my father ?
maureen barrett

Hello there, my mothers family were called Myerson and lived in Bradford Road at numbers 5. 7 11 and 33, also coombe Rd no 3 and Dallas 32.Her mother Kate Moorlen lived in Dallas Road with her mother and father and siblings at the turn of the century until her marriage.I remember the Tripp family in Prospect Road about 3rd house on the right going down.
I knew that other people lived at your grandparents shop, but I cant remember them I'm afraid, although some of my older cousins probably will. The Talma on the corner of Coombe is the only bit of wells park road left standing,regrettably I have never been inside.
My stepfather used to have the odd pint in the Duke of Edinburgh(demolished a couple of years ago), but I only ever took back'returns' to earn money on bottles in the off licence which was round the side of Springfield.I used to peer over the counter to see what was going on inside.
I will ask the family what they remember next time I see them.
I remember opposite the park before the flats were built,from the school going up towards Taylors and then upwards past the 'grange' as we called it.
Meanwhile I am happy to send you any pics i have if you send me your e-mail in a private message.
regards Maureen nee Myles.
multisync

Post by multisync »

Please dont make it a pm as we are all interested in the area,specially as wells park hall is being demolished as we speak. seems such a shame to make place for a hall that nobody knows anything about
maureen barrett

Thanks for the message.
I do not know how to load pics on the forum set up, hence my request for an e-mail address...I can do it via an attachment that way.
The picture I referred to in particular was taken in the 1950's a rather misty looking pict ure that was taken at the top of Bradford Road and included the shops from the left hand corner and included Fords Bicycle shop.
It runs from the corner where my parents lived when I was newborn .Its windows were regularly blown out in the war I am told.It was later to be a greengrocers shop.My brother Michael was an evening and Saturday boy there in his teens.
The next shop was Fords Bicycle shop, then after a small gated access to the rear was a row of shops which ran to Brices Yard on the edge of Prospect Road.
I cant remember what the next two shops were originally, although they became a newsagents and a wool shop in the early 1960's.
The next shop was an oil shop and the picture shows tin baths hanging up outside.We used to buy parrafin oil, firelighters, bundles of wood and ironmongery there.The whole shop smelled of parrafin and the oil had seeped into the adjoining wall.this shop later became a bakers shop.
The next property was residential, then came Mrs Wall sweet shop
She was a lovely lady who intruduced us to 'penny bags' which was a bit of a lucky dip,or the 'halfpenny tray' where we could select anything of our choice.I beleive she was a retired school mistress, and I liked her and her husband very much.
She was always nice to us children even though we had very little to spend .She knew all our family well.
Then a cleaners/laundry(cant remember the name) where we could take washing in a large canvas bag which we called the 'bagwash' and would collect it a few days later(still damp).In the days before washing machines my Mum found it helpful with the many sheets she had to wash.We still had a Victorian copper in the scullery for washing clothes which Mum had to light a fire under to heat the water, and a mangle in the garden.
The snapshot is of a much loved place, where we had a poor, but contented childhood .

Does anyone remember the council yard on the left going down from Halifax towards the high street.We used to buy tar blocks there to put on the fire.They threw out loads of heat, but clogged up the chimney with tar, so were a bit dodgy if you didnt get the sweep in regularly.
Apparently they got them by digging up the old road surface.

I hope I can get a picture of St Phillips School before it goes.All of our family went to school there...we learned well, I still know all my tables by heart(up to x 12 as there were 12 pennies in a shilling)which we recited each day to learn them.It was a happy place.
Why did they allow it to fall into disrepair and not make it a listed building.There are few enough reminders of Sydenhams history left.....

Any advice on how to load the picture would be helpful.
regards Maureen nee Myles
bradfordroadgirl

Post by bradfordroadgirl »

Sadly, Maureen, you could really only get an aerial view of the old school as the fence around it is high. It's in a very poor state of repair. Like you, I'm sad that it's going. I can't really see this new centre in a positive way but that might be unfair of me.
Brannan

Post by Brannan »

Here is a picture of my mother as a baby with my grandmother - as they lived at the time (c. 1928) in Coombe Road, I expect that the picture was taken by their house.
Brannan

Post by Brannan »

Here's the photo!
maureen barrett

Hi there,
It was lovely to see your photo.I have been studying the background buildings and I dont think it was taken from a garden in Coombe Road because at the top of Coombe was the Talma and on the other side St Phillips school.The bottom of the road was residential until it curved right into Taylors Lane and Mr Scrobies grocery shop.
Looking closely I think the picture is taken in Wells Park Road towards the corner of Dallas Rd...The curved frontage was distinctive and the tall house going up Dallas I think was shored up to the side after the war.This was opposite Prospect Road...so are they in the garden of Prospect Place?
Your family must have known my grand parents and the Myerson family very well, as they were living in Bradford Road at the time and my grandmother was raised in Dallas Road.My mother would have been 6 at the time and her sisters somewhat older.They lived there until the Road was demolished in 1960's.One aunt lived at no 3 Coombe Road also until it was demolished.
My two Great Aunts Alice and Martha had a grocers shop 2 doors along from the Mission Hall between Miss Fiske the Habberdashers and the Cafe(which was still there in the 1950's and sold Eldorado Ice Cream). they spent their childhood in Dallas Road.Their father Kossuth Moorlen was the local policeman for 25 yrs.
My Gt Aunts moved to Ramsgate and bought a shop there after their mother Elizabeth died in 1926, although the premises remained a grocers shop throughout my childhood and into the 1960's as far as I recall.
regards
Maureen
Brannan

Post by Brannan »

You may be interested in this cutting about the wedding of my maternal grandparents Arthur Tripp and Mary Huntley in August 1925
Brannan

Post by Brannan »

And here's the beginning of an article from the Sydenham, Forest Hill and Penge and Borough News, 19 Nov 1943, about the tragic death of my grandfather A. Tripp when he was knocked over by his horse and cart.