Kirkdale / Colingtree Road

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Falkor

Kirkdale / Colingtree Road

Post by Falkor »

The above text and lowest photo appear to contradict each other; did shops really continue from Cobb's Corner down to Peak Hill or not?

ImageImage
Two maps showing the same part of Kirkdale in 1894 and 1914 respectively. Anyone know anything about this wooded junction of kirkdale before Colingtree Road was built over it? Do the contour lines represent a stream or path? I think it's too northly to be the Springhill stream. Either side appears to have a line of trees, reminiscent of Jews Walk, and might have something to do with the name "Colingtree"?

Any help with these historical questions would be much appreciated!
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

I do not know if it is still there (it was a few years ago) but between 247 and 249 KIRKDALE there was a sign on the wall saying Collingtree Gardens
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

did shops really continue from Cobb's Corner down to Peak Hill or not?
No, I don't think they did. Both the 1894 and 1912 street directories show shops between Peak Hill Avenue as far as the bench-mark (BM 179.4) on the 1914 map. They were occupied by a bootmaker, tailor, Victoria Wine Co and so on. The first of the semi-detached villas (on the site of what I take to be the present entrance to the Collingtree Triangle) was occupied by a dairyman, so it is reasonable to assume that the triangle was where he grazed his cows. The rest of the villas were private homes, as shown in the photograph.

The piece of woodland in the 1894 map was the entrance to a large and rather eccentric house built in 1860 at the point where Collingtree Road now meets Peak Hill. Originally called The Retreat (by 1894 it was renamed Leahurst) it was built George Baxter (a well known and highly collectable printmaker) who died there in 1867. His monument is still prominent in Christ Church churchyard and, of course, Baxter Field was named after him.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Thanks Steve... I'm surprised Baxter's Field and Round Hill Church Spire are not mentioned in the Sydenham and Forest Hill Past book, although they get a mention in the Alcock book.