Empire Picture Theatre

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Falkor

Empire Picture Theatre

Post by Falkor »

My friend Tony and I, a couple of weekends back, went looking for this so-called Auditorium that supposedly still survives behind a shop at the bottom of Dartmouth Road, but could not find it!? Therefore, might it have been demolished in recent years? I even asked a lady in Wok Express, but she wasn't aware of any building behind their shop. I even got through directly around the back, but there was strangely nothing there...
Malcolm

Empire Theatre

Post by Malcolm »

I remember going into the s/h furniture shop in the 1990s and it stretched back miles. You could also see there was false ceiling (covered in cobwebs) that had been put in at some stage.

Not sure when the furniture shop went west......
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Malcolm, thanks for the info... I can only conclude then that the furniture shop building is no more.
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

I'm pretty sure the hall survived until a couple of years ago. You could see it from what was then the car-park behind the post office. It certainly survived the building of Century Yard, but was presumably demolished as part of the housing development now taking place behind the post office/betting shop.