Pet shop in Lower Sydenham about 1940

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
chazmaestro1

Pet shop in Lower Sydenham about 1940

Post by chazmaestro1 »

Before we were evacuated my sisters and I lived over the pet shop in southend lane ( or was it Bell Green) just over the road from the Gasworks. Does anyone remember the pet shop. I think there were a row of shops. All long demolished, of course. Are there any photos in existance that I can get a copy of. We all got evacuated to South Wales until after the war. THanks if you can help. Chas from Mordialloc, Victoria, Australia.
Jaytea

Re: Pet shop in Lower Sydenham about 1940

Post by Jaytea »

Yes I remember it still being there in the sixties. Bell Green more opposite the Bell than the Gasworks if I remember correctly. I think the people who ran it were called Harris or Harrison. I used to go there to buy tropical fish - Guppies were 1 shilling each.
marymck

Post by marymck »

I got my much loved budgie Peter from there. Peter was reincarnated a number of times (unbeknownst to me - I just thought his nose kept changing colour) before my parents got fed up and told me he'd "flown back to Australia".

Coincidentally, my mum and I were talking about the shop only the other day, because one of my first memories is going there with my grandad to see the puppies.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
chazmaestro1

Post by chazmaestro1 »

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated. Regards from Chazmaestro