The Haven 42 crystal palace park road

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
J.B

Post by J.B »

Hi I would just like to say thank you to Steve for those fantastic pictures of the Haven which was my home for 7 years of my life, I have some very special memories of that house and also Sydenham hill, which was not as wonderfull or magical. I have spent so many years trying to find pictures and never having any luck Istill kept on trying and now I feel that a piece of my life that was missing is now in place. I would like to say Hello to Janet, Jackie, Gary, Jillian, Sarah, Cecelia, Edwin, Teresa, Leslie, Margret, Sheridan, and all the other's it would take far to long to name. I remember our house so well and our lovely dog sacha and chummy who live with our cook in the cottage on the grounds, well I could go on for ever, so if any one remembers me and would like to talk about old times I would love to share my memories with you, so feel free to get in touch.
ednightingale

The last of your photos-- the cottage like building, is 29a

Post by ednightingale »

or Silk Cottage. It was originally a stables for 29 (where the rough land now is,long demolished), and my parents bought it in the mid-thirties, and lived there until the Lease fell in, around 1965. The house and garden were larger, but were subseqently 'squared up' by some bureaucrat. Next door was No 27 (going down the hill) and this was a Salvation Army Nursing Home, which used to bring in parcels of food in the hard times after the war. At this time, the park was closed, and as we had a gate into it, the park became a great wild playground for us, and one or two other children. The Haven, or Willoughby as we still called it, had a somewhat mysterious quality to it. It was there, but more or less out of sight down this long path full of trees and bushes, and the children were there, yet I never met one of them. It is really nice to hear that the children there had happy times. The lady who kicked this off, says she looked out over the palace, so she must have seen our little house, after we had left.

DO YOU RECOGNISE ANY OF THESE?

I can't tell which of the buildings photographed in the collection are demolished or still standing, even though I walk down the road all the time. :oops: I need to compare some maps; here's a good one to start off with:

Image[/quote]
joyceo

hi teresa i too have been searching for any information on

Post by joyceo »

Teresac wrote:woooooooooooooooow. Im really emotional seeing that picture. Thankyou :-)

now thats exactly how i remember it.

My bedroom was the second bay in at the top left at the front

The pathway, it was so long and it was lined with fir trees and those bushes you can see. The building on the left in the background is the old peoples home :-) i used to love going to see them

I used to look at crystal palace from that bedroom window and it was like living a dream. You could see for miles and see the red flashing on the top of cystal palace tower thing. I have just had a lovely wave of thoughts come over me and recall also being in a bedroom at the back and was very ill. The staff used to sing, all i want is a room somewhere, far away from the cold night air, with someone who'd take good care oh wouldnt it be lovely.
Downstairs was our cloakroom and there were a row of sinks and we all had our own toothbrushes neatly placed on the side in a beaker with our name on it and our flannel.

To the right of the house was another little path and it led to the cooks cottage. Has that been knocked down too?

I assume it used to be used by the vicar before it turned into the Haven.

Im extremely pleased with the photo
carol.smith007@btinternet

The Haven

Post by carol.smith007@btinternet »

I was at the Haven from 1957 to 1969, Maybe I know some of you, i have some pictures of inside I could send to you.
The pictures already on the forum are great, nearly opposite the Haven was a SA home for the elderly called Ribblesdale, they were moved to the SA home built on the old Haven orchard site, ribblesdale was still empty when i left the Haven. When I was at the haven Brigadier West, Adjie and Major Joyce Barber were in charge and then taken over by Major Galloway
Carol
aussiebabe

Re: The Haven 42 crystal palace park road

Post by aussiebabe »

The pictures of The Haven was wonderful and so much bigger than i remembered! I lived there from 1969-1973 with my 3 brothers, Paul, Mark and Derek, and me, Sharon. Derek is my twin. Doe s anyone remember Major Crouch? I would love to contact her if she was alive still! Anyone else there/ Would love to see any photo's inside. I have a photo of me playing 'tea parties with another girl.My hair cut had a lot to be answered to!! Would like to contact others who were there. Is it easy to put photos onhere?.We went to Malcolm infant/junior school. Memories. All there was an escape party who run away out the back gate. i chickened out and come back but others got caught!!
sheilaR

Post by sheilaR »

Hiya I have an extremely vague memory of being in a children's home on the same road as Crystal Palace this was in 1954....I also remember a procession down the same road and Dave King was sat in one of the open air travel carts. The children's home was a big house quite old at the time....also a school I went to from there was quite a large modern school I was on the 2nd floor of the school I was 7 so it was an infant school....can anyone shed any light please?

sheila :?
Tish

Post by Tish »

Hi there,

I also lived at The Haven Children´s Home. I believe I was about six when I left there in 1970. I´m afraid I don´t have any photos to post though. It was a huge house and those beautiful photos brought back some vague memories.
patsy

Post by patsy »

I have just discovered this site, I lived at the Haven with my sisters for approx 6yrs between 1954 - 1960/1. Have great memories, Brig West, Adj Searl , Captain Hughes it was all girls then, all dressed the same, walking down Crystal Palace Park Road in crocodile form 2 by 2, doing displays at Westminster Central Hall, London, on the way back stopping off at the chip shop for 25 portion of chips, eating them in the dining room with hot cups of cocoa. I remember Josie Booker, Abi & Abioli, Shanti Somei, Joyce White, Bunty Davis, Jennifer Harper, post a reply if anyone was there at the same time
cj4099

Post by cj4099 »

Hi all,

I have just found this site and the picture of the Haven is great, I was there with my two other sisters between 1963-67 but to be honest not really sure how long for. I have some very vague memories of my time there but I do remember someone called Major BaBa (not sure I have spelt that right). It has been really interesting to read from others who spent some time there you all seem to have good memories. Would love to here from anyone who was there at that time. x:-
sarah.lincoln

Post by sarah.lincoln »

hi, hopefully im not too late to have `J.B` respond?... im perplexed to the initials, im Sarah and lived in the home for only a few years ( aged 2 - 6 I left in 1981) my sisters and brother where there also, Chris, Lizzie and Tony, they stayed after I left.
I remember a Theresa and have a picture with me and her (its in the loft i will try to salvage it and a couple of other images of me there to add to this sites collection of photos). I recall a Mandy too.
My biggest memory was that of blue peter and meeting, Sarah Greene, Peter Duncan and Simon Groom. I recall a Captain Randell, Mary and a Peter (all staff).... but other than that , my memory is kinda fuzzy... I was only young but if im given names im sure i will recall more.
I look forward to anyone responding to the details i have provided....
sarah.lincoln

Post by sarah.lincoln »

darn it forgot to add...... i remember sacha, a black coated dog, and in response to aussie babe i also attended malcom road nursery and infants.
3_Sisters

Post by 3_Sisters »

Wow - I've just discovered this site. I was at the Haven with my 2 sisters between 1959 - 1966(ish). I also remember Brigadier West, Adjie Searle, Major Barber, Captain Ferridge, Captain Hughes. The layout of the place is still as vivid for me today as it was then - I remember going down the back stairs to get to the garden and the garden room with all the outside toys and an old piano - which I couldn't resist. And the kitchen, dining room, scullery and 'boot room' where we all took turns 'on duty' if we were old enough. It was all girls then, and I remember lots of names and faces - have got some photos of some of us in the sitting room, on a day out at Chessington Zoo and 'doing a show' somewhere - and also one of Adjie Searle which I've attached. Am happy to share the others. I also remember Mr Heinneman's parties in summer and winter and the fact that we had a brand new outfit at these times, coat, dress, hat and shoes etc. instead of stuff out of the cupboards! What a very generous man he must have been - would love to know more about him. I have some wonderful memories of the 7 years that I was there. Am happy to share photos.
SallyR

Post by SallyR »

I was at The Haven from 1961-1964 aged 5-8 years old and I have very happy memories also. I remember Adjie Mummy we called her, and Major Barber and Brigadier West......I remember a girl called Carol Bereham, I was in there with my younger sister Sue. If anyone has any photos that they can get on here that would be great.....
There was a air raid shelter covered with garden ornaments of ducks and rabbits etc. I also remember doing a xmas nativity at Westminster abbey I believe it was. If anyone has any photos of that ......I was one of the letters spelling out Merry Christmas on the stage....
Loved to hear from anyone that was there in those years x

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
SallyR

Post by SallyR »

Looking at that black and white photo of Adjie Searle, it looks like the air raid shelter is behind her......I can see the ornaments in the back ground.
She also has a little white poodle .......

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Spring

Post by Spring »

Well, where to begin?! Hello all out there who were residing at The Haven between 1970 to 1981.
I recognise and remember many names of people who I shared time with there.
Lets start with us children:
Teresa, Beverley & Gary
Janet & Jackie
Margaret, Valerie & Lesley
Cecelia, Edwin & another sister?
Mark & Tracey
Sarah
Sharon, Mark & Derek
Mandy

Then some staff:
Captain Hughes
Major Crouch
Isabel
Francis
Mick ( Big Scottish man)
Mary
Captain Randall

And of course the dog Sasha!
There are so many others, I just can't recall all names!

I went to Malcolm Infant & Primary school in Penge and then to Rockhills Secondary school. I remember huge Easter egg, which we got from Blue Peter. I have that photograph, lots of faces there! (Hi Sarah!) Yes who is JB?
Also, Meal times................washing & drying up! And spelling out Merry Christmas on Stage!
So many memories but need prompting. Hi also to Sharon and Teresa.

Gillian
barrwill52

Post by barrwill52 »

Hi, I have just found this on the website. My name is Barrie Williams and I have a brother Terry, an older sister Frances and a younger sister Nicola. We went into the Haven in March 1970 and were there till June 1972.
I was 8 years old when I went into the Haven. We had Captain Jarvis Whitehead, Captain Hawthorne and Major
Calloway and I attended Malcolm Primary School in Penge. I am interested in sharing memories with children I used to know there - especially the Davey family, Jennifer and Lorraine Davey - also any other people who may have known me and
my brother and two sisters at the Haven - 1970-72. I have lived in Devon for the past 20 years and I am married with one son and one daughter. I do have very mixed memories of the Haven and our 2 years has had an effect on all of us in one way or another.

I wonder if anyone would actually like to share memories and possibly arrange a reunion in Crystal Palace sometime?

My phone number is 01803 428510
ang

Post by ang »

Hello
I was in the haven in the mid sixties. I'm trying to find photos of the shows we did for the centenary. I have one of us at congress hall that I want to post on here but can't work out how to do it.
If anyone has any photos, please share and if someone can tell me how to get a photo on here I will put it on.
Thank you. ang
SallyR

Post by SallyR »

Hi, me and my sister Sue was at the Haven from 1961-1964
The only girl I can remember is Carol Bareham
The staff was Major Barber, and Aji Mummy we called her I don't know her real name, she had a little white poodle.
I have very happy memories of the home, and remember the air raid shelter in the gardens with all the ducks and rabbits on the top of it.
I remember doing some stage shows, but I don't have any photos,
I also remember holding up a letter spelling out the word Happy Christmas on stage.
Sally xx
SallyR

Post by SallyR »

Hi Ang,
I would love to see that photo, I could be in it, you never know.
I have two photos of the Haven itself, someone put them on this forum a couple of years ago.
If you let me have your email address I could send them to you
Sally x
3_Sisters

Post by 3_Sisters »

Hi, I posted the photo of Adji Searle - but I can't see it now - seems to have disappeared! I've got 4 more that I'd like to load but I can't see how to do it. I remember Carol Bareham, Sally and Susan Redgrave, Abiola and Ayo Ogunsula, Marion Creasey, Florrie Perrin, Maria and Anita Mardell, Nancy? and Barbara Young, Nora?, Esther?, Sandra? Carol, Sally and Susan are in these photos and so are some of the other girls I've named. If you want me to send you these then post me a message. I'd love to see yours if you have any.

I'm trying 'copy' of photos to this site but it might not work.
Haven Sitting Room1.jpgAdjie Major Searle.jpg
Chessington1.jpg
Chessington2.jpg
Chessington3.jpg
Haven Show.jpg