5-a-side footie

Home of 5-a-side footie and any other Sydenham Club who needs a forum for discussion or planning
Ulysses

Re: 5-a-side footie

Post by Ulysses »

Cheers Sydders. We're 13 so far this week. PItch 4 at 8.30 in case anyone is running late.

Can we please have another think about covering the gaffers slot for 2 weeks as of the 28th of this month? It might be nice for it to be someone who hasn't had a turn yet...
Diamondmaker

Post by Diamondmaker »

I'll take over for the 28th if you need someone Greg
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

Diamondmaker wrote:I'll take over for the 28th if you need someone Greg
Nice one Aidan. I'll be away for the games on the 1st and 8th of September. Of course if you find you love the gig too much and want to carrry on then that's your call; otherwise I'll resume my duties as of the 15th.
bazwaldo

Post by bazwaldo »

Apologies, thought I'd posted last week but see I can't have done as not on the list.
I'm coming tomorrow night, see you then.
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

I did wonder what had happened to you mate. Even better that you're coming as we're now 14:

1, Ulysses
2, Parklife
3, Diamondmaker
4, Biscuitman1978
5, AliB
6, Droidathon
7, Chazza
8, Middlesborough
9, Donny
10, Trickster
11, Chrelcombe
12, Kristian
13, Sydders
14, Bazwaldo
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

i got 4 touches of the ball tonight, which is all i needed to show my (lack of) footballing skill. It took me a while to work out the new calls to teammates. For the first 15 minutes, everytime someone shouted 'time', i looked at my watch.
my knee hurts, my joints will seize by tomorrow, but i'm very pleased to see some old friends and to have met some new ones.

Thank you for putting up with a vastly overweight piece of lard who has zero spatial awareness and the pace of an elderly snail.

If i am welcome again, i would like to think i will gradually increase my stamina, pace and footballing skill over time.

i'm in for next week (18th)
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

I thought tonight was perhaps the best game for some time.

Ali; with constant attendance comes touch, pace and skill...or so I'm told. I've yet to find this out for myself despite my constant outings!

Please post availability for 18th August:

1, AliB
2, Ulysses
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Just a reminder that this isn't a clique, or members only activity. If I'm allowed to play, then anyone has a more than realistic chance.
I also apologise for getting people's names wrong. I called Chazza Charles and a lot of people were subjected to my default name of 'Dave'.

I have no idea of Bazwldo's name, so he was 'Baz'.

I would post some photos from this evening, but flickr have changed the procedure. I need help to upload the pictures.

And finally, if we get odd numbers next week, i don't mind sitting out for some of the match, because i have no doubt this will take me a few weeks to turn my fatness into fitness
parklife

Post by parklife »

I'm in for 18th
Diamondmaker

Post by Diamondmaker »

In
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

Just a quickie re: the kitty.

After a number of lean weeks where we were losing anywhere from £5 to £11 per week the kitty is back up to £36. Not as healthy as it has been but nights like last night help as the 14 players allowed us to swell the kitty by £15 in one evening (took £98 and the pitch cost was £83).

A few more games on the 7s pitch with 14 players and we'll be back to where it was pre-my kit splurge and the Summer 'silly season'.
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

I'm in.
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

I'm in provided nobody minds me staying in goal for the entire game. I saw the physio at work today and she suggested no running for four weeks and no kicking for eight - apparently kicking is much harder on the quads than running.
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

Chazza wrote:I'm in provided nobody minds me staying in goal for the entire game. I saw the physio at work today and she suggested no running for four weeks and no kicking for eight - apparently kicking is much harder on the quads than running.
No problem with me Stephen. Maybe there's another budding Grobbelar amongst us who doesn't mind stopping in nets all game.

Mainly, I think we use the goalie position as a bit of a respite but if someone else wants to come forward and stick in nets then just holler! It's great to have someone who likes being in goals - especially as certain regulars seem to have had an aversion to going in goals...naming no names :twisted:
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

I still ache.

I have seen some postcards in the local newsagent window advertising a visiting massage service. Are these worthwhile ? I don't want to be pulled-off next week

:D or do i ?
Columbus

Post by Columbus »

IN for wednesday 18th august.
cyclesteve

Post by cyclesteve »

Just announcing my comeback game for the 18th ........ No paps please 8)
mattcottis

Post by mattcottis »

hi
am moving to mayow road in september and looking to get a local game of footie.
are you still looking for extra players?

cheers
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Matt, i don't wish to speak out of turn. 5-a-side footie is not my baby. However, I can guarantee a warm welcome to you, or indeed any other new players. The standard of play is variable, but lies somewhere between ultra-competitive and reasonable standard. There is never any OTT play, as there is never a referee.

The centre has showers, changing room and bar area with Sky and terrestrial TV. Most importantly, the group are friendly, sociable and extremely likeable. £7 a match fora minimum of 1 hour

I'll let those in charge pass on the details when they are next on-line
mattcottis

Post by mattcottis »

Great, Cheers Alib, that sounds perfect