5-a-side footie

Home of 5-a-side footie and any other Sydenham Club who needs a forum for discussion or planning
Ulysses

Re: 5-a-side footie

Post by Ulysses »

Alex,

Thanks for the thoughts. Before I give my own, some info on a potential banana skin for next week...

Last night I was called by one of the team at Goals. Despite having rebooked when I paid on Weds they asked if I could move the booking (effectively). I would not say the call went as they had hoped but it was clear they want to block book someone into the Weds 8.30 slot and we're scuppering this. This is exacerbated by them calling EVERY Sunday (and some other days besides) to ask about bookings even though I explain every time there's a new gaffer and I'm no longer sorting the bookings and, in some cases, I've already booked! Less than useless.

So, I'm up for finding an alternative venue. £8 is really only 2 pints in the ever excellent The Dolphin but I do fear they'll just keep on putting prices up. It's not as if they've refurbed that hideous bar (honestly I'd rather sink one in The Golden Lion than suffer that bar; they're both awesomely bad!) or improved any other aspects - the floodlights are pretty weak...

In not so short, assuming next weeks booking is honoured as it should be we can discuss then but initially I'm keen to go elsewhere but not so keen to change times/days. I walk to Goals most weeks and it's a bit of a schlep. Kangley Bridge is a quicker if not so pleasant walk. Might be a trade off worth considering for me.
Marathon

Post by Marathon »

I'm happy to find an alternative especially if Goals are prepared to oust us off the sevens. Nice way to treat a group that gave played virtually every week for the last 18 months. Monday is cool with me. Good suggestion Alex

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Powell

Post by Powell »

No problem, whatever we decide I’m guaranteed to be there every week, not matter date/cost or venue

I know with going to the bridge leisure centre will mean we would have to change from a Wednesday to a Monday but with such low costs it might benefit everyone as well

When I spoke to the young lady yesterday they normally only rent the pitch on the hour 6:00-7:00, 7:00-8:00, 8:00-9:00 but they will accommodate us for an 8:30 – 9:30 on the Monday but we would have to block book this, but with the price at only £32 hopefully won’t be a problem plus we would be Guaranteed it every week

Yet this might be a problem for players to come so guess we have to see how many can actually make it on a Monday, but sooner the better so if we do change we can grab the Monday

Hope everyone is well

Alex
sydders

Post by sydders »

Hi,

Sorry I won't be able to do it next week. It's been very busy at the office in Jan but I should be able to resume playing on 02/02.

I'm flexible regarding dates (except Tuesdays) and venues, but it'd be great if we could keep same time (8h30pm).

Cheers

Sydders
Donny

Post by Donny »

I hope to be back playing the week after next and pleased to see numbers are holding up.

"don't play, pay" is difficult to enforce so if you blow out at the last minute its up to you to volunteer the money the following week. However if we do go for a change of scenery and block book we'd need to rethink this...

Goals also ring & text me every week - who'd work in sales, eh?

Alex - thanks for your suggestion of an alternative at a great price. I could play Mondays but aware this may not be the case for all - please could you respond with your thoughts on Monday nights?

At £32 a week we wouldn't have the worry of going into negative and I'd be happy to stump up in advance. Plus at that price if for we don't have enough for a game its not the end of the world.

Anyone played there?
How big is the pitch?
Suitable for 5's and 7s?
Is there a bar?
Parking etc?

If not I'll pop down there over the next week and report back.

Monday possibles so far:
Powell (and potential next gaffer!)
Marathon
Ulysees
Donny
Sydders
Marathon

Post by Marathon »

Did I forget to say that I'm in for weds?

chrelcombe

Post by chrelcombe »

I'm certainly fine with Mondays, and an 8pm slot would if anything be slightly better from my point of view. £32 sounds too good to be true and I guess the facilities might not be quite as good - but possibly still fine, and for the price, definitely worth looking into - as Alex says, £8 a week does mount up.
biscuitman1978

5-a-side footie

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Many thanks for looking into this, Alex.

Mondays would be fine with me. If necessary, 8pm is doable, but I'd prefer to stick at 8:30pm.

By the way, some lads in Forest Hill are organising an informal Sunday kickabout. Tim Lund has posted a link in another thread in the Town Sports Centre. I might join them when I get a spare Sunday. Maybe see some of you there!
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

I must admit that whilst this debate over 'homegrounds' is timely and much needed I'm struggling to ascertain numbers for next Weds - partly of my own making by continuing the debate.

So: Please, whilst offering our 2penneth over moving grounds can we also confirm availablity for next week?

How close are the parallels??? CPFC move from Sydenham (well 'Crystal Palace' is Upper Norwood really, they just nicked the posher name that was linked to haughty Sydders, the charlatans!) and spend time in the wilderness. We form outside of our spiritual home and around the same time come 'home'...ish

Incidentally, are there pitches in Sydenham Hill Park, sorry, 'Crystal Palace Park'? Might be worth looking at those also?
Syd_Stone

Post by Syd_Stone »

I've organised five-a-side at Crystal Palace since 1999 (we're the group 'Monday Fives' on Facebook) and I can confirm there's a decent (indoor) five-a-side pitch there. It has the same rubber crumb astroturf as Goals, but a much bigger area (we've no problem running six against six on it). If you know all about it, please excuse my ignorance! Otherwise: might be worth a shot.

We currently play on the bar pitch, which is behind the main stadium and right next to the indoor pitch. I couldn't tell you what they would charge for the indoor pitch these days, nor whether your preferred slot is available, but I'd be surprised if it isn't cheaper than Goals. Give either Veron or Hannah a call on 020 8768 8117 and see what they say.

And if you do take up residence at the NSC, we'll have to take your lot on in a gala match (quickly, mind - if CPFC or Spurs have their way, we'll be turfed out ourselves soon).
Powell

Post by Powell »

No Problem guys, just willing to do my part

As for next Wednesday, I’m guaranteed to be there; also one of my work mates wants to join us for a game with his mate so hopefully that will make up needed numbers for Wednesday.

Donny, don’t know about potential being the next gaffer but willing to do my part if it benefits everyone, plus I’m still the newbie at the moment.

I guess on Wednesday, everyone that turns up can discuss about moving to a Monday if it suits everyone or on here, but the sooner the better so we can get the time we want, I’ve not been down there to check it out the pitch but I can pop down tonight to check it out.

As for Crystal Palace I’m easy, if that’s better for everyone then I don’t mind
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

Thanks for your comments Syd_Stone.

I must admit I do read some of the rest of the forum and it was your post - on the thread about CPFC coming home - that alerted me to the fact that there were some there at all.

So, thank you for that. I am not sure I would have known otherwise.

I do go to the park and wonder if the hockey pitch would be applicable for a 7s game? It's just that the reason we play on the 7s is that we've somewhat outgrown the 5s and any more than 12 is sardine-like on the smaller pitch. 'Goals' have a pitch that is twice the size of a 5s and that's the one we prefer.

Rather than try to describe it would you mind if I came to look on Monday evening?

Please text/call me if you're amenable: 07531 493337

Gregory.
Powell

Post by Powell »

biscuitman1978 wrote:Many thanks for looking into this, Alex.

Mondays would be fine with me. If necessary, 8pm is doable, but I'd prefer to stick at 8:30pm.

By the way, some lads in Forest Hill are organising an informal Sunday kickabout. Tim Lund has posted a link in another thread in the Town Sports Centre. I might join them when I get a spare Sunday. Maybe see some of you there!
might be interested myself, if you go let me know and i might pop down aswel
bazwaldo

Post by bazwaldo »

I am IN for next Wednesday. I can't believe we didn't grab a goal last week, but some solid defending by the defence (and the woodwork) to be fair!

I would be happy to move to Monday night, 8 or 8:30 both fine and support the move at that price if the pitch is broadly the same quality and size. Goals does give us that flexibility to move to a smaller pitch when we have a quieter week in terms of players availability, does The Bridge give us that or would we have to defer to Goals on those quieter weeks?

Did I hear someone say there was a separate new link on the Town Sports Centre forum. Outrageous! :D
biscuitman1978

5-a-side footie

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Confirmed so far for Wednesday:
1. biscuitman1978
2. Ulysses
3. Fatbackfour
4. Redhead
5. steve
6. Swartie
7. Marathon
8. Powell
9. Powell’s + 1
10. Powell’s +2
11. bazwaldo

Any more?
Syd_Stone

Post by Syd_Stone »

The bar pitch and the hockey pitch are one and the same, I think. Our group varies between 10 and 16 players, so we typically use the hockey goals and use space markers to divide the pitch in half.

Any more than 12 on the indoor pitch and it's too busy, so the bar pitch is the one. More than happy to see you on Monday if you want to have a look around at both pitches. I'm there from 5:50pm, but I'll text you separately.

If there's one thing that Crystal Palace falls down on, it's facilities. They don't provide a ball, and the showers aren't the best. But still, it's serviceable enough - and obviously, it's wonderfully local.
Marbleman

Post by Marbleman »

Hi guys first things first I'm def up for next weds.

Before I joined the syders massive weds night kickabout I played at the Bridge every Monday night, as a pitch it looks great now owning to health n safety reasons ( I'm not saying any more on here under my solicitors advice)
Parking is plentiful due to the leisure centres own carpark. Basically you have all the facilities of a decent local leisure centre but I warn you the bar is worse than Goals and I don't think they have large screen showings of the big games.
As for my leanings, I'll be happy to play virtually anywhere regardless of time and day.
Lastly it's me .... Cyclesteve .... I can't log-in on my username for some loony reason.

Middlesbrough

Post by Middlesbrough »

Hi all, I am in for Wednesday.

Unfortunately I would be out for Monday evenings - there had to be one who would not be able to make it. My wife has choir practice on a Monday evening and I could not scupper her plans as she pointed me towards this forum to stop me constantly moaning about not being able to play football.

Any other night would be fine, and I do not really care about the venue - having said that CP would be good as it is a short walk through the park for me, although probably a longer one back again after they have locked the gates. 8pm kick off would be fine as well but would probably struggle with anything earlier.
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

I make us 13. 11 without Alex's mates*.

We'll take a vote on moving pitches on Weds as it's not one persons decision and it'd be good to understand if by doing so we lose valuable members like Darren (Middlesborough). I'm incredibly keen to avoid this. Goals are being eerily quiet about what's happening with our booking so I will make sure I chase them today. Please be aware it might not be good news.

@ Syd_Stone: Thank you for your texts. I'll call you today if that's OK? I was out in Cockernee Sparrah land last night (Shoreditch) and I must admit it's the most overrated place I've ever been to in London. It [Hoxton and Shoreditch] makes Sydders High Street look posh and yet people flock to it! Bizarre. Anyway, thought you'd perhaps appreciate me calling when sober and not doing my best Danny Dyer impression to fit in!

Geeeeeeeeeezaaaah!

*Can you please 100% confirm them Alex else I don't think it fair to count them either way.
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

Edit/update:

I've literally just come off the 'phone with Syd_Stone. I'm going to go and play with his lads on Monday to check out the facilities. Use them in anger, so to speak. If nothing else it'll be good to have another team locally to perhaps pit our wits against - the odd 11-a-side per chance?

@Powell: Would you be able to do a recce of Kangley Bridge?

I think we're being f**ked in the a*s by Goals. Both in terms of price and customer service etc. So, crudity aside, this might be a worthwhile exercise to find alternative venues at a more acceptable cost.