Plea to Cyclists

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Janeco

Plea to Cyclists

Post by Janeco »

I was harangued this evening by a cyclist who banged on my car window saying hadn't I seen him and I that I had almost run him over. This was emerging from Sainsbury's Bell Green opposite the new flats after dark. Indeed I had not seen him and I pointed out to him that there was no light on his bike. He was dressed in dark blue and had a dark helmet on. Please could cyclists ensure they wear reflective clothing, especially at night, and have lighting front and rear on their bikes. They have as much responsibility as car drivers to ensure they can be seen and a car driver would soon be pulled up for having no lights. He wasn't inclined to engage in conversation and drove off at speed through a red light.
I am a careful and cautious driver and have never had an accident but there are so many cyclists on the road now (many of them riding quite aggressively and weaving in and out of the traffic) that they make driving quite scary at times and manoeuvring out of turnings can be difficult.
I long for the day when there are dedicated bike paths everywhere for cyclists (no not the pavements!).
Anyway, rant over.
JRobinson

Re: Plea to Cyclists

Post by JRobinson »

I quite agree - cyclist (and all other public highway utilisers) should obey the laws of the highway code.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Oh Dear
Quite agree . Should have light and easily seen clothing.

I expect HB will agree 100% .
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

JRobinson wrote:I quite agree - cyclist (and all other public highway utilisers) should obey the laws of the highway code.
Shush!!!!!!

Don't let "THEM" hear you. You'll be chastised in to giving up driving if you're not careful by the never do no wrong brigade, MAMILS are rife round these ere parts dontcha know?

:lol:
wrightie

Post by wrightie »

I often advise fellow cyclists the batteries in their lights need replacing (dull lights are almost as bad as none), or that their panniers are obscuring the rear light. Possibly excessive, I have lights on the bike, helmet and my person! It's not just cyclists, I've had countless near misses whilst driving, with pedestrians crossing blindly wearing dark clothing, almost invisible!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Tadpole

Post by Tadpole »

I drive a car, ride a bike and walk in Sydenham and I have to agree with you. I see many cyclists with no lights, jumping lights and indeed have been bumped into by a cyclist whilst crossing the road with the green man telling me I could.
I'd like to see cyclists have to take a riding test to get a licence before they can use the roads, and have their bike taken away from them if they ride without obtaining one. A poor rider is a danger but not only to himself, but others too.
Mind you I have seen pedestrians who could do with the same!