Activities for babies

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
claireclaire

Activities for babies

Post by claireclaire »

Hello all, can anyone tell me what activities there are in Sydenham / Forest Hill area for babies? So far I really only know about the One O'clock club in Crystal Palace Park. Apparently there are some storytelling sessions at the Horniman or something? Anyone got details of that, and any other suggestions of what to do with a 6-month old? Many thanks.
mummycat

Sydenham Library Under 5's group

Post by mummycat »

Hi ClaireClaire

Every Tuesday in Term time there's an under 5's group at Sydenham Library between 10 and 10:30am. This usually involves a few short stories, songs and a relaxed activity, such as colouring in relating to a book characters. This maybe a bit advanced for your baby, although a few do attend!

Also every month, the Bellingham Toy Library visit with a selection of toys, some of which are suitable for babies. On this day, it's just a short story and then PLAYTIME! Recently I've been with my 3yr old and it's becoming really popular....and it's free! The next session is next Tuesday (15th May) at the library on Sydenham Road. Other dates are displayed within the library or phone to check.

I've heard there are specific times for Mother and Baby swims at The Bridge Leisure centre, twice a week. I picked up a brochure from the library produced by Lewisham on Children's Facilities in the Borough, although the maps are wrong and a few typos, it's quite a useful starting point.

Mummycat
Dotkin

Post by Dotkin »

Hi Claire
There is a playgroup at the Catholic church on Sydenham high st apparently but I haven't been as it's 9:15 - 11:15 - my baby is usually asleep around that time... has anone else been to this club??

My address falls under the Borough of Bromley so my SureStart is in Penge - is there one for Sydenham? They are ususally really good for baby and toddler classes. At Penge they have a class called "Bumps to One"every week on a tuesday 10:30 til 12:30 - not sure if anyone can just turn up. A lot of other playgroups are mainly for toddlers really and I've found them a bit noisy. Do you know many mums in the area? A group from my post natal classes meets up every couple of weeks for a walk around Crystal Palace park - you are welcome to join in if you like - one of the women in my post natal group sent me this list of other activities too:

Swimming lessons @ The Spa in Beckenham – every day but you will need to sign up in March for summer term (call them for details), also hold lessons in Kanley Bridge that you show up on a weekly basis for but they are busy I have heard.

Cinema (with babies under one) @ Clapham and Greenwich Picture Houses (Greenwich is 11:30 on Fridays), also Rizty in Brixton

Cheap music class – Every other Thursday - Venner Road Hall (next door but one to HSBC) – only a £1

M Group - Monday 10 to 11:30, Beckenham (corner of Bevington Road), NCT playgroup

Bromley NCT – Tuesday 10:15 United Reform Church (nr Boots) – a proper organised post natal discussion group and play group www.nct.org.uk

Library – Forest Hill, Penge, Anerley and Beckenham all do nursery rhyme sessions that are good from 12 weeks, Sydenham Library does the same thing but when I went it was rubbish!

Holy Trinity Playgroup, Lennard Road – playgroup with baby area, Tuesday 1:30 to 3pm

Caterpillar Music : Cost: £45.50 for 10 consecutive classes + £10 membership (currently free)

Time: Weds 11 to 11:40

Alternative location at different times: Penge, Beckenham, Dulwich and Bromley, also running a summer session 10am every Weds in August for £22 in SE26

Monkey Music: Cost: not sure but similar to Caterpillar

Time: Thurs am for 30 mins

Alternative location at different times: Beckenham, Forest Hill, Crystal Palace

Salvation Army – Penge,

Here for Good shop – High Street, Sydenham, playgroup on Friday mornings at 10am. Nice toys I hear.

Baby Massage – Crystal Palace, 0208 6534781

Also in East Dulwich there is “sing and sign”, “tumbletots” and “power pramming” – all have web sites!

Hope there is something there for you! By the way I am the woman you met in the antenatal yoga class then keep bumping into around sydenham and Penge!!
Jeannie

Monkey Music

Post by Jeannie »

I've heard of something called Monkey Music which caters for babies and toddlers, they have a website:

http://www.monkeymusic.co.uk/contact.php

Was thinking of doing some work with their Forest Hill or Crystal Palace branch so maybe see you there if I'm lucky! :wink:
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

Are you aware of The Big Toddle walk round Dulwich Park on Monday 2nd July? Its for children under the age of 5 and its in aid of Bernados Children's Charity. If you Google 'big toddle' you will see all the details. Its half a mile and from the looks of last years pics it looks like a lot of fun. Providing the weather is ok.