Dentist with sedation clinic

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Savvy

Dentist with sedation clinic

Post by Savvy »

Hi, I'm in pain and am miserable with yet another abcess behind a tooth. Does anyone know of a dentist who will sedate a frightened yet desperate patient ? I have been to Kent House before and they are good (they don't do sedation) but if I could be knocked out I would be much relieved.

Thanks.
Annie.

Re: Dentist with sedation clinic

Post by Annie. »

Why don't you pop into Kings College hospital , they have dental facilities there for emergencies

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

Oh Annie, I did go there around 8 years ago and had an awful experience. The receptionist was behind bullet proof glass, and she was very weary, emphasising that if I didn't have £36 to pay on the spot I would not be seen. When I got through I was patronised and made to feel like an idiot in equal measure. I came out crying feeling worse than I did before. After that I did get myself a dentist in Beckenham so I do have somewhere to go but it seems my fear is getting worse as I get older. Its ridiculous I know. Maybe there is some self help manual I can read.
pip

Post by pip »

Hi Savvy,
I am pretty sure the one on Perry Vale can help you http://www.yell.com/biz/perry-vale-dent ... on-358742/
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Ok,how about Bolney court practice in Lawrie Park road? I have used them for at least 25 yrs.

marymck

Post by marymck »

Jenny Pinder at bupa in Cornhill is amazing with nervous patients.

Also St Thomas's has a dental clinic where they give you lots of lovely mellow mood making drugs. I had a tooth out there and can highly recommend them and their substances.

mosy

Post by mosy »

It sounds as if you need antibiotics and a mouthwash rather than sedation. The usual tincture of cloves is good (chemist) to "paint" around the affected area for pain. Hot-ish water salt rinses work too. If you can do it, swilling your mouth round (then spit out) with neat vodka numbs abscesses wonderfully. True that.

Dentists don't usually sedate "fully under" as they need properly trained anaesthetist and full medical history, so probably are looking at a hospital, but doubt they'd put you under if antibiotics would clear the abscess.

You could ask a dentist to give you whatever the maximum dose allowed of lignocain(?) (injected gum anaesthetic) is; I found they gave me only half a dose so less numb but with my antics in the chair soon agreed to give me a bigger dose. A dentist won't give that unless about to work on a tooth and an abscess can be caused by a loose rather than bad tooth. Go and see your "favourite one" and see what they say. Once the abscess is sorted, actual toothwork if any will be much less to worry about.

Hug meanwhile.

Harunani's surgery, on the corner this side of Forest HIll station pedestrian underpass on Dartmouth Road, take private patients on Sat mornings 020 8699 1234. Good luck.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

Many thanks for all hour help. I got a docs appt for the a beds on Friday evening and have antiBs. It's gone down already. I am absolutely determined to get my teeth sorted and will have a read around and Man Up.

Savvy

Post by Savvy »

Just an update... I gave myself a proper old talking to, practiced some deep breathing and took my husband along. Now it Thursday and I have been to two appointments in two days. I have been xray'd, I have been drilled, I have been prodded and I have been v brave (I think anyuway). Actually, it wasn't bad at all, the dentist at Kent House Surgery was very gentle and kind and I now have a temporary cap with the new one ordered and planned to be in place in two weeks.
There is lots of work to do, lots of cleaning - and its not cheap ! But I am really looking forward to a future full of healthy teeth and gums.

Thanks for all your suggestions and support.
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

A visit to the dentist is never nice, my eldest girl works at Kings in the dental department, I'd broken a wisdom tooth and the bottom one had root canal treatment which eventually fell apart and a third big tooth at the back broke when I was eating a baguette. I asked if she could help me as the pain was really bad, she said I could see a trainee to get it done quicker, after some deliberation I agreed to go and get them fixed, the main doc had a look and said all three would have to come out and they could do it in one go if I went for a general anesthetic, I said I wanted it done on a local and he said are you sure???? I said go for it cos I can't stand the groggy feeling you get from it. By tooth three I demanded a 5 minute interval and that I couldn't handle his knee in my chest any longer without a break. After a 5 minute break he was at me again and snapped the tooth off with a crunching sound to my jaw. After that experience I can handle anything a dentist can throw at me especially when they say Does this hurt?. If it is really bad I've said do it again and I'll punch your lights out :D

Not nice and it takes bravery to go visit a dentist so well done.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

Cor, you're well 'ard you are. Sheesh....
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

Savvy wrote:Cor, you're well 'ard you are. Sheesh....
The horrendous pain of teeth with exposed nerves can drive a man to anything. :D