The excellent Billings

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Nigel

The excellent Billings

Post by Nigel »

It occurred to me today that I am actually beginning to take for granted the fact that we have an excellent butcher and fishmonger in Sydenham .
Rewinding a few years I would have skulking off to East Dulwich , in an outlandish disguise , buying my Christmas ham, lamb, sausages and bacon in Roses . Well not this time - how nice to amble down the high street and stock up in Billings . They know my whims and fancies , my proclivity for the pork pie and the treacle bacon , the turkey crown and the gammon joint .
I salute Amo , Hugh and Kiran and look forward to another year of unashamed pigging out .
A very good evening and a wonderful new year
Nigel
mosy

Re: The excellent Billings

Post by mosy »

Yes, I gather all the staff worked many more hours than usual, well into late evenings behind the scene, to keep everyone supplied and still they managed a cheery smile whilst listening carefully to each customer's individual requirements.

Thanks also to the many other shopkeepers who are always open early until very late.
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

Bought our Christmas bird and bacon there, veg just a few doors down. Was our first Christmas in Sydenham and having a good local butcher is a great thing :)
sparticus

Post by sparticus »

Yes, Billings is great. Used to go the the late lamented Parhams at the Chinese Garage in Beckenham which closed down years ago. IMHO Billings is better than the over-priced offerings in Forest Hill or East Dulwich. They are always very willing to source anything they don't have in stock, like game, and will cut and trim to request even when busy. A local shop for local people?
sarahsyd

Post by sarahsyd »

All their pork and chicken is free range, and so reasonably priced.

I agree that they are better than the alternatives in Dulwich etc. The shop may not be as pretty, but the service and product is just as good, and the prices better.

A beacon on the high street!
Earlybird

Post by Earlybird »

I have to agree with all the comment. I usually buy fish but the tuna is excellent and reasonably priced. Friendly staff too.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

+++
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

This Billings place really does sound like it is deserving of a bit more recognition...
Just spotted this on another forum regarding Radio 4's "you and yours" best retailer - an award that celebrates the local shops that enrich our lives, our high streets and our communities by selling delicious, great quality, affordable food.

Follow the link below to support Billings perhaps or any other local vendors worthy!

https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03nycpj/contact
amob

Post by amob »

Hello everyone,

I would just like to say a big thank you for your kind words and encouragement. It if it was not for the fantastic support of the Sydenham community a project like Billings would not be possible. If anyone has any improvement suggestions and ideas please feel free to get in contact with me, I would be more than happy to hear them.

Kind Regards,
Amar Billing.
Earl Grey

Post by Earl Grey »

Couldn't agree more re Billings. We've only been in Sydenham 6 months but Billings and the wonderful green grocers a few doors away (Fresh and Fruity is it?) and of course the Kirkdale bookshop are proving to be real assets. If only the other retailers on Syd high street could take note we'd have a real gem on our hands. Actaillu there are other good examples but those three are the star performers. Just been turned away at 5pm from Blue Mountain cafe because they are closing - despite the shop still being full. What kind of business sense is that?
Kate R Park

Post by Kate R Park »

Late to the party, but can only echo sentiments about Billings. The guys there are really helpful and Kiran is a bit of a demon fish filletter. We don't go anywhere else for meat and fish now - and their cooked ham is fantastic!

Prices are excellent - I'm often surprised by how cheap some fresh meat is, and the quality is so good, you can use cheaper cuts in many cases.
paultee76

Post by paultee76 »

All for the cheaper cuts.

I can strongly recommend the beef shin on the bone from Billings and cook it for low and slow for at least 6 hours...beef heaven even though it looks like a big cow cankle to start with....
hilsbee

Post by hilsbee »

Latest on Facebook from Billings:
On the 6th of April we will be introducing a deli range at Billings. Quality cheese, delicious olives and a large charcuterie selection. We cannot wait, very exciting!

This sounds fabulous and I will look forward to going in to see what is on offer!
Hils
Kirkdalian

Post by Kirkdalian »

Oh how very exciting! I've been hoping for a deli down on the high street for ages. Also, we love Billings - they do mean gluten-free sausages :-D