buggies on buses

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
floom

buggies on buses

Post by floom »

On a bus the other day, no less thanj four buggies on it, one of which was a double, so that really made five.

The aisles were completely blocked, and people getting on had no choice but to troop upstairs, whether they wanted to or not.

It's all getting a bit out of hand.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Floom,..take a deep breath and relax. Some of your comments regarding aggresive cyclists were quite valid, and I know how inconvenient push-chairs can be.....

But, we all have to try and live our lives. I mean, this wasn't a group of mothers who deliberately decided to get on the same bus to see how much inconvenience they could cause? They probably didn't have bullbars on the front of the prams? (I'm guessing).

Maybe if you thought the pram-pushers were being quite aggressive you should consider equiping yourself with a walking stick with which you could create some room between yourself and any prams or bicycles.
(And let me be quite clear, ...I am in no way suggesting violence here)

Hope this helps :D
conejito

Post by conejito »

and i would encourage people to use public transport wherever possible - its better that having 4 people carriers driving the streets of Sydenham...

Lee
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Yes it is getting a bit out of hand.. is there no end to floom's somewhat flimsy gripes?
floom

Post by floom »

Juwlz: Yes it is getting a bit out of hand.. is there no end to floom's somewhat flimsy gripes?
So what do you do? Put up with each and every nuisance with a vacant smile on your face?

If no one ever says or does anything, things get worse!
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

This has got to be a wind-up. I'm not falling for it.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

I agree Julwz. There is no way a bus driver would allow 5 buggies onto a bus. Two is ok but after that the (third)buggy-bearer would be asked to fold or wait for the next bus. And in anycase a double-buggy would not go down the aisle - its hard enough with one!
user100

Post by user100 »

Keep going folks.

This could get as good as the famous cheese thread if we all keep responding :-)
floom

Post by floom »

Savvy: There is no way a bus driver would allow 5 buggies onto a bus.
Sorry, but that's what I saw. (3 plus a "double". Why would I want to complain about something that never happened?

Why did the driver let them on? Probably because he was too stupid to bother.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

This is a wind-up? :shock:

The point being (Floom) that you haven't complained.....have you?

At the time of the alleged incident did you speak to the driver, or the offending pram-pushers? Did you note the reg number of the bus/time of incident and phone/write a letter of complaint to the bus company?

Or did you(in your words) "put up with it with a vacant smile on your face" and post on an internet message board.?

Sorry to sound harsh, but too many people expect others to act on their behalf when they could have taken action themselves. And you didn't state what action, as an individual, you took....so i assumed not a lot.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

....ah....what you saw was a 'one seat behind the other' rather than the 'side by side' type. Yes, that would go down the isle.
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

Maybe if the council insituted a policy of slaughting the first born of each family inconveniences like this will be a thing of the past.
I suggest that we write to our local councillors about this.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Yes stone-penge, good idea. We need to stamp down on these selfish mothers and babies using public transport. Why- oh-why can't they drive their offspring around in 4x4's like decent citizens.
KCS

Post by KCS »

floom wrote:
Savvy: There is no way a bus driver would allow 5 buggies onto a bus.
Why did the driver let them on? Probably because he was too stupid to bother.

Maybe he/she never wanted to be:-

1) Shouted at
2) Sworn at
3) Spat at

Or just verbally abused!

Maybe he/she never realised how many buggies they already had on, I mean they have a few little other bits and bobs to deal with you know like driving the bus :wink:

You could be right though maybe they just could not be bothered with the hassle, why should they be when TFL has not set a limit on the amount of buggies on a bus at any one time, TFL leave the responsibility to the driver so it's got to be the drivers fault. :roll:
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

I use buses fairly regularly and the only time I have ever seen abuse is when a DRIVER abused a passenger. It was a male driver and he insisted that a lady fold her buggy. He then took off with a jerk then braked sharply causing the toddler to fall and bang her head. When the mother complained to him he shouted her down and behaved most unproffessionally. I was so insensed that when it was time for me to get off I asked for his name (which he refused to give me) and shouted at me too! I did make a complaint though (describing him and which route he was on) and got a letter some weeks later thanking me and saying he had been reprimanded. I am very impressed with the school children who use the buses in this area, yes they are very loud and excitable and very slow at getting on and off but they are polite and well behaved. I never hear swearing I have never had reason to feel intimidated.
nork1
Location: Banned myself - can't be bothered with the Greg/Ulysses show anymore

Post by nork1 »

Savvy wrote:I use buses fairly regularly.... I am very impressed with the school children who use the buses in this area, yes they are very loud and excitable and very slow at getting on and off but they are polite and well behaved. I never hear swearing I have never had reason to feel intimidated.
What area/country/planet is that? I use buses every day between Sydenham and Lewisham and the schoolkids are a total bloody nightmare.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

I use the 122. I know they're a nightmare, they are full of hormones and they are in a world of their own but they're not scary. And they have every right to use the bus as anyone else..... even if they wait 7 mins for a bus and then get off at the very next and stop which would have taken them one minute to walk.
KCS

Post by KCS »

Savvy wrote:I use buses fairly regularly and the only time I have ever seen abuse is when a DRIVER abused a passenger.

Regularly at what time of day ?

Maybe you should get on a few buses between the times of 10pm and 1am Friday and Saturday nights, you'll see a different world, a world where people just walk straight past the driver without showing a valid pass or paying a fare, if the driver calls them back then there is a good chance the driver is stabbed, beaten up or at best spat at.

I remember a few month's ago in Wells Park Road where a few of the lovely local school children were playing a game of 'lets open the engine compartment when the bus stops at the bus stop so that the driver has to get out as the bus cannot move otherwise' and while he's out they can grab his cash tray and beat him up!!!!!!!

Poor driver was taken to hospital whilst police/forensics dusted for evidence.

Back to school peak time ................. I've seen drivers ask mothers politely to fold up there pram only to be completely ignored hence why 3 or 4 buggies end up blocking the aisle, has the driver really got a say...... not really!
KCS

Post by KCS »

Savvy wrote:He then took off with a jerk then braked sharply causing the toddler to fall and bang her head.
Buses are difficult to take off with a jerk since they are deliberately made to take off smoothly through the gears and as for braking sharply maybe this was necessary to avoid an accident.

With regards to the toddler falling and banging her head I'm sure this would be unintentional and not a deliberate act by the driver to harm the toddler in anyway. You were however perfectly within your rights to complain though for how the driver behaved, I would have also if he shouted at me.

I've been sitting on a bus when school kids started throwing chips at each other, also firing elastic bands which is intimidating when the target is sitting right in front of you. This just so happened to be a 122 as well so maybe you've been lucky so far.
leaf

Post by leaf »

"Buses are difficult to take off with a jerk since they are deliberately made to take off smoothly through the gears and as for braking sharply maybe this was necessary to avoid an accident"

It would be nice if the driver could wait 30 seconds until you are seated with your baby and pram etc,same goes for the old people you see flung down the aisle as drivers pull away..........