Meanwhile in Penge

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Bovine Juice

Meanwhile in Penge

Post by Bovine Juice »

Antic are coming! Opening in Goldsmiths in about 6 weeks.
Steveofsyd

Re: Meanwhile in Penge

Post by Steveofsyd »

Bloody typical if this is true....Sydenham will always suffer as a consequence of being in Lewisham.....
biscuitman1978

Meanwhile in Penge

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Steveofsyd wrote:Sydenham will always suffer as a consequence of being in Lewisham.....
Will it? Why?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

BJ

Where in Ponge is Goldsmiths .
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

I think it is near the 75 bus stop just up from that estate agents that used to be the sports shop.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Some idiot actually painted it gold if I remember rightly?
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

Yep, it's opposite Penge DIY on Croydon Road, just up from the crossroads. A short hop on the 75 or 194. It should be great as big beer garden too.

And believe me, it's got nothing to do with councils. Bromley don't give a fig about its northern urban outposts in Penge, Anerley and CP.
stephen509

Post by stephen509 »

Antic are also opening a pub in Bromley called the Railway Tavern.

They are also actively looking for a suitable site in Beckenham.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

They are really hospitable establishments and well run with excellent choices of ales.

The more the merrier
sarahsyd

Post by sarahsyd »

I just wish they could open a pub in Sydenham too.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Not impossible Sarah. You have Dartmouth Rd , but Sydenham itself sadly lacking in decent pubs.

Unfortunately Mary's efforts to keep the Windmill open , albeit more up market , were mocked by many. Shame.

Maybe this could be an Antic.
Ghlpc

Post by Ghlpc »

I have to say I'm often popping into the Dolphin, either on my own for a quick pint or sometimes with the kids for a light bite.

Ok it's a bit pricey, but they have a good selection of beers (Kozel on draft is lovely), I love the decor and mix match furniture, and the garden is large and relaxing on a sunny afternoon.
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

Ghipc

The Dolphin is good and has a great beer garden. However it is pricey and the beer predictable if decent. From a personal view though they need competition. Nowhere should be a one pub town and nipping from one to another or spending Friday night in one and Saturday in another is always great. The thought of a crawl going from the Dolphin to the relaunched Alex in Penge (hopefully late summer) to the Goldsmiths and then finishing off in the Moon and Stars, fills me with something approaching a trouser twinge.
Ghlpc

Post by Ghlpc »

Yep, totally agree.

Hopefully add the greyhound to that list at somepoint in our lifetime ....
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

It is a shame Antic haven't yet come to Sydenham. We were all so hopeful when the Greyhound was said to be being acquired by them. The Two Halfs (sic) would have been a perfect site too. Not enough was done to preserve that as a pub site in my opinion.

And like you Eagle, I think Mary did a wonderful job with the Windmill.

G-Man
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

Anyone have any idea what the plans are for the Railway Tavern on the St Circ in F/H?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

The Railway Tavern has been under new management for a few months now. They are closed for a few weeks for a total refurb. They do excellent food now, cocktails, and interesting evening events such as a Japanese whiskey tasting masterclass. Have a look at their posts on se23.com. They've put up a mood board to show how the pub will look, including a very lovely outdoor space.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I assume you mean Railway Telegraph , never heard of Railway Tavern in Forest Hill.

Over the years has not been a bad pub and one of the first to have Shep's locally.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

I thought they'd opened? My mates went there for Sunday lunch and said the food was mediocre. So, they're closed again for a complete refurb? It's a shame as I'd only just found out that various soul music legends used to perform there as warm up shows for London gigs, including Alexander O'Neill. I was reliably informed on twitter this would be no more under the new management.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v2cZKlOdP0

Cheers

G-Man
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Yes, Eagle, Telegraph not Tavern.

G-man - The new management took over directly from the previous owners but waited until now when trade is traditionally quiet to refurb. They'll be open again on 26th August. I've heard good things about their Sunday lunch so maybe your friends were unlucky.