Fox & Hounds

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Andrew

Fox & Hounds

Post by Andrew »

Without wishing to open up a discussion on the scale of The Dolphin or The Greyhound, does anyone know what's happening at The Fox & Hounds ? There's a small notice up on the door saying "Closed for Refurbishment" but no sign of any work for several weeks. I wonder if it'll be a repaint job, a full-scale makeover, or a transformation to "luxury" flats ?
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

This was mentioned in passing in the discussion on the Duke pub the other week:
http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... 30004a666b
(not easy to find I know - perhaps I should have started a new thread for it)

No planning application has been submitted, at least according to the Lewisham Council website. Swanky new flats are being built opposite, so you might think that there would be more of a demand for a more upmarket pub.
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

I'd hazard if the Fox & Hounds were to become a gastropub it'd be a great success (think the Dolphin but for Upper Sydenham). It would give the wealthy professional residents from Charleville Circus/Longton Avenue/Mount Ash Road/Hall Drive and Lawrie Park Avenue (etc, etc, etc) somewhere that is a tad more convenient than T.D.A or The Dolphin.

I'd certainly use it myself on occasion (The Dolphin will always have my trade first and foremost) as I think that parade of shops [High Street Buildings] is really rather beautiful architecturally. It might also give a shot-in-the-arm to the current plethora of boarded up shops along that stretch also as it seems Avalon, That's Amore and the Piano shop are holding onto the last vestiges of decent and acceptable stock and trade (anyone remember the hand-made kitchen gent of about 5 years ago, as one example?).

Sorry, I digress. I never ventured into the old Fox & Hounds for fear of meeting the less savoury element that seemed to be the regular clientele but I wonder if it would be big enough and have a garden sizeable enough to really do it justice? If it is then it might really up the ante and provide some competition for the young and upwardly mobile (never mind the resident and established wealth) of Sydenham that The Dolphin is currently enjoying a monopoly over?
nork1
Location: Banned myself - can't be bothered with the Greg/Ulysses show anymore

Post by nork1 »

Greg Whitehead wrote:I never ventured into the old Fox & Hounds for fear of meeting the less savoury element that seemed to be the regular clientele
Non-middle class pub regulars?
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Two months since the F&H "closed for refurbishment" and still no sign of the builders - does anyone know what's going on?
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Found this rare view of the Fox and Hounds just after opening in 1890!!!
If only we had a photo of the first F&H! The guy in Lewisham library told me something very significant about the first building, but I've completely forgotten--oh bummer!
kennyb2

Post by kennyb2 »

I never ever ever ever thought I would hear the words "wealthy professional" or even just "wealth" associated with Mount Ash road, or even Charleville Circus. :?
Mount Ash was just plain rough when I was a kid.
Charleville circus of my memory late 1960's was a rather gloomy and damp place mostly divided up into grotty bedsit flats with Polish landlords;
which is a funny thing, Sydenham and Penge always had a strong Polish element, guys who stayed on from the forces WW2 or fled Poland in the 50's after the uprising there.
There used to be an off licence by Penge East station whoch stocked Polish pure spirit, either 80 or 100 per cent proof, gawd what stuff, I couldn't drink enough of it to get drunk. Like swallowing fire.
Parish Lane also had a small grocer shop run by a Pole, Stephan, I think. until about 1980.
When did Hornimans restaurant disappear? I used to eat there circa 1987 and it was quite good, it used to be Mott the chemists before that.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Gorgeous picture Falkor, shame it looks a bit different these days! Such a lovely building though - I can only hope that it gets returned to something approaching its former glory one day.
annabel mclaren

Post by annabel mclaren »

In 1990 the Sydenham Society put forward a plan to the Council for the creation of an Upper Sydenham Conservation Area which would include the stretch of Kirkdale from Jews Walk to Halifax Street (among others) taking in the Fox and Hounds and High Street Buildings - the glorious Baroque edifice which adjoins the pub. We're currently dusting down this application and re-presenting it, plus plan to apply to English Heritage for listing of both the pub and High Street Buildings. We will also object to any change of use application that may come forward from the current owners of the pub. Fingers crossed for a brighter future for the Fox and Hounds!
annabel mclaren

Post by annabel mclaren »

Wonderful picture Falkor - thanks for finding it and putting it on the site. I wonder what the significant info you were told is...
Kenny - I think Hornimans changed hands in the early 90s. It's now a very good Italian restaurant called That's Amore where the landlord often serenades diners with Italian songs! It keeps up the musical tradition - Hornimans used to have a great pianist. Interestingly re Mount Ash Rd, Charleveille Circus etc - I guess these days they are what you might call 'gentrified', with properties that were once in multi-occupation once again whole houses. The large houses in Upper Sydenham and Crystal Palace are definitely part of an outward migration from wealthy west London, Clapham, Dulwich etc - hence their smarter appearance.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

The High Street Buildings, next to the Fox & Hounds have been for sale for the last few weeks via Wooster & Stock:
http://www.woosterstock.co.uk/Detail.php?id=60

Not sure if this is an opportunity or a threat?
Big Ben

Post by Big Ben »

Thanks for the info Thomas - let's hope it finds a sympathetic owner!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I hope to god they don't knock these ones down!