Tomato plants?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Tubby

Tomato plants?

Post by Tubby »

Hi all, does anyone have any spare tomato plants?

I usually have too many but this year I built a polytunnel to grow them in without adequate ventilation and they all rotted!

Could just get some from the garden centre, but thought I would try here on the offchance.

Cheers,
Will
JRobinson

Re: Tomato plants?

Post by JRobinson »

I just got rid of some - every time I plant anything using our own compost, I get several tomato plants grow at the same time - I pulled a load out a few weeks ago, and they're back on the heap.
you might be a bit late at the garden centres as well - tomato plants aren't doing well this year. Mine and my parents are all looking in a sorry state.
Conker

Post by Conker »

bit too far away to be any use with plants, but are you sure your plants have rotted rather than they have Blight?

mine are doing rather well I'm pleased to say.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Mine are doing fine as well - some (Gardener's Delight) in a greenhouse in the garden, and some - a plum variety, Rio Grande - outside on my allotment. No sign of blight either place. Wondering when the fruit will start ripening up ...
Tubby

Post by Tubby »

Yeah, I think definitely blight. That's kinda the same as rotting as far as I can see?
I did rescue one and it is in a pot in the garden drying in the super sun but it doesn't look too happy.

I had the same thing JRobinson, what looked like tomato plants growing from my compost, but i picked them all out and threw them away. Silly Tubby.

Still, Tomatoes from Sainsbury's are abundant and cheap, eh.
Conker

Post by Conker »

blight and blossom end rot are two different things.

sainsbury? have you no street market? failing that I find Lidl toms quite good
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Just like to say that my Gardener's Delight tomatoes have started ripening - with no sign of blossom end rot, which I am fairly sure is to do with growing direct in the ground (inside a greenhouse, however), so not having a problem with calcium deficiency.

This is what blossom end rot looks like

and this is blight - which normally shows up later in the year

Conker

Post by Conker »

good useful pics there