Update on the Alex pub

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Bovine Juice

Update on the Alex pub

Post by Bovine Juice »

The Penge Tourist Board community group has received this email from Late Knight's owner:

"Just to let you know, we have been in fairly close contact with Steve <developer of Alexandra> over the past few months.
In principle we have agreed to take over the running of the retail until, where we will be in full control of the pub and restaurant element of the Alexandra. I have been impressed with Steve’s approach to working with us (he came along to see the Gipsy Hill site we run) as well as his commitment to be working within the immediate community with care and consideration.

Our plan is to run the Alexandra in very much the same way that we run our Gipsy Hill site (The Beer Rebellion) and our Brockley site (The London Beer Dispensary). Please do get along to see these places, they have become integral parts of the local community as well as offering local people jobs and selling great local food and beer (not just our own!)

From a local resident and businessman I would urge you to support Steve and Amir with this planning application.
At Late Knights we are eager for a good local pub in the area as anyone else is, and the Alex is the perfect place for us. We have a lot of good will from locals who travel to our other sites and the sooner the planning is agreed the sooner we can get in and start work on opening the pub.

If you haven’t been to our new bar in Brockley, please do have a look at what we have been doing there as it is a good representation of our plans for the Alexandra.

Regards
Steve Keegan
Owner - Late Knights"

(Penge Tourist Board - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1512808478939960/ and https://twitter.com/thepengetourist)
Eagle

Re: Update on the Alex pub

Post by Eagle »

Interesting.

Do you know if they will continue their full range at Moon and Stars. I hope so.

Visited their partially owned establishment in Brighton last Thursday. Excellent and good range of beers. Prices again very reasonable compared with other craft pubs in Brighton.

Regret all five of us drunk too much .
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

When Eagles go bad.

They haven't sold any LK in the Moon & Stars for a couple of months now.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Yes I thought so but have had not connected the matters.

They have had some excellent beers their recently though.

Dark Star Beers Often indeed Hophead regular.

Do you know when the Alex opens.
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

No date set but if the objections are dropped by residents it will be last summer/early autumn I'd guess. I think we all agree LK's presence is a good thing, it's what is being done to the upper areas that may cause concern - mainly around the number of people, cars, noise and mess. There's a public meeting in August for the developers to try to persuade the Alexandra Residents Association that the plans are acceptable. We'll see.
jonathan_har

Post by jonathan_har »

I understood the planning app had been refused - has another been submitted?
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Such a shame as these guys really know how to run a pub/bar in a respectable civilised manner.

I'd advise those complaining to visit the London Beer Dispensary or Beer Rebellion.

I really hope plans for the Alex go through.

G-man
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Seems a great shame it does not open soon. Cannot see what the problem is. It has been a Pub ever since built
in honour of the Danish Consort of Edward 7th.

BJ

I asked the mamager of Moon and Stars and he said they are still stocking Late Kinght's , just had a break for Beer and Cider Festivals.
Willy

Post by Willy »

I'm confused about what the problem is...it's been a pub for a long time and it's right next to a railway line so it's always been noisy and some decent management would make it a community asset instead of the eyesore it is now.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I agree Willy.

Pubs are always a bit noisy , however this is not a large pub and would assume most of the clients would live near enough to come by foot. So cars should not be a problem. On 3 bus routes ( i think ) .

I can understand locals being able to campaign against a new pub , but surely this one has historical rights.

Puzzled why locals would object to well run real ale , run by brewers 200 yards away.

Real ale pubs do not usually attract rowdies or drunks , that is left to the lager fraternity.
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

The locals aren't complaining about the pub - they want the pub - they are somewhat dubious about the idea of a hostel, or short term hotel, above it.

The Moon and Stars has indeed had a load of festivals recently but I'd be surprised if the LK beers do return there any day soon. Apparently the amount that 'spoons pays to stock beer is incredibly low, and involves expecting the brewer to chuck in free barrels too.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Alexandra Residents Association Penge wrote:Dear All,

At long last...

please find below the link to The Alex pub re-submitted plan:
https://searchapplications.bromley.gov. ... 42JBTJX000

Main points to note :
  • The change of use application is the same as before; from A4 (public house) to A3/4 (restaurant/pub)
  • A pub area with kitchen is retained for the ground floor with room for storage, kitchens and toilets
  • Late Knights are named in the application as having agreed to operate a gastro-pub
  • there is a reduction in the number of units from the original application which was 11 beds plus 5 studios, to 13 beds in a house of multiple occupation and one studio. This is still a large amount of rooms and some are small.
  • They claim to be aiming this accommodation at young professionals
  • no parking provision is made but a parking survey suggests most parking would be in Penge Lane. The same applies for waste disposal (Penge Lane).

Although far from ideal, we feel the developers have taken on local concerns and they are working with Late Knights. We have just emailed Late Knights to check they are happy with the proposals, but it looks promising and the committee would urge the residents to support or remain neutral, although of course you can make up your own minds having had a read through the papers.

You can email the council at planning@bromley.gov.uk or submit comments via their planning portal
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Any news on this? The plans look pretty good. Looks like the rooms will be a similar offering to what the Victoria in Peckham offers. Decent cheap accommodation for visitors to London.

http://www.victoriainnpeckham.com/home.html

Cheers

G-Man
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

I like the idea of the urban rooms to let, they are clean and basic but they are still more expensive than airbnb - with fewer facilities and no breakfast. We'll need to up our prices !
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

Still waiting for the council to agree the plans. If it gets the go ahead then, it'll be open about 3 months after that.