soldering?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Justin the carpenter

soldering?

Post by Justin the carpenter »

Hi there.just wondering if anyone knows where I can get a bit of soldering done on a motherboard from a laptop?
It's the power jack that needs soldering.
Cheers in advance.
Justin
Howard Staunton

Re: soldering?

Post by Howard Staunton »

Justin,

Arbico on Sydenham Road will do this job. They quoted me £45.00 for this service about a year ago. Although I got a colleague at work to do the job for me.

Arbico Computers Limited
96 Sydenham Road,
Sydenham
LONDON
SE26 5JX.
Phone: 08456 25 26 27
Fax: 08456 25 26 28
Email: info@arbico.co.uk

http://www.arbico.co.uk/

Howard
Wing

Post by Wing »

Justin,

If you are happy with DIY you can borrow my soldering iron + soldering wire. I use them to replace capacitors on motherboards. PM me if you want.
GemStone

Post by GemStone »

If you have the ability to strip down the laptop and can actually see the loose joint on the PCB, may I suggest you use some flux, applied by matchstick to the soldered connections, not allowing any excess flux to touch other parts of the PCB.
......a little flux will be a great help to get the solder to adhere quickly and efficiently.
Get the iron nice and hot to begin. Just use a minimal amount of solder.

If you have not stripped the laptop, perhaps take it to a private pc repair establishment, though I'm afraid it is sometime more cost effective to think about buying a new laptop as the cost to repair may outweigh a replacement.