My new website!

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Falkor

My new website!

Post by Falkor »

http://localhistory.awesomewebspace.com
I've uploaded every photo I have of Perry Hill area! :D Anyone have any other information/photos they'd like to contribute re: Sydenham, Forest Hill, Catford etc? Photos don't have to be old to be on my site... :wink: (check the walkabout photos for example). Up next is Catford Hill, Perry Rise/Vale and Bell Green. :P

Any comments? :?:

BTW, I'm going to be posting some comparisons between the new and old Perry Hill photos to see if anyone can figure out where the photographer was standing in the older one and if it matches the newer ones. You see, I think there could be some mistakes in the original captions based on the viewpoint description. :idea:
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Cheers for this Falkor - I've appreciated the chance to look at the many old photos (often posted by you) on this site, and I'll make sure to look at your new site every so often - could you flag up here when you've made any significant changes to it? I'm fairly new to the area but have really enjoyed the two books of old photos by Coulter & Seaman, as well as 'Sydenham and Forest Hill history and guide' by Joan P. Alcock (which also has a number of old photos in it). I do have a look on ebay every now and then, and there always seems to be some good photos there (though not bought anything yet) but do you know where else I could find some old photos of the area (not necessarily to buy but to see on the web)?
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Thomas, the only other site I know with photos online is Ideal Homes (need to Google it for address).

Coming Soon / Todo

*Perry Hill additions/corrections, including some more photos.
*Comparison pop-up feature for more than one photo of the same view.
*Landowners/Occupants from 1843 Tithe Map/apportionment.
*Field names from 1843 Tithe Map/apportionment.
*Accurate farm boundaries using field names and landowners from Tithe map/apportionment.
*Catford Hill, Bell Green, Perry Vale, Catford Road next in line for research.
Blushingsnail

Post by Blushingsnail »

Ideal Homes website: http://www.ideal-homes.org.uk

Excellent content but the navigation could be better. It's very easy to miss bits so just keep clicking on links and seeing where they take you. There are photos, maps, and written descriptions for individual areas in the borough, so if you don't find all those things for Sydenham then you've bypassed some of the site.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

http://localhistory.awesomewebspace.com
Okay, I've now taken the site to the next level^^

Completed

People/Organisations - implementation of Landowners, Occupants.
People - implementation of personal attributes (not displayed yet)
Implementation of Comparison feature.
Implementation of Reference citation.
Perry Hill - some new information/corrections.
Perry Hill - new 1843 maps.
Perry Hill - 1843 Landowners/occupants added.
Perry Hill/Bell Green - 1843 farms/boundaries added.
All round general tidy up of text.

Todo List (updated!)

Perry Hill - addition of more buildings and information.
Perry Hill - latest selection of photo additions, including some upgrades.
Perry Hill - finish mapping all places up to 1914.
Perry Hill - come up with some more accurate dates.
Perry Hill - additional landowners/occupants from different periods other than 1843, using books and census records.
Implementation of Leasehold/Freehold
Perry Hill - more comparison photos.
Place House - early landowners/occupants.
Addition of Architects role.
Catford Hill, Bell Green, Perry Vale, Catford Road next in line for research.
Implementation of Latest Additions feature (dates are already being logged).