Ski Slope

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
sean

Ski Slope

Post by sean »

Is there a ski slope in Crystal Palace? If so, where and how much?
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Nope, that ski slope has long gone, mate, and been stripped back into a hillside. You can find some old nostalgic videos clips on newsreel websites, which were filmed in the 60s or 70s.

There's a good ski slope near where I'm living in Ruxley/Orpington! You could try this one, mate...

Download movie clip...

A golf club is right next door!
sean

Post by sean »

Thanks for that. What's it called? Does it have a number? website?
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

That's the Bromley Ski Centre

http://www.c-v-s.co.uk/bromleyski/

I went for lessons there last year before going on a skiing holiday for the first time.

It is amusing looking at the pictures with hindsight after having done a week of "proper" skiing. I was absolutely terrified at the top of the "nursery" slope last year (that's the one that the kids are going down on sledges in the photos! :D )
sophie

Post by sophie »

I remember going to the Crystal Palace ski slope. Probably about 10 years ago now. It's a shame in a way that it closed but it wasn't very challenging! The Bromley one is okay
sydeman

Post by sydeman »

Found this old link, as i heard that Crystal Palace once had a ski slope but have never know where it was positioned? Does anyone know? I have walked the park many times and the only area i could think it existed was on the eastern side, around the ponds, where there is a slope but also now quite wooded. Any history anyone?
DanW

Post by DanW »

Hi Sydeman,

If you go in the park entrance near the Chulsa Estate, bear left when you get to the private fishing lake, then head down the slope towards the sports centre. When you get to the gated roadway bit to the sports centre bear left and it would have been there on your left hand side.

Dan
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

It really was the saddest looking ski slope (I use the term loosely) I have ever seen.

Probably goes some way to explaining why Sydenham has never produced a world class downhill skier.
sydeman

Post by sydeman »

Thanks for that! Don't suppose any one has pictures of it by any chance? just be intrigued to know what it was like. Was over in the park yesterday and it looked stunning in the snow
Big Ben

Post by Big Ben »

If the snow lasts, any suggestions for the best sledging slopes locally?
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Are you thinking of going with Bigger Ben?!
Fatbackfour

Post by Fatbackfour »

Some good slopes in Crystal Palace park at the rear of the model car racing track
I was there on saturday and saw people in large black sacks, inflatable union jack lilo's, and one paticularily brave young lad on a large round table top. There was a fair number of people favouring the estate agents boards and finally a complete family on the slopes in baking trays.
Only in Britain