advice regarding sash windows

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
coll

advice regarding sash windows

Post by coll »

Hello
I am looking for some advice regarding sash windows in the conservation area. In wanting to be Green and make my house more fuel efficient, I’ve been looking into bringing in one of these ‘draft busting’ services to fix the windows. Has anyone ever dealt with these companies? The advisor claims that doing these fixes will just as effective as having double-glazed replacements put in.
Thanks in advance!

Coll
poppy

windows

Post by poppy »

We had it done on a window at our old place in Forest Hill and it was pretty good (they replaced the pullies and weights and put on some sort of draught seal) although I wouldn't say it's as good as double glazing. Unfortunately I cannot remember the company. Wooden double glazed sash windows are quite affordable if you wanted to consider that in the future. There are lots of local companies who do it too.
mosy

Post by mosy »

I'm curious... what do they actually do? I'm thinking that wood can shrink and warp over time - so do they just move the window beading a bit further in and add a bit of draught sealant tape here and there? If the sash cords look OK (not frayed, so wouldn't need replacing yet), hopefully they don't use a permanent sealant on the beads so that you can't get at the cords at a later date? I'm intrigued as to the specification of materials and skill that you are paying for.

Sorry that more questions than help.
annabel mclaren

Post by annabel mclaren »

Hi Coll - renovation and draught-proofing of sash windows has to be a more eco-friendly solution than installation of new ones (the embodied energy contained in the production of new windows has to be borne in mind). Draught Busters, who are based in Malham Road, Forest Hill, are excellent - they do a great job of refurbishment, will renew the sash cords and window furniture and will also insert furry draught-proofing strips down the sides of the windows which makes them slide up and down very neatly. Do PM me if you would like any more info on them.