Where to eat out in Crystal Palace

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Rachael

Where to eat out in Crystal Palace

Post by Rachael »

Any suggestion for somewhere in Crystal Palace for a meal out with friends? Somewhere with food to suit varied tastes and relaxed atmosphere where we can chat. Like the Perry Vale in Forest Hill where the food is excellent and you can actually hear conversation from across the table.
robbieduncan

Re: Where to eat out in Crystal Palace

Post by robbieduncan »

Westow house does good pub grub and has an amazing beer selection. Had many a good meal there
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

The Crystal Palace Market is pricey, but their steaks and burgers are amazingly good. The best we have had anywhere on the planet. It's also top notch inside too. Their desserts are also amazing. It's the only place I've ever been to where what they do is so good I order the same thing almost every time. It's good for meetings during the day too and the cocktails are great.

Urban Orient does great vietnamese food and it's not expensive.

The Stag does great sunday roasts (although not as good as On The Hoof in Sydenham).

Joannas is good, but I've only been there once and feel more adventurous with food than what they offer.

The Exhibition rooms is also worth going to. We used to go a fair amount, but the last two times it wasn't as good and haven't been back since (we like to treat ourselves to something memorable every now and again). They used to do a cocktail which its he best I've ever had which is called a nutty old fashioned (made with amaretto). Last time we ant they didn't have it on the menu (another reason I didn't go again).

Tammag Thai was brilliant when we went, but we haven't been for a while and there are reports that it's gone down hill.

All these places are good for a chat.

East Dulwich has a great selection of places to go and eat, we went to a japanese restaurant recently (Yama Momo) after going to the cinema there. A great night out and the restaurant was michelin star quality. Seriously impressive. Great atmosphere and service too.

We have a couple of decent places in Sydenham, but we are surrounded by places that offer amazing, really high quality food that is as good as much on offer in central London.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Thanks everyone. We are going to Crystal Palace because people are coming from different places and it's easy for everyone to get to. Otherwise I'd be booking the Perry Vale, no questions asked!
Pally

Post by Pally »

Rachael wrote:Thanks everyone. We are going to Crystal Palace because people are coming from different places and it's easy for everyone to get to. Otherwise I'd be booking the Perry Vale, no questions asked!
Tamnaq Thai always good if you like that sort of food

Lorenzos just along from Sainsbury on opposite of road - excellent food
topofthehill

Post by topofthehill »

According to Time Out, Friends of Flavours is in Crystal Palace, although actually in Penge. It is a lovely restaurant, very relaxed, excellent food and service and has just won Time Out' 's Best restaurant award for the Crystal Palace area .

Tamnag Thai is not as good as it was and has two sittings in the evening, at weekends anyway. Not sure about during the week
appletree

Post by appletree »

Numidie is a terrific couscous restaurant in the Triangle.
mikej

Post by mikej »

Thai Crystal is smaller and much better than Tamnag Thai IMHO. La Numidie, Joanna's, Exhibition Rooms, Mediterranea (Sardinian), Lorenzos and Domali (Vegetation) are my favourites.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

We ended up going to Domali. Food wasn't bad, although the menu is a bit of a mishmash. Vegetarian but also fish. However, I really don't see the need for vegetarian bacon in this day and age! Horrid stuff, strewn through my chef's salad.
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

That's funny, as literally yesterday, on this very forum, I was defending vegetarian restaurants against vaggie-bacon type caricatures, saying that no self-respecting veggie restaurant has served that sort of thing since the mid-80s!

Oh dear, clearly I was wrong...
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

What's vegetarian bacon? Surely it's either bacon or something else?

Has anyone tried the 400 rabbits place in CP yet?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

leenewham wrote:What's vegetarian bacon? Surely it's either bacon or something else?

Has anyone tried the 400 rabbits place in CP yet?
It's a bit like Quorn pretending to be minced meat. Some sort of processed vegetable-based protein made to look like dark red strips of plastic and taste almost exactly but not quite completely unlike bacon.
alywin

Post by alywin »

topofthehill wrote:According to Time Out, Friends of Flavours is in Crystal Palace, although actually in Penge.
In the same way that the "Crystal Palace" Travelodge is in Penge, I suppose :( Guess Penge just isn't posh enough, even if you pronounce it with a "French" accent.
Whiftoff

Post by Whiftoff »

Went here the other night which was really good. Only slight criticism is that they could do with dimming the lights a little.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant ... ml#REVIEWS