Chinese takeaway

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
sparticus

Chinese takeaway

Post by sparticus »

Rarely do I eat takeaway Chinese, but we really fancy one for tonight. Any recommendations for something good please.
The Lady

Re: Chinese takeaway

Post by The Lady »

I thoroughly recommend 'Chi Oriental' in crystal palace. It's tasty and not greasy like a lot of others that I've tried in the past.
iandavenport

Post by iandavenport »

Tse's in Forest Hill has been our regular for many years
not the cheapest , and can take some time at busy periods, but very tasty, and if, like me , you react badly to too much MSG , they don't seem to use it
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

Tung Sing House. Have just polished off dinner from there. Delicious as ever.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

I always use Golden City on Sydenham Road. The food has always been good and the staff are very friendly ( they recognize their regulars :P )

They are slightly more expensive than some, but I don't mind shelling out an extra £1 or 2 for a good Chinese meal.
(I recommend their Grilled Meat Dumplings and Kung Po Chicken) :D
sparticus

Post by sparticus »

Thanks for the recommendations. Food for thought!
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

Can't agree on Golden City. Have eaten there twice (always give a second chance). Both times the food was pretty terrible. The second time they went one further and ran out of beer to wash it down with. I've honestly had better microwave meal Chinese
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

robbieduncan wrote:Can't agree on Golden City. Have eaten there twice (always give a second chance). Both times the food was pretty terrible. The second time they went one further and ran out of beer to wash it down with. I've honestly had better microwave meal Chinese
I usually go there every fortnight, not had a bad meal yet, though now I am thinking of trying the others in case they are even better by comparison lol. It's just handy for me as it's just a few mins walk away.
Pally

Post by Pally »

I used to go regularly to Golden City but these days the food seems greasier than it used to be.

There is a good one on the road to Catford that I have been to but I cant remember its name ....Cherry something I think! Nice good there
Pally

Post by Pally »

Pally wrote:I used to go regularly to Golden City but these days the food seems greasier than it used to be.

There is a good one on the road to Catford that I have been to but I cant remember its name ....Cherry something I think! Nice good there
Just looked it up ...its The Cherry Chinese Takeaway Perry Hill Catford
mikej

Post by mikej »

Jade Garden in Green Lane Penge is the absolute best local chinese take away.
appletree

Post by appletree »

We have shopped around extensively since arriving in the area a year ago and have found Chi Oriental in Crystal Palace to be by far the best. Their spicy aubergine in black bean sauce is to die for. It is a bit uneven between different dishes but the best are excellent.
iandavenport

Post by iandavenport »

i think the most interesting point to come from this is that we all have our own tastes on takeaways , so suppose for future reference the conclusion is , you'll just have to try a few till you find the right one for you
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

iandavenport wrote:i think the most interesting point to come from this is that we all have our own tastes on takeaways , so suppose for future reference the conclusion is , you'll just have to try a few till you find the right one for you
That is very true.

I decided to risk a different Chinese last night, as I don't have a car I used Just-eat.co.uk but sadly the ones listed above in this thread were not on there, so I ordered from one of the "top rated" ones... China House in Forest Hill.

Ordered at 8pm, it was finally delivered just before 10pm, she did apologize profusely as driver was off sick, but the food was barely warm. They had also supplied 2 cold cans of coke free, but put those on top of the food so that dish (S&S Chicken balls) was cold and soggy.

Lesson learned, stick to a restaurant I know I like, but opinion will obviously differ :)
iandavenport

Post by iandavenport »

Parker - yes another valid point - try a few till you find what you like, then stick with that one - thats what we did with Tse's about 9 years ago ( how depressing , just looked it up on my credit card), so far apart from one poor spell ( new chef maybe?), been happy with that decision
and looks like we can take your one in FH off the list to try!
pip

Post by pip »

I can recommend the singapore fried noodles in Tung Sing House as my tongue is still singing.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

pip wrote:I can recommend the singapore fried noodles in Tung Sing House as my tongue is still singing.
They are my fave local followed by the Lin Hong Dartmouth Road by Kirkdale. If I am ordering online I'll order from Spring Way opp the Brockley Jack, smaller portions and more expensive but the best around.
iandavenport

Post by iandavenport »

As a slight sideline , we ordered last night from Tse's on line via Just Eat , rather than ringing up direct - quoted 40 mins delivery , showed delivered after 70 mins, actually delivered after 90 - 95 minutes - food wasn't as hot as usual, not as good as usual, with one small item missing - i'm guessing the restaurant was v busy , first Friday after Chinese new year , Valentines weekend etc., but i wondered if anyone else had experienced this with Just Eat - is it that the restaurant doesn't feel as connected with the customer when ordered this way, and so the order takes a lower priority?
i know Barakah ( our Curry delivery of choice) built their own site very quickly after using Just Eat or one of its competitors ( cant now recall who i used)
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

iandavenport wrote: but i wondered if anyone else had experienced this with Just Eat - is it that the restaurant doesn't feel as connected with the customer when ordered this way, and so the order takes a lower priority?
i know Barakah ( our Curry delivery of choice) built their own site very quickly after using Just Eat or one of its competitors ( cant now recall who i used)
Hungry house?

In my last flat I used Just-eat to try different chinese restaurants and when i then found one I liked, I just called the restaurant direct and I did have a fantastic chinese restaurant in that area. So not all just-eat places are bad. It does I suppose warrant some thought on how Just Eat make their money. There is only the 50p charge they levy on card payments, so I am assuming they get a cut of the meal price, this in turn would mean less profit for the restaurant so it could follow that as a customer via justeat you get less priority if the restaurant sees it as a lower income meal for them.

It's one of the reasons I use Golden City, I only live a few mins up the road so going out to pick it up is not a problem rather than waiting on delivery which can result in food being not as hot and fresh.
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

Similarly we live just round the corner from Tung Sing House so just go round. The downside is that the don't accept cards in store; only via just eat. I don't habitually have cash on me as almost everywhere takes cards so sometimes have to get cash specially