post office

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
SamC

post office

Post by SamC »

hi everyone. i went to the post office earlier today to post 17 christmas cards to friends and relatives who live in australia, canada and america. i paid £19.97 in total which i think is far too much. i realised the post office now charge by weight and this year i bought many large fancy cards. so be warned!
Dutch Cow

Post by Dutch Cow »

An average of £1.17 to send large fancy cards many many miles, seems reasonable to me.

In the words of Jack Dee " If you dont like it, take them yourself, see how far you get on your £19.97!".

I am joking, thanks for the warning.
lbere

Post by lbere »

My work collegue took a small package up to Sydenham Post Office yesterday but weighted it at work before and found the cost to be £3.25(or roundabout). When she got up to the post office she was told that it would cost £3.50 (or round about). It turns out that the staff at the post office have been told to round prices up, so that they dont have to fiddle around with 'small value stamps' Needless to say, my collegue stood her ground. If they are doing this to everyone, just think how much money they are making!!!!!
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

[quote="lbere"] It turns out that the staff at the post office have been told to round prices up, so that they dont have to fiddle around with 'small value stamps' quote]

I find that very hard to believe!!!!!!
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

If you queue up for the main counter service at the Post Office, then you get a printed stamp based on weight so I can't see how she was overcharged. However, if it's a borderline large letter/small packet size, you'll need to push it through the gap under the window and ask them to check the thickness. The same weight large letter and a small packet could be the difference of about 50p.

By the way, the front kiosk which sells individual value stamps now won't sell you stamps for anything larger than a "large letter" packet.
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

Also ask for a receipt .......the weight etc is 'automatically' printed on it. So I cannot see how they can 'round it up'
mosy

Post by mosy »

For anything with packing material, it's worth weighing them on one's kitchen scales before sealing up. Not as accurate, but if borderline re price range (per leaflet or website), one can take out a bit of cardboard or chop the envelope down a bit. Every little helps as they say and gradation jumps can be a lot, unnecessarily.