Reggae at the Golden Lion

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Tubby

Reggae at the Golden Lion

Post by Tubby »

Hello all. I play bass in a Reggae/Ska/Dub band called Ten Tonne Ska. https://www.facebook.com/TenTonneSka

We've been playing together for about 3 years now, but only had 2 gigs in Sydenham until we played at the Golden Lion on my 40th a few weeks ago.

Tony has asked if we'd like to play regularly there, so we've booked gigs on the 14th May and 16th July so far. Were looking to put together a night with DJs and a decent sound system to make people feel IRIE...

With this, Tompski's Jam night at the Beer Rebellion, and other musical things I've heard of lately, looks like the Lower Sydenham music scene is on the up!

Please some along on the 14th if you fancy it.
monkeyarms

Re: Reggae at the Golden Lion

Post by monkeyarms »

My mate Dan does a bit of reggae DJing up around Walthamstow. He does a from-time-to-time night called General Echo. If you're ever stuck for a guest DJ, send him a Facebook message, I'm sure he'd pop down Sydenham way

This is his night:
https://www.facebook.com/events/975108012574986/
Tubby

Post by Tubby »

Nice one, Monkey. Will do.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Tubby old bean

Great stuff. Sorry we missed your birthday we were away.

I'll happily bring some reggae and soul records along one time if you like. I'm away 14th May but could well get involved on 16th July.

My mate Dan in Penge may also be interested. He's a great DJ that crosses genres. Big reggae fan too.

Let me know.

G-Man
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

I think maybe we need an entirely separate night called "My mate Dan", where all our mates called Dan come along and spin some tunes
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

monkeyarms wrote:I think maybe we need an entirely separate night called "My mate Dan", where all our mates called Dan come along and spin some tunes
Ha ha! Hilarious. But I think it could work... :D
Tubby

Post by Tubby »

'Ten Tonne Ska, and a DJ called Dan'. I'll get some big signs engraved and screw them to the wall at the pub then. Nice and economical.
Tubby

Post by Tubby »

Hello again. So we have our second Reggae/Ska gig at the Golden Lion this Saturday evening... Unfortunately Clive our drummer has destroyed his knees keeping up with the reggae bass!

So we are lucky enough to know another excellent drummer who just happens to be Skatalite Don Drummond's grandson, and he's going to be taking Clive's place for the night.

Be assured of some amazing Ska/Reggae/Dub musicianship if you fancy coming down.

Cheers,
Will
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Hey Will

How did it go? Hope you had a good crowd.

Cheers

G
Tubby

Post by Tubby »

Hey there G-man. Yeah went really well, Marley came up trumps on the drums, we used to play together a lot and it paid off.

Here's a link to the recordings I made of the night if you or anyone else wants to hear it.

www.tubbycreative.com/GLmp3.zip

So next one is Sat 16th July. Drummer to be determined.