Dishwasher folly!

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Hissing Syd

Dishwasher folly!

Post by Hissing Syd »

Last week I bought a secondhand dishwasher, very cheaply, which was described as being "in perfect working order".

Alas, perhaps inevitably, it is not in such perfect working order. The water doesn't drain away, but instead gathers at the bottom and then leaks all over the floor; if it hadn't been for the cat heroically raising the alarm with his cries I would have been right up the proverbial creek.

I got it for next to nothing - having Googled relentlessly, cleaned the filters and checked the drainage hose for blockages, my guess is that it's the pump.

Now I'm just wondering a) if there is some benevolent local wizard who mends such things and whose charges wouldn't be prohibitive, or b) whether to cut my losses?

Ah! False economy!
mosy

Re: Dishwasher folly!

Post by mosy »

It would worry me a lot that it leaked. Even if the pump stopped, it sill shouldn't leak as theoretically without the pump the water would just stay where it is. Bear in mind that drip-leaks are normally excluded from buildings insurance, gradually operating cause or some such, and floods can lead to dry rot (been there, got the tee shirt). That said, it might be as simple as something being jiggled loose during transport if you trust the people who sold it.

You could check to see if your brand and age of model is covered by repairs from e.g. Domex: http://www.domex-uk.co.uk/appliance-rep ... r-repairs/ If it's over five years or has spare part problems or is "difficult" (meaning cheap rubbish) it probably won't be listed. You could Google the model number plus "reviews leaks" to see how common it is.

The only repairers I know will charge even if they find (or say) that something cannot be repaired or isn't worth it so that would be false economy. It's Catch 22 unless you can find someone who does free callouts. Good luck.

PS I'm a fan of Bosch. Slimline 7-place ones are cheaper to run than full size if you're likely to have smaller loads but regrettably are no cheaper to buy than full size.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Good Luck

I am a fan of the washing up bowl. Works for me.

Seems like you have been given a dodgy piece of equipment. Once an item has leaked would never use again.
Hissing Syd

Post by Hissing Syd »

Thanks!

You're quite right, Mosy - I've decided to dump it and ask for my money back. Even if I could get it fixed and installed correctly, like a cheating spouse, I could never trust it again.

Eagle, I do take your point, and for a long time I felt the same. However, like many people of my generation I don't really go out much as I rarely have the money; instead I entertain a lot at home. If I've been cooking for a reasonable amount of people, the washing up can take at least an hour or more, and what can I say - I was lured by the siren song of a cut-price dishwasher, fool that I am! Oh well - back to the Fairy Liquid I go...
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

it's always difficult to compare a washing up bowl to a dishwasher, in economy, etc.
clearly, many years ago, DW were expensive to buy, not that economical, or environmentally friendly.
nowadays they're much better. They do use a vast amount less of water than a bowl for washing up.
given the 'cost' to make them, the returns would be a few years, but definitely there now.
only down side I can see is all the chemicals you have to use, according to the manufacturer, for a perfect wash.
we use rinse aid, and DW salt, and still use all in one tablets, which should theoretically have rinse aid, salt and cleaner in them already.
also a good idea to use a DW cleaner once in a while to clean the machine itself, and of course take care of emptying the filter, etc.

sadly I don't have a recommendation for someone who could look at it and determine a fault.
mosy

Post by mosy »

I agree with JRobinson on all counts. I'd add that a dishwasher big batch removes the need to wash up every five minutes with water that also has to be heated of course and probably involves sink cleaner or bleach chucked down the sink too. A d/w is also brilliant for keeping counter tops clear, especially valuable in smaller kitchens, so it's worth its own footprint space.

Incidentally Hissing Syd, if you might get a new dishwasher at some point, consider buying d/w-capable pans when replacing existing ones as pan-washing is the worst offender for excessive water/chemical usage in a sink wash.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

I resisted getting a dishwasher for years but got one at the start of the year after working out that it was actually more economical and environmentally friendly than the washing up bowl. Ours uses a ridiculously low quantity of water. It's honestly transformed the washing up routine and made life so much easier...