WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE THE OLD HSBC BANK TO BE?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Chazza

Re: WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE THE OLD HSBC BANK TO BE?

Post by Chazza »

McLondres wrote:A Wetherspoons?
No thanks
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I take it Chazza has never been in the building or a Wetherspoon pub. The site is far to small for a JDW.
Not sure who would want it in the current climate.
The shame is they spent probably thousands on a handicapped friendly entry just before they closed. What a waste.

Could be a centre for muzzling dogs

Either a refuge for the charming all day drinkers who seem to reside on the SS bench.
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

Eagle wrote:I take it Chazza has never been in the building or a Wetherspoon pub. The site is far to small for a JDW.
Phew!

My preference would be to have an independent bicycle shop, though I realise there probably won't be many people clamouring for one of those. It would save me having to visit the branch of Evans close to my office when I need spares or new shiny bits.
McLondres

Post by McLondres »

hazy wrote:a funky grown-up late-nite bar (obviously)
Don't you mean late-night?
yay!gosydenham!

Post by yay!gosydenham! »

Yes, I vote HSBC too! I have to post my cheques to my old branch now or spend £4 return on a bus to Penge, usually only to find it's closed because I stupidly thought it would be open normal office hours! Silly me. Oh well at least I get to buy mops, brooms and dodgy biscuits from the 99p shop! Maybe that's their way of trying to help their customers save!! If I jog there and back I'll save even more AND get fit. See, they really are thinking about us all the time!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Yes I got caught by that a few months ago. Think they closed at 3.30pm,
rather early I would think.
parker

Post by parker »

1st choice - Marks and Spencer Simply Food

2nd choice - Pizza Express

3rd choice - Gourmet Burger Kitchen

4th choice - Zizzi
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

parker wrote:1st choice - Marks and Spencer Simply Food

2nd choice - Pizza Express

3rd choice - Gourmet Burger Kitchen

4th choice - Zizzi
Good list parker.

I must admit I do prefer Hamburger Union over GBK [I really hate TLAs - especially pseudo trendy ones...GQT, what is with that?! On Radio4 of all places!] but I think they are only to found in Central London - the Leicester Square Hamburger Union is my favourite.

If they do go Pizza Express (here's hoping) perhaps they'll put flats up above like they did in Greenwich? I appreciate Sydenham Road is a busy road but these young professional couples don't seem to mind.

Imagine how secure you'd feel living in an old bank? Or is that the World's worst pun? I'd imagine the whole place is air-conditioned so again something youngsters seem to like - especially as you may not wish to open the windows for reasons of noise...
Mrs Barty

Post by Mrs Barty »

I am amazed that most people would like the old bank to be some kind of eaterie!!

Aren't there enough places to eat in Sydenham already?

Mrs B :o
Barty

Post by Barty »

How about one of those handmade chocolate shops, selling posh chocs and sugar free goodies as well?

<Spot the Diabetic competition starts tomorrow.... lol>
Mrs Barty

Post by Mrs Barty »

Barty :roll:

Not more food :lol: :lol:

x
Barty

Post by Barty »

No seriously, there is definately a gap in the market for a decent sweet shop or chain of sweet shops since the demise of Woolworths.

Anyone remember Confetti? basically a giant pick and mix shop, were there any round this area? There were a few over in west London in the 90s but they all closed down. Nowadays you only ever find decent pick and mix in railway stations and it costs a fortune.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Surely old bank building not big enough for any of the chains mentioned.
Barty

Post by Barty »

You could easily fit a sweet shop in there Eagle :D
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Quite correct Barty , I was refering to the eating establishments mentioned
Used to be a number of sweet shops in 50's and 60's. One called Parker's was indeed only a few doors away from the old HSBS next to the old of licence called West's.
Over the main road was another called Stuart's.

I do not recall the need then for signs saying 1 or 2 children at a time.
parker

Post by parker »

Eagle wrote:I do not recall the need then for signs saying 1 or 2 children at a time.
Well... they dont make children like they used to!! :D :D
Barty

Post by Barty »

parker wrote:Well... they dont make children like they used to!! :D :D
That's a whole different thread, that one!
parker

Post by parker »

Im not sure there really is a big market for sweets today, as they are very easy to get hold of on supermarket trips. Sweets from Heaven used to be in Bromley and that closed down after not too long, probably because the rent was too high in the Glades, but really even though Woolworths pick n mix has gone i dont think it is a great loss due to WHSmith selling the Candy King pick n mix concession.

I think the old HSBC should become something more important, like a small restaurant, it has the scope to be a nice building with seating outside, a sweet shop probably wouldnt trade well there. A sweet shop would probably be better in a busy shopping place such as Bromley where the other shops complement it as a place to bring children on a shopping trip.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Being next door to Kente do we really want a small restuarant

One thing in its favour is it has a purpose built handicapped entrance which HSBS wisely built a few months belfore closure
poppy

Post by poppy »

Kente is a cafe, we definately need more restaurants, as discussed on other threads, for the evening trade....