Have you seen any snakes in Sydenham gardens?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
El Cid

Have you seen any snakes in Sydenham gardens?

Post by El Cid »

Early this evening I was standing in our garden off Laurie Park Road when, to my amazement, I saw a snake in the corner of our greenhouse. It was quite thin, about a foot long, and had orange and black markings.

From a quick Google, it seems to be an adder, which, apparently is common in Britain, and is also venomous, though not deadly. I contacted the RSPCA and was told it was probably passing through our garden.

I gingerly poked around the greenhouse with a stick but couldn't see it again. But It may well be in there somewhere.

Has anyone else seen snakes in their garden?
japesy

Re: Have you seen any snakes in Sydenham gardens?

Post by japesy »

It sounds like it could be a corn snake which is a popular pet. It's probably escaped. We lost one years ago and I often wonder if it's managed to survive.
El Cid

Re: Have you seen any snakes in Sydenham gardens?

Post by El Cid »

I've had a look at images of corn snakes, and it might have been one. I haven't seen the snake this morning, but it could still be somewhere in the greenhouse. It was such a surprising sight in suburban Sydenham.