Noisy birds in eaves

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
pocketpip

Noisy birds in eaves

Post by pocketpip »

Does anyone have any hints about how to encourage some incredibly noisy birds to stop living in our eaves?

They are living in the eaves right behind my bed, and are waking me up every single night with their screeching and scrabbling. From reading up i am guessing that they are starlings, and likely to start nesting in Spring (last year they had babies there and i was again kept awake every night). I know that they are protected and don't want to do anything to hurt them, but they are driving us crazy at the moment!

please don't say buy earplugs, I've tried it but their cries are alarmingly penetrating!
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

buy an air rifle. Birds used to keep me up but I borrowed my mates airgun and shot them in the face. Job done. zzzzzzzzz
mosy

Post by mosy »

Have a look at this thread. It's on a friendly car forum which allows and enjoys silly banter, so not all the 23 replies are serious LOL, though some good information and links are given:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/off-topi ... min/91355/

HTH
chrisf

Post by chrisf »

Hello
Yes you are probably correct in saying the birds are starlings.
Each nest can produce around 3 to 4 eggs/chicks.
The best and most humane thing to do is live with the noise for now. It would be damn right cruel to disturb the nests at the moment. But once the chicks have flown, go into your loft and block off any entry points. Leave any unattended nests in place as the birds will tend to want to use existing nests rather than build a new nest from scratch but scatter a cup full of salt into the nests. If any birds next season do manage to enter your loft and gain access to the existing nests they will not use any nests which contain a large amount of salt as they know it would harm their chicks if/when they hatched and will go elsewhere in search of other nests.

However at present, during twilight hours, there should not be any noise as the birds will be sleeping......So don't go to sleep too early or wake up too late :lol:

Sorry but had to laugh :)
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

I thought you was going to say they were not starlings but blackbirds :lol: :lol: :lol: