Sydenham Concerts

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
stuart

Sydenham Concerts

Post by stuart »

Just like to say how i enjoyed a pleasant evening listening to a flautist and harpsichord duo at St Barts Church last night. I would have advertised it here had I known in advance. Their music is rather better than their publicity!

If you want to share in one of Sydenham's best kept secrets - go here and note their future two concerts at the same venue and add your name to their mailing list in case you forget.

http://www.masumiyamamoto.com/Sydenham-Concerts.html

Stuart
Robin Orton

Re: Sydenham Concerts

Post by Robin Orton »

Another wonderful concert at St Barts this afternoon, with the London Brandenburg Soloists (2 violins, viola, cello, flute, harpsichord.) How lucky we are to have this resource in Sydenham (and the tickets are so cheap!)

Bach's second orchestral suite (the well-known one), with one instrument to a part (which made all the counterpoint amazingly clear) and a mind-blowing performance of the final 'Badinerie' - Boris Bizjak on a baroque flute (with only one key, so far as I could see), at breakneck speed with improvised psychedelic ornamentation. The final piece was the fifth Brandenburg - I applauded after the first movement (yes, really), to show my appreciation of Masumi Yamamoto's harpsichord solo (cadenza?), a virtuoso performance of one of the most exciting passages that Bach ever wrote.

Also on the programme was a Handel trio sonata and Bach's A minor violin concerto, with Lana Trotovsek an impeccable soloist. The slow movement of the concerto sounded a bit skeletal; Masumi told me at the interval that the two orchestral violin parts which Bach wrote had been merged into one for this version, which may explain that - the two outer movements sounded fine.

Next concert on 16 July - Handel works for two sopranos. Be there.