SYDENHAM BEER REBELLION HAS CLOSED

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
BeerRebellion

SYDENHAM BEER REBELLION HAS CLOSED

Post by BeerRebellion »

Hi peoples,

A bit of sad news - as from today Ben Hopkinson has closed the Sydenham Beer Rebellion. It simply wasn't doing the turnover he wanted to motivate him keeping it open.

He has however given us a week to try and raise the necessary capital to re-open the bar and keep the Rebellion alive.

So this is where we are:

We need to find a minimum of £15,000 to take on a new 10 year lease, purchase the assets and set up a formal structure. I have had a number of positive meetings with locals, but as they say, this is where the rubber meets the road.

We are looking for 15-20 people to each put in £1000. They will each have equal shares in a new company, with equal voting rights as to how the bar is run. We will meet quarterly (and will no doubt vote a smaller group to be more actively involved), and go through trading figures and discuss operations. If there are dividends at the end of the year they will be shared, and if you need to leave the company we will offer them for sale at market value. But first and foremost the company exists to protect the magic that is the Rebellion, and our first task is to ensure that that magic continues and that we are able to support the Sydenham Community through arts, performance, events, damn good beer and great fun. When we have our core group we will sit together and write the articles of association and work out how best to move forward at speed.

I currently have 8 people that have confirmed they will participate, and I'm happy to meet with anyone who has questions, or to chat via phone or email.

If you are interested send me an email to matt@coalitionbrewing.co.uk with your contact details and I will be straight back in touch.

It would be a huge shame to see the Rebellion disappear from the fabric of Sydenham life - as a local I think we would all be much the poorer without it.

So fingers crossed we can make this happen!

Cheers!

Matthew
THE BEER REBELLION
Bovine Juice

Re: SYDENHAM BEER REBELLION HAS CLOSED

Post by Bovine Juice »

Best of luck. I live in Penge but occasionally cross the border to visit your lovely friendly bar.
Timbo79

Post by Timbo79 »

This is sad news indeed. BR was one of the things that attracted us to Sydenham when we moved here. Sadly we don't have the spare cash to invest but good luck raising the funds, really hope you manage it.
alywin

Post by alywin »

I can't help here, I'm afraid (can't stand beer :) ), but I wonder if a more positive heading and a move to the Town Hall might be of benefit? I don't know what the Cafe footfall is compared with the Hall footfall, but I for one don't look in here very often, and I would probably have spotted the current heading and simply thought "What a shame. That'll upset a lot of people" and not bothered reading further to find out that people are trying to save it.
NorrisLam

Post by NorrisLam »

Timbo79 wrote:This is sad news indeed. BR was one of the things that attracted us to Sydenham when we moved here. Sadly we don't have the spare cash to invest but good luck raising the funds, really hope you manage it.
Sad news indeed. Wish it could stay open.