Buidling work, Sainsbury's Sydenham

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
lbere

Buidling work, Sainsbury's Sydenham

Post by lbere »

I have just got back from Sainsbury's and due to the amount of dust that is flying around due to the building work, I complained. The whole store is covered in dust and in the bread section you can barely see in front of you. I asked one of the ladies on the front desk why the store is allowed to be open and she replied that the store, if shut would loose them too much money as it is one of the larger money gainers. How Health and Satefy allow them to open is another matter, we will be eating dust with our food. I suggest we all complain and see what the out come will be.
emmiedee

Post by emmiedee »

...or why not use local smaller shops and support them a bit?!!
lbere

Post by lbere »

Small local shops are not always the answer!!!! I work full time and have two young children. As much as I would love to go from small shop to small shop, I bearly have time to clean my house.

The issue here is that Sainsbury's are allowed to continue trading when its just not safe for the food that we buy from them. You would have to dust your food, before you even started about starting to eat/cook it.
piano teacher

Post by piano teacher »

don't you wash food before eating it anyway?
dickp

Post by dickp »

I suspect most people don't wash bread before eating it......
lbere

Post by lbere »

I give up. I hope you all have bad tummys.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Why dont we have another get together with members of the forum soon.

I have yet to venture into this sainsbury's, I hoe it isnt as bad as it sounds.

If we work together why don't we get a petition together to improve Sainsburys.

While were at it, why don't we get another ones to send to Boots to improve the appearence of their store in the high street.

Hopefully other retailers will follow their lead.
Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

Lee - are you suggesting we meet up at Sainsburys in the cafe area. We could kill a number of birds at once - meet, assess the state of the store, collect signatures for the petition, do our shopping, get barred

That's a great idea - and would prevent me shopping there again.
lbere

Post by lbere »

....... and deal with the wild birds that fly around inside the store as well, but I suppose no one is worried about that either.
jackieboo

I for one

Post by jackieboo »

have never had a drink from a canned drink without wiping it clean first after stories I used to hear from someone who worked in a vintners about the number of mice and rats that walk across and pee on crates etc in warehouses.

There is a thriving population of rats in bushes etc at the entrance of my local huge supermarket near Purley and if you go in the discount food warehouse off the Purley Way there have been generations of small birds flying around in their store above food items............ :shock:

I'm an animal lover and wonder why they hever get the RSPCA involved. There must be humane ways of catching these poor birds.
sophie

Post by sophie »

I hope that the proposed improvements to the store really will be improvements. I tend to go there on auto pilot and for the last few weeks each time I've said I'm not going until they're finished and then I forget. It's horrendous in there at the moment. Not good at the best of times due to the layout and the volume of people and the number of people filling basket trolley things for online orders so it's hard to get around the aisles but at the moment it's a joke.
DigitalFX

Post by DigitalFX »

Good god!!!

What a lot of moaning......

When the new store is finished I am sure it will be great to shop there. I take my hat of to them for operating the store during all the work that is going on, that in itself is not an easy task. If the cashiers were seeing every item covered in dust, then I am sure that health and safety would kick in.

If the store had to shut for all this work, people would still moan as they would have to shop at another location.

Come on guys give them a chance, is it really all that bad!!!

Gaz
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

emmiedee wrote:...or why not use local smaller shops and support them a bit?!!
Where can people get organic veg, Fairtrade bananas and coffee at a reasonable price?

I buy some stuff from MC3 down the bottom of the hill (they sell stuff I can't get from supermarkets).

Little shops are not charities. They have to compete. They do this, not only on price, but because we like and want to go there. They have to look nice, they have to be friendly, they have to offer reasonable prices and they have to offer good service. They have to be convenient.

I will not support a shop that doesn't offer this.

Small businesses can compete with the big guys. They can change and adapt easily to what customers want and need. They can offer great service and a friendly, local experience. I'd like my local grocer to to be almost like a family friend.

Sainsbury's can't offer that. Unfortunately a lot of local shops don't either.
poppy

Sainsburys

Post by poppy »

What is MC3 like Lee? It looks like it does lots of fruit and veg and I dare say some Polish speicialities - is that right? Can you recommend anything from there they don't have in supermarkets?
GLOBAL THINKER

Post by GLOBAL THINKER »

Their flat bread lasts about 30 seconds in my house!! Delicious.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Hi Poppy,

MC3 is good, although it looks awful unfortunately. They certainly aren't doing themselves any favours.

But they sell a good selection of food that you don't get anywhere else. The fruit and vet is good quality, the tomatoes especially are excellent (on the vine, great smell, large, misshapen, loads of taste).

The plantains are very cheap. Some things are more expensive, but it's pretty good overall...despite how it looks!
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

I agree with Gaz. I shop at the store and their H&S set up seems fine. I have not had a problem with dust either - perhaps it was a rogue problem?
I guess I am just firmly in the "get it done" camp. Cx
DigitalFX

Post by DigitalFX »

Re - The clowns comments....

Thanks for your back up......Sydenham does do a lot of old moaning about nothing don't you think Clown? lol

I am like you on that score speak your mind and get the job done....and leave the moaning for something that really needs moaning about....

Gaz