Mechanic

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Mrs.E

Mechanic

Post by Mrs.E »

Please can anyone let me know about a good mechanic that would look at my car and diagnose where that funny noise is comming from for free?!
simon

Post by simon »

If you take it Knighton Motors they will probably be able to diagnose the problem but they will probably expect you to have it repaired there. They are very reasonable and helpful and I would recommend them.
lemonade

Rattle tat tat - - -What is that?

Post by lemonade »

Hello Mrs E.
I've PM'd you of someone who may be able to help identify the sound from your car.
kster

Post by kster »

I would second Simon’s recommendation of Knighton Motors, I have nothing but reliable service from there. I’d be interested to know why you think that someone should work for you for free, do you often pop into an office/shop/factory and do a shift for the fun of it?
Mrs.E

Post by Mrs.E »

I would like to thank everyone for their messages and for the private messages I have received offering help.

In reply to ‘kster’ I would just like to say that yes I do often work for free in the form of voluntary work and I would be happy to assist anyone who needed help that I could give. I feel disappointed that this is supposed to be a community website trying to install a bit of spirit back into the community and messages like yours do not promote this at all.
Rebelmc

Post by Rebelmc »

Mrs.E wrote:I would like to thank everyone for their messages and for the private messages I have received offering help.

In reply to ‘kster’ I would just like to say that yes I do often work for free in the form of voluntary work and I would be happy to assist anyone who needed help that I could give. I feel disappointed that this is supposed to be a community website trying to install a bit of spirit back into the community and messages like yours do not promote this at all.
To be fair to kster and, as someone who is involved with a long established local garage with an excellent reputation (not Knighton Motors) you would be surprised at just how many people take advantage of the good nature of some of these highly skilled people, knowing they have no intention of putting the work their way.

It costs a fortune to operate these small independant garages, so specifying that you want your help for free doesn't necessarily make you a paragon of virtue by supporting local business'; they have to earn a living too, even if it's only from estimates.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

You get what you pay for. I would add that at least you have piece of mind if you pay for the work from a reputable garage.

If a well-meaning person offered you free advice, which subsequently turned out to be wrong, who would bear the cost?

Alib
lettieloo

Post by lettieloo »

Joe's garage in Penge is very good, realiable and reasonably priced
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

Dartmouth Rd Service Station helped me out yesterday when I was in a bit of shit.

They are really good.