New Front Door

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Ronski

New Front Door

Post by Ronski »

Hi,

Does anyone have any recommendations where to buy & install a new front door from? Any past experiences worth passing on?

I came across Select A Door on Penge High Street, has anyone used them?

many thanks
GLOBAL THINKER

Post by GLOBAL THINKER »

I wouldn't use Select a Door - we ordered a door which never arrived. After much back and forth we went elsewhere. Also have been told by a reputable carpenter that they do not hang doors correctly and are a bit slap dash.
Sid & Ham

Post by Sid & Ham »

I would STRONGLY advise contacting Lewisham and Bexley trading standards, check Companies House for any court judgements and possibly Bromley Small Claims Court, to confirm the company is reptuable.

Talking about companies in general not specifically the one asked about. I find it astounding companies that are well known to trading standards and the local courts are allowed to continue to trade year after year.

I selected-a-door company that is local only to have to take it to court for non delivery, in the process I found 6 or more people with similar problems. Trading previously under a slightly different name the company had numerous CJJ's against it's name, I believe it had 4 shops run by members of the same family, of which 2 were/are in Lewisham.
simon

Post by simon »

I wouldn't use Select-a-door either, kept us waiting for ages and then failed. Sold and fitted us an interior door which was well overpriced and again we had to wait ages.
However, I would certainly recommend Dawes for Doors in Forest Hill. A bit pricey for sure but a good, quick service. We ordered a new front door and it was fitted on the day we wanted.
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

thanks for the advice everyone, dont think I'll be trying Select then.

On another forum someone suggested these guys in Forest Hill, website looks helpful anyway...
http://www.dawesfordoors.com/
simon

Post by simon »

Thats who I refered to above Ronski. As I said above, a bit pricey but a good service.
user100

Post by user100 »

Agree, don't use SaD of Penge.

They hung my doors incorrectly.

To be fair, they came back and sorted it out, but still, it was a pain. It's not rocket science, if I wanted a bodge up I would have done it myself!

I prob wouldn't have bothered to advise against them except that I see that many others had bad experiences, so thought I would jump on the bandwagon ;-) But seriously, it doesn't reflect well on them does it.
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

simon wrote:Thats who I refered to above Ronski. As I said above, a bit pricey but a good service.
Appoligies just re-read your message, yes sometimes I think it's worth paying for if the service & quality is good.
poppy

doors

Post by poppy »

I have seen some companies advertising in Living etc magazine which might be expensive but good quality. Maybe Living South mag might have some too which might be localish.

I don't know what period your house/flat is but have you thought about reclaiming. Older doors might be best because you won't have the expansion/contraction problem my aunt had. She paid loads for a new wooden door and found one day she could not close it!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

It's worth a trip down the bath house in Sydenham near sainsburys in bell green. It is an incredible resource for old fireplaces and doors. The guy who runs it is really helpful and old doors are not cutting down new trees (if you do buy a new front door check to see if its FSC ceritified, ALL new wood should be and in a few years might HAVE to be.

Obviously recycling old wood also has the advantage of being superior quality. If you have old wooden sash windows the quality of the wood will be better and will last longer than UPVC which is incredibly bad for the environment, has poor insulating characteristics and DOES discolour.

Good luck.

Fitting a door isn't difficult, I hung 7 internal doors and 1 external door in my old property, and despite being a novice did the whole thing in a few days.

As Poppy rightly said, an older door is seasoned so it shouldn't expand as much as a new wooden door.

It's worth popping down the bathhouse reclamation yard anyway. My house has had the original features ripped out of it and I'm trying to put some character back. I'm also after a new front door so if you want one, get there quick! I might beat you to it!
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

leenewham - thanks for the heads up on the Bathhouse, we had a look on the week-end what an Aladdin's cave of stuff! Shame they haven't got more space I bet there's some great fireplaces buried in there. I'm not sure we'll get the front door from there but there's lots of stuff to help bring back the character to a place.

Had a look at Dawes I think we'll get a quote from them, not the cheapest by any means but worth checking out.