Lower Sydenham - buying a property

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Newbie Syd

Lower Sydenham - buying a property

Post by Newbie Syd »

Hi

I am currently looking to buy my first property in Sydenham. I have familiarised myself with Sydenham over the last few months and can completely see myself living here.

I have just seen a property I really like on Winchfield Road, one of the Lucas Court properties. This is slightly further from the station than I originally planned, and is probably classified as "Lower Sydenham".

I would appreciate if you can let me know what you think of the area. It is an ex-local property which I have no problem with, but my only issue is that it seems a bit remote compared to other places I have seen on Kent House Road and Kirkdale. Would appreciate to hear your opinions on the road itself, Lucas Court property, the nearby Home Park areea, how long it takes to walk to Sydenham station and where my nearest corner shop would be! I tried the walk to Lower Sydenham stn through the industrial estate footpath. As a single female, it did not feel particularly safe, even in broad daylight! Does anyone else walk this route? Is there an alternative route? My other concern is the industrial estates nearby off bell green. What impact (if any) does this have on living in Lower Sydenham? Does this potentially have an impact on the value of my property/sellability? Finally what amenities are there in Lower Sydenham as I haven't really explored this bit - how far are things from Winchfield Road?

Sorry for all the questions, but this forum seems like it can give me all the answers! I have already learnt so much from reading through this forum!

Thank you!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

HI

I live in Fairlawn Park. I have just moved in the last month or so to the area.

IT's great. I don't k now much about the actual road you are on, despite the fact thatit's a very short walk from my front door!

You are near a large sainsbury's which is good in that it isn't Tesco or Asda. It's not a brilliantly run store though, but its ok.

There is avery good local supermarket near you called MF-3. Despite the fact that it looks like a kebab shop with gawdy plastic signs it's friendly and not overpriced. They have good quality fruit and veg and lots of beans and pulses. I think it's an excellent place.

Not too far from us we have the Perry Hill pub a few minutes towards Catford which is excellent. Then there is the Dolphin which is nice, although they seem to think they are a michelin Star restaurant and have overpriced and pretentious food among more stable an suitable fayre for the area ('London Particular' features on their menu, otherwise known as pea and ham soup). At the top of the hill is the Woodsman which has really really wonderful Sunday lunches.

We aren't that far from Beckenham, Crystal palace Park etc and it takes me about 8 minutes to walk to the station in the morning (Sydenham, not Lower Sydenham) but I walk quickly. Don't bother getting a bus, it takes forever as the traffic is solid.

The best thing about Sydenham apart from lots of really well kept streets of victorian housing and the sheer potential of the place is the people. I know my neighbours and people seem very pro active about improving the area. In short people care.

I moved here from Brockley and much prefer it.

Make sure what you are buying isn't over priced, there is some negotiation to be done at the moment. Check out what other places sold for in the same road (www.findaproperty.co will help you there).

If you want some more advice, some of the estate agents in the high street may help, Mann Countrywide were especially helpfull.

Good luck!
GLOBAL THINKER

Post by GLOBAL THINKER »

Hi,

Go with your instincts. You said you did not feel particularly safe in daylight. Imagine how you'd feel after a night out and 15 min walk from the station.

I also live on Fairlawn Park and that's about how far I would go if I was a single female. I may be doing Winchfield Road a disservice but you have to be realistic, no point in buying if you don't feel safe.

I'd imagine you'd be paying around 160,000 - 170,000 keep looking for a flat you will truly be comfortable coming home to at night.
user1000

Post by user1000 »

leenewham wrote: If you want some more advice, some of the estate agents in the high street may help, Mann Countrywide were especially helpfull.
I am surprised you found Mann & Co helpful. I had a pretty terrible experience with them. I'm not going to write it here (you can PM me if you want my story) but I would be VERY wary of them if I was a buyer. I don't like posting negative comments about a local business, and maybe they've cleaned up their act, hooray if so.
lizzie

Post by lizzie »

Hello Newbie,
I live near the others on Fairlawn park but off the other side of Sydenham Road. I know what you mean about the walk to Lower Syd station but I'm not sure I know the footpath route you're referring too? Anyway, I am pretty much equidistant between Sydenham and Lower Sydenham stations - both about a 10 minute walk.

What I tend to do is use Lower Sydenham in the mornings because it is so convenient to get straight into Charing Cross and I can walk to work from there and not have to negotiate London Bridge (nightmare in the mornings!) In the evenings I come home via Sydenham station because it's quicker and not such a trauma at London Bridge and on the tube. If it's late I usually use Sydenham station because of the main road walk home. That said, I have never had any problems walking from Lower Syd station, day or night. It's good to have the option of either. I have never felt unsafe in Sydenham.

Otherwise, I'm not really aware of the industrial estate off Bell Green so I guess I would say it has no impact on me whatsoever!

I was unsure of Sydenham before I moved here but had few options because of what I could afford. However, I'm really glad to live here now. I know the high street is a little shabby in places, but I use the shops all the time and really appreciate living in a place that still has a proper high street with a friendly atmosphere. And Sainsbury's is useful when I have to resort to it.

MFC-3 near Kent House Road is a great shop, as has already been said. A fantastic array of pulses etc and mediterranean deli goods - like the Istanbul supermarket on the high street only much bigger and smarter. The Dolphin, obviously.

If you like a place then I don't think you will have problems reselling as others will like it too, and Sydenham will only become more desirable with the improved transport links. It's affordable and the housing stock is good. I have my own garden which I wouldn't have been able to afford pretty much anywhere else.

liz
MissDee

Post by MissDee »

Hiya!

I live in Champion Road and also take the train at Lower Sydenham, I understand your point of not feeling really safe walking there,but on the other hand, there are always other people walking to and from the station.
Even at 5.45 in the morning, and it is "much" closer than Sydenham station...
When it is later in the evening and getting dark I always go to Sydenham station, better safe than sorry!
But for the rest, I really like living there!
Newbie Syd

Post by Newbie Syd »

Hi all

Thanks for all the useful info. I've put in an offer which I hope will be accepted eventually!

If I get the flat, I will have to work out an alternative route to Lower Sydenham train station - maybe I took a route that only people who work on the industrial estate use? I reckon I will mainly be using Sydenham train station anyways.

I really like what appears to be a small community feel in Sydenham. I like the fact there is a mini high street, shabby shops an' all! I grew up in inner city London, in a busy area, on an estate anyway so I'm not too worried about the safety aspects in terms of petty crime - it's the remote feel of Bell Green Lane which I'm not too used to. The other thing for me is having spent most of my life being "lucky" in terms of having no more than a 4-7 minute walk to a tube station in zone 2. But! for the money and London prices these days, Sydenham seems like a good bet to stay in zone 3. I have friends in Brockley and West Norwood and have looked in both areas and everywhere inbetween, but have already decided Sydenham is where I want to live.

Cheers!
umbrella

Post by umbrella »

I live nearish home park (adamsrill road) and like the area. I walk to Sydenham station in the morning and home in the evening, takes about 12-15 minutes. Although I'm a little bit closer to Lower Sydenham it is in zone 4 so pushes up my season ticket cost about £15 a month and as a single female, I can't say I like the walk from that station later on a night along Kangley Bridge Road.

If I'm late getting a train in the evening I have the option of cab or bus down sydenham road which is more appealing than the walk from LS.

oh and welcome newbie!
Trini

Re: Lower Sydenham - buying a property

Post by Trini »

Hi, I am looking to buy a property on Sunnydene Street. I saw this thread and it kinda assures me of the area. But this thead is kinda old. Any further advice? I am single female and safety is my top priority. I think I will use Sydenham station (Zone 3 tickets) to go to work as it'll be cheaper than using Lower Sydenham (Zone 4). Many thanks.
yummymummy

Post by yummymummy »

Hi, I Live on Sunnydene Street, its a lovely road with some lovely neighbours. I have never experienced any trouble or worry for my safety. if you have any further questions feel free to PM me. :D
Elderton Elf

Post by Elderton Elf »

Hi
I'm a couple of roads away from Sunnydene on Elderton Road, have been here for 3 years and never had any problems, i don't walk particularly fast and takes me around 12 mins to get to Sydenham. I use all the local amenities and they are just going to get beter with the fishmongers opening and the plans for regenrating the high street.
gurka

Post by gurka »

I actually live in the same area as the original poster (lucas court) but also know of sunnydene street and I've not had any problems at all over the 1 year or so that I have lived here (except the home park situation when it was cordoned off).

The whole area is being regenerated so now is a very good time to buy, I actually prefer lower syd station as I hate the pollution of the main road walking down after work and the roadworks make taking a bus more hassle then its worth and like others have said its a ideal location for Beckinham / Bromley / Crystal Palace / Catford / M25 / Gatwick etc.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I do not know the road well. Sydenham is a fairly nice area but still black spots best to avoid. Even out of these if you have got nasty neighbours God Help You , because no one else will.
tulip1

Post by tulip1 »

Hi newbie

I have lived in Lower Sydenham for a little while now and like it here. I do tend to use Sydenham station as I prefer to walk passed all the shops, and popping into the coop on my way home. I love the sense of community around here and am lucky to have fab neighbours. It's particularly convenient to have the choice of stations within walking distance and a whole range of shops including a brand new fish mongers :P . I've never had cause to feel unsafe; people do tend to be around most times of the day . Good luck with your choice :D
tulip1

Post by tulip1 »

Hi Trini

Oops, I re-read the thread and realised that "Newbie's" request for info, as you highlighted, was old so apologies for mis reading. However, my recent post and comments on living in the area and walking to the stations are indeed current! :D
priyanka

Post by priyanka »

Hi Everyone,
Reading the posts about Sydenham over here has been very helpful to me so far.
I'm looking to buy and recently thought I'd explore further out from London and Sydenham was one area. I saw a flat here yesterday which is on Southend Lane. The flat is lovely. It's a new build and quite spascious. However, Im' not too sure about it's location. it's not particularly close to either stations (Sydenham or lower Sydenham). Could any of you share your views and experiences with on this are of Sydenham. As a single woman, security is my top priority. In summer it's easier to be home on most occasions before dark, however in winter everything is different. how safe is the area at night. how easy is it to get here from central London after being out at night.
also, living wise, what has been your experience of southend lane. I notice most of the conversation threads overhere have been about other areas, closer to Sainsbury's side or the other side from the station.
Look forward to hearing your views and for your advice.

Priyanka
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Southend Lane is a bit far out as you say...you don't say which London Station you want to get to in the morning as that would have a bearing on recommendations for transport.
For me, there is a lot to be said for a 10 min or less, walk to a station, particularly in the winter. Also I imagine it is important that you feel safe.
If you can afford it I would recommend living from Kent House Rd "upwards" ...so middle to upper Sydenham.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I'd extend that range down to Home Park Steve. Nothing wrong with being east of Kent (House road). Especially if you are on a budget and want more for your money!
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

By the way has anyone else noticed the rise in house prices in Sydenham in the past year?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
priyanka

Post by priyanka »

Hi,
Thank you for your feedback. good to hear my view/concerns on distance from station and having to do the journey on a daily basis can give one a different view. I work by Park Royal. So journey wise it would be a long one. But I would think not too bad once I get into London bridge or Canada water.
I'm glad someone else over here noticed that prices in Sydenham have gone up recently! I remember just surfing online in jan this year to check out property prices (back then I knew I wanted to start looking to buy but could not act upon it) and remember that looking at anything past brockley got me thinking "Wow value for money". but now that i'm actively looking to buy - this seems tohave completely changed.
So basically looking at upper Sydenham is the guidance. Thank you for this. This has been helpful to me
priyanka