kitchen tap

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
aidy_b

kitchen tap

Post by aidy_b »

Does anyone know someone who would be able to fit a kitchen tap for me? I'm not very good with DIY...
In fact a handyman in general would be useful if anyone knows of someone :D
Paddy Pantsdown

Post by Paddy Pantsdown »

I'm gobsmacked!

My first science lesson in secondary school was on how to change a tap washer. The second on how to wire a plug. If you can't do either you can't go on to do much practical science or engineering.

What do they teach these days?

PP
marymck

Post by marymck »

Oh Paddy I think that's a bit harsh.

Fitting a tap isn't exactly the same as changing a washer. My husband has just fitted two new sinks & tap arrangements in our kitchen & utility rooms. I could have changed a washer but I certainly couldn't have done that!
Paddy Pantsdown

Post by Paddy Pantsdown »

Changing washer? These modern ceramic washers are a bit more challenging. Indeed I thought it easier to change my kitchen taps then find the right washer. So this weekend I shall discover whether I need to eat my words (again).

I would point out that compression joints, a DIY book and a nagging wife is all that is necessary to do this type of job provided you have some working stop cocks to avert a watery disaster.

PP
aidy_b

Post by aidy_b »

Thanks Paddy, should I ever need a washer or plug changing I now know who to ask. However I need the whole tap changing and no amount of nagging from Mrs_b is going to make our tap bear any relation to the one in my DIY book, or improve my ability to do it myself.
DigitalFX

Post by DigitalFX »

Hi,

Sorry Paddy Pantsdown I just had to respond here.....

I my Science lessons at school if I was taught how to change a tap washer or wire a plug I would not have been happy at all. We learned things like that in CDT, and practical economics. Science was for Science and not how to repair your kitchen.

I can only imagine that you must have gone to school way way back where Science to you was all about fixing a tap or changing a plug. Their are many people in the world today who cannot to either. Maybe they should go back to school to get a Science degree. what do you think?

Gaz
bag lady

Post by bag lady »

The builder Training Centre at waddon do a very good home maintenance course, it's2 days and teaches electrics basics, plumbing and general DIY. I went a couple of weeks ago and our teacher Michael (plumber by trade) taught us how to change a washer and a tap, then we all had a go and did it!! It5's £150 and lots of fun, out class was of 5 , 3 men 2 women, we where are equally clueless and it was loads of fun. I've had new taps in my cupboard for 3 years and will be endeavoring to fit them on soon. I'd recommend the course and if i do fix my taps without the aid of an emergency plumber i'll be available for tap fixing!!!!
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

My husband and his dad took two days of absolute agony and frustration trying to change the taps on our bath and washhand basin (and his dad had done it before with help from a mate). Personally, we both agreed it wasnt worth saving whatever it would have cost to get someone in to do it.

I'd hit yell for odd job men and start from there!
Good luck
Blushingsnail

Post by Blushingsnail »

Lewisham also do DIY courses as part of their adult education programme - DIY is under Design for some reason http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/EducationAnd ... usLtoZ.htm

I don't think they'll be continuing them at Kirkdale though, as the teacher said they don't have sufficient equipment there, so in future they may well just be held at Granville Park in Lewisham.

And for all you smug people who think basic plumbing is easy, the teacher said it's all very well practising with new taps in a classroom, but doing it for real with taps that are furred up with years' worth of limescale is a different ball game. :twisted: