Peckarmans Wood - subsidence??

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Holly

Peckarmans wood

Post by Holly »

I have been reading the messages about Peckarmans wood. To the person trying to buy and renovate the house- Go for it. I live in PW and it is a wonderful place to live- Like being on holiday every day!! Fab views, great wildlife, P and Q - 15 mins from Victoria. I have also had leasehold probs(not here!) and that wouldnt put me off. You will love it here and we did up our property too, which has been fun and SO much nicer than doing a Victorian house.
ellie100

Post by ellie100 »

ah thank you for such a lovely lovely message!
i can't wait for the whole buying process to be over so that we can get the keys and get in there. but selling and buying takes so long so i my hope of getting in there while it is still summer time is fading.... oh well, there will be many summers there in the future. i can't wait!
catgirl

Peckarmans Wood

Post by catgirl »

Peckarmans Wood is an exceptional place to live!!!!

We bought our house a couple of years ago - we were about to buy another house locally and I set out on a walk to explore the area. I happened across Peckarmans and it was love at first sight - so much so that I persuaded my other half to let me buy a wreck of a house he had never seen!!! On Sundays we walk through the woods and cross just one road to Dulwich Park - then we either have breakfast in the park cafe or head to the village. Its lovely!!!
Our survey and searches turned up no problems at all and as far as I remember the railway tunnels dont go under Peckarmans wood at all - they pass through the woods in Sydenham Nature reserve. Good luck!!!!
ellie100

Post by ellie100 »

thanks the lovely message, again!
and the house buying is nearly done - i think we'll be in in a month or so - or at least by July. then we'll begin the refurb. when i'm in i'll get in contact with you both and perhaps you can give me some tips on how you've done yours up. we've still got some of the '60's features, which i'm going to keep. but we need to rewire, new roof, re-plumb etc - a load to do. also if you know any good builders/roofers/electrians that would also be good to know.
i'm looking forward to much to moving in.
we're moving out of our flat (in bethnal green) in two weeks into a rented flat in sydenham while the buy of peckarmans goes through and also while we get a bit of the building work underway.
i just can't wait!
thanks for all your lovely messages, its really meant a lot!
all the best.
ellie100

Post by ellie100 »

oh and also, yes you're right. the tunnel is just in the sydenham nature reserve bit - a few metres away from the last house at the end of peckarmans wood. i just had a look again at the plans we have. so, all fine. also, sure i said before - but the structural survey we had done revealed that the houses were very soundly built - deep foundations etc, which take into account the hill and the clay ground. so we're all safe!
sid

Post by sid »

user100 wrote:
gone wrote: Give it 12 months, they'll be begging you to take houses off their hands all over South London
Ha ha ha yeah right.

OP, take any opinions given by cynics with a large pinch of salt.

Cynicism is just naivety's evil twin.
I have to say that whilst Gone doesn't come across as the chirpiest of residents, his view on he 12 month price outlook looks pretty close to the mark!

Personally i will now be giving it 18 months before setting off on my bargain hunt.
i don't know if the lease question is still an issue, but in my experience, as long as it hasn't fallen below 70 years, you won't get shafted on renewing it.

I looked at a Peckarmans Wood house a fair while ago, which seemed a bargain, but it only had about 50 years left on the lease, and would have cost a fortune to get the an extension.
Most leases get renewed much more frequently than that so I'm sure you won't have a problem.
woodie

disputes with scheme of management dulwich estate

Post by woodie »

We live in Peckarmans woods and love living here too. However, we have been experiencing difficulties with the scheme management of the Dulwich estate when formalising request to replace features such as the roof and the fencing. Despite our efforts to attempt to simulate the old for new, the scheme has been obstructive we would like advice or guidance on contesting their decision as they are been completely unreasonable.
Any shared experiences welcomed!!!!
Many thanks in advance :roll: