Sydenham Past & Present

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
bensonby

Sydenham Past & Present

Post by bensonby »

How long have you lived in sydenham and what has changed, for better or for worse, in those years?

I've lived here for over 21 years and in that time there have been many changes.

For better:

Public Transport has improved, and looks set to improve. There are more bus routes, they are more frequent and they are proportionately cheaper. Also, when I was a wee 'un there was only 4 trains an hour to London Bridge.

Policing has improved - I know PCSOs are not that popular but before them there was never a uniformed presence on the local streets (on foot patrol) I now see PCSOs several times a week - if not every day in Sydenham.

The variety, quantity and quality of places to eat has improved IMHO - personally I've been going to Gara Masala at least once a month for 21 years - when it was the Mhegna, then Bengal Spice and then Gara Masala. I can safely say its the best its ever been.

What's worse?

Bell Green! it used to have a post office a small range of shops and a chippie - all gone.

The diversity of shops on the High St. Does anyone remember Buicks? The fishmonger? Slatters (as it was) the shoe shop? The old-fashioned butcher? The old fashioned chemist? The ice-cream shop? And so on....

....however I must admit that it has recovered a little bit and there have been some consistent quality shops (Kirkdale bookshop being a notable example)

Mayow park - its still a nice little park, but does anyone remember the ice cream stall & the water drinking fountain that used to be there 15-20 years ago? (is there still a bowls club there?)

What has been consistent?

The greenery and general peace & quiet of parts of Sydenham - that makes it one of the nicest places in London - especially when its unpretentiousness is taken into account.

Sydenham Station has always been a manned station with a paper shop - so I'll class that as consistently good (save for the current problem!!!!)

Kirkdale Bookshop - say no more...

What are other people's thoughts?
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

I've only been here 6 years (next week is our anniversary!) and I, too miss certain things:

Richards Butchers, I remember the huge queues outside just before Christmas. I still see Maggie around and she still asks about the family.

Aardvark the stationers/art supplies. Now I have to go to Bromley as Letterbox is too expensive.

The pine furniture shop (now Blue Mountain) - I used to enjoy watching them restoring the furniture on Cobbs Corner!

The newsagent on the north side of the high street (not that it was amazing!), there's nowhere to buy a paper between the station and the other side of the car wash on that side of the road.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

I forgot to add - I miss Hillier's!

Does anyone remember it? It is now "sydenham tyres" or somthing. Mr Hillier was a grand old man...
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

I've only been here just under 4 months, but I like it :D

I'd like the high street and Kirkdale to be improved, but on the positive side there are plenty of trees, some nice wide streets, some really lovely buildings, and I agree that it is very unpretentious. That's not bad for London :)
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

What was Hilliers?

Does anyone have any pics of Sydenham past?
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

If you're interested in old photos, there are at least a couple of books published (available at Kirkdale bookshop) of old Sydenham and Forest Hill, and I think that there would be a market for a new book if anyone is interested.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

leenewham wrote:What was Hilliers?

Does anyone have any pics of Sydenham past?
Hilliers was an antiques cum second hand shop run by a fantastic old gent who had one eye and flew in Bobmbers during the war. He must have retired and shut up shop about 10 years ago now...if not longer.
Pinkerbell

Post by Pinkerbell »

I miss the fish mongers that used to be in sydenham, they did better fish then the supermarket, now you have to go to bromley for a decent fish mongers.
Frangipan

Post by Frangipan »

A fishmonger must be much missed, supermarket fish is usually bland in quality and supplies are unimaginative and unreliable. What's the easiest fishmonger to get to by public transport? Borough Market's prices are crippling!

I have been here for a few months after 4 years in Penge/Crystal Palace. I must take the time to look in the bookshop as I would love to see a bit more about what the high street has looked like in the past. Great to read the memories of the more (some MUCH MORE) long standing residents.
GillM

Post by GillM »

I have lived here for about 28 years now. Back in the "day" we used to have some fab shops in Sydenham. There used to be a fantastic butchers up at Kirkdale (was selling organic meat before it was "fashionable"), Cobbs department store, Woolworths, used to love Mchray's chemist - like stepping back in time - lovely father and son concern. The fishmongers was great - have to go to Bromley or Nunhead now which is a drag. I remember Hillier's - used to spend many an hour mooching in there.

What's not good - too many cheap cafes, kebabs, fast foods, creating rubbish on the streets. Not a decent fish and chip shop (incidently Bell Green fish and chop shop used to have a queue outside every Friday). Not enough "decent" places to eat out. Dirty scruffy high street (hopefully the regeneration will help with this). The traffic on the high st - wish there was room for a bus lane - can take 20 minutes in the morning for the 75 to get from Slatters till it turns down Newland park. Not feeling as safe as I used to (3 members of my family have been mugged in Sydenham).

The reason I stay in Sydenham is the fantastic choice of train stations. Lower, Upper, Sydenham, Kent House, Penge east - when you work in London its a boon, Victoria, Charing Cross, London Bridge, Blackfriars, also DLR from Lewisham etc all easily accesable. The amount of green spaces, eg Mayow, Wells, Alexandra, Home parks etc. Also I stay because I think hopefully with the regeneration plans and forums like this Sydenham may gain back some of it former glory!
Last edited by GillM on 19 Jun 2008 23:55, edited 1 time in total.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

GillM wrote: What's not good - too many cheap cafes, kebabs, fast foods, creating rubbish on the streets. Not a decent fish and chip shop (incidently Bell Green fish and chop shop used to have a queue outside every Friday).

The Bell Green Chippie was fantastic. However, the one opposite the Golden Lion today is alright - so I'll disagree with you in saying theer is "no" decent chippie.

I agree about the proliferation of kebab/chicken shops though. Opposite the libray there are 2 alsmost next door. And they attract trouble, there was a murder in one a year or two ago...
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Does anyone remember Sydenham Children's Hospital?
wickesy

Post by wickesy »

bensonby wrote:Does anyone remember Sydenham Children's Hospital?
I do. I was an emergency patient there about 25 years ago now. One of the nurses who looked after me had also looked after me during the school holidays when my parents were at work a few years earlier.
brian stimson

Post by brian stimson »

I remember The Children's Hospital very well, opposite Home(?) Park. I was in there for two weeks with a broken leg when I was 13 in 1953. I fell in love with my nurse I'd better not say her name but I have remembered it fot the last 55 years! It was a lovely hospital with balconies to the front where we could sit weather permitting.
brian
bensonby wrote:Does anyone remember Sydenham Children's Hospital?
mikej

Post by mikej »

I well remember the SCH - we took our youngest there in 1986 when she was unwell. They were lovely there. It closed a year or two after that I think.
It is strange about there not being a decent fish & chip shop in Sydenham. I ten to use the Blue Dolphin in Penge which is quite good.
Fish shops - there's Moxon's in Lordship Lane (East Dulwich) which is obviously closer than Borough market.
We've been here since 1986, like it so much that when we moved (2003) it was just across the road!!
brian stimson

Post by brian stimson »

It is strange about there not being a decent fish & chip shop in Sydenham. I ten to use the Blue Dolphin in Penge which is quite good.
Fish shops - there's Moxon's in Lordship Lane (East Dulwich) which is obviously closer than Borough market.

I know it's pure nostalgia and it won't solve the current problem of good fish and chips. But the best fish and chip shop of all time was Ladyman's in Green Lane Penge just round the corner from the nick which I remember from the 1950s. The second best was in Sydenham Road just past Mayow Road going towards Catford almost opposite The Red Lion (?) pub. You could always have "afters" in The Criterion Ice Cream Parlour which was run by the Valenti family, all gone now I suppose. Sorry for my time wasting but I could'nt resist another trip down memory lane.
catscratch

Post by catscratch »

Best chippy in South London, ever

Manor Place, off Walworth Rd, probably long gone now.

Friday nights, always a huge queue waiting, Cod came in as whole fish, chips cut on the premises, proper chips too, 1/2 square.
absolute food of the gods, I have never found another like it.

All the equipment was 1930s antique, and all they sold was fish and chips, and pickled onions, would not sell chips on their own, nor pies pastys chicken bits, cans of pop or any of the other rubbish you get offered these days.

I can smell it now,nectar.
Wish I could find another like it.
Who finds Turkish/ Cypriot/run chippies better than Chinese owned ones?
The MSG gives me a headache after the first few bites.

There used to be another good chippy in Penge lane, demolished in the 1980s, I remember you always got an eyeful from the owners wife.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

The cod and ships from the place two doors up from the cake shop is really excellent, I think its called Sunny Fish Bar or somthing like that., I have had fish and chips from the award winning Olleys in Herne Hill and it beats that easily.
I must admit I usually go to Mermaid on Kirkdale because its nearer and I'm lazy,but its not as good as Sunny Fish bar.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I have been here 59 years. Many changes. Used be be only two cafe's .
Cobbs dept had up market tea chop and Criterion Ice Cream Parlour also a coffee shop. I think , possibly excluding any fish and chip shops , were only cafe's. People used to all eat at home .
Also of course many greengrocers, grocers , bakers etc.
First Supermarket was Wallis's which opened about 72 , by I think Hughie Green , where Lidl is now.
Remember Hillier's well. Poor Mr H dies about 7 years ago.
catscratch

Post by catscratch »

First "supermarket" I recall in Forest hill, or at least self service shop which was a novelty back then was Bass the grocer, on the corner by the lights, it evolved into a dentist later, Bromley- Sibson???
Woolworths in Forest hill was brilliant, real old fashioned place, and Sainsburys, Butter and cheese sold off the slab, patted into shape with wooden paddles, and wrapped; bacon and cold meats on the other side.
Mac fisheries, David Greig, Home and Colonial nearby.
Its all gone downhill since they invented plastic.