Seats on the train

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

fishcox wrote:I thought the 1818 was one of the old ones, where turning on the air conditioning equates to opening the windows.

I like the fact that most people wait on the concourse for the train to be announced before they actually go to the relevant platform (despite it being the same every night). Priceless.

Really? Goes to show long it has been since I chose to travel on the 1818. Last time I did it was a class 377 but that's a while ago now - it was just a much less comfortable and ultimately less pleasant train, for a good many reasons than the 1825. I lean to your experience in that it's one of the older stock.

What is just as priceless is the amount of people who dash like mad to platform 10 for the 1805 which in the 7 years I've been making the journey has always come in on platform 10 as 2 seperate 1/2s which need to be joined and as a result has never left on time. But still they sprint as if they're likely to miss it.

Never mind the people who get on the 1805 even though the announcer has specifically asked them not to until it's been attached.
Last edited by Greg Whitehead on 15 Oct 2008 18:57, edited 1 time in total.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

...if only you could make the 1755 to Dorking. Its not busy, its aircondtioned and it only stops at Forest Hill and Syd. Heaven.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Greg Whitehead wrote:Anyway, the point is that on the 6.18 all the Honor Oak people sat on the very front carriage, Brockley people 3rd from the rear and Forest Hill people 1st/2nd from the rear with, yes, us Sydders types on the 2nd front carriage.

I'm glad I wasn't the only person to notice this slightly funny phenomenon.
I'm afraid I must be a Sydenham Splitter, as I would usually aim for the 3rd carriage from the front which drops me off at the foot of the footbridge so as avoiding the crush altogether!

ps - I've also noticed the different congregations of Brockleydonians, Forest Hilliers and Honor Oakies have their 'own' carriages!
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Savvy wrote:...if only you could make the 1755 to Dorking. Its not busy, its aircondtioned and it only stops at Forest Hill and Syd. Heaven.
That's exactly the points we have been making about the 1825 a few posts back in this thread (also to Dorking) which is why we sit on it rather than the 1818. Only stopping at Forest Hill and Sydders with an Electrostar 377 is bliss indeed Savvy.

It's the only way to travel. Imagine travelling home by boiling hot tube that never works!

:wink: :)

I have caught the 1755 occasionally Savvy and agree that, if anything, it's even slightly quieter than the 1825.
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Gaz wrote:I'm afraid I must be a Sydenham Splitter, as I would usually aim for the 3rd carriage from the front which drops me off at the foot of the footbridge so as avoiding the crush altogether!
Ah, see I go for the 3rd carriage from the back as I find that drops me off right by the footbridge! Alas I am on a later train than most people on here seem to be... the perils of working right on the other side of London :?
Nickerbockers

Post by Nickerbockers »

natbeuk wrote:
Nickerbockers wrote:
natbeuk wrote: Unless you're like me who has a bad back and starts to feel pain after about 5 minutes of standing. Or heavily pregnant. Or elderly. Etc. :P
Exactly, Natbeuk isn't thinking that some people have problems. I have degeneration at the base of my spine making it very difficult for me to stand for long periods in one spot. I also suffer with panic attacks and dizzy spells... so 15 mins may not seem long to some people, but to me it's perfectly long enough! (and what about when the train gets stuck on the track somewhere??)
Umm, minor point, but I was thinking some people have problems, that was the point of my response to Mrs E.. :P

I don't know about you Nickerbockers, but the problem I have is that I look perfectly young (ish) and healthy so if I was to ask someone to give up their seat for me when the back pain kicks in they wouldbe extremely unlikely to say yes, unless I explain my whole medical history!
I totally agree with you Natbeuk and that's my problem too - I'm in my 30s but look younger than that, if people don't even get up for pregnant or elderly people they certainly won't get up for the likes of me! But my back KILLS when I stand for any length of time.

BTW, I'm really sorry I meant to say MRS E ISN'T THINKING SOME PEOPLE HAVE PROBLEMS - DER!!! It does amaze me that people can be so narrow minded like Mrs E!???
Nickerbockers

Post by Nickerbockers »

Savvy wrote:There is a much subtler way of keeping the seat next to you empty (rather than putting a bag on it which just irks people, me included), if I'm in a 'want to be alone' mood I'll turn my body subtly TOWARDS the people getting on the train and make eye contact, maybe even smile in a 'hey, there's a seat free here!' way; they invariably move on (coz they think you might be a bit crazy!). Try it, it does work until the very last seat is gone and someone is so tired they just don't care whether they're sitting next to a loon or not.

Doh! I've given my secret away now. The next time I do that and someone sits down I'll know its one of you.
I've done that on buses and it doesn't work. As soon as I make eye contact - voila - that person is heading my way. I go for the look-out-the-window-and-take-up-loads-of-room option usually... doesn't often work tho, I'm just one of those people others sit next to whether I like it or not! :x
mysti77

Post by mysti77 »

fishcox wrote:I thought the 1818 was one of the old ones, where turning on the air conditioning equates to opening the windows.

I like the fact that most people wait on the concourse for the train to be announced before they actually go to the relevant platform (despite it being the same every night). Priceless.
I usually go straight to the platform for my regular train. Until one evening I did just that, settled down and started reading my book. Only to end up at Norwood Junction because the train was one of those that went straight to Norwood Junction! From my REGULAR platform at my REGULAR time!!!

I believe that day my regularly scheduled train was delayed or something (can't remember now what exactly happened) :oops:
mysti77

Post by mysti77 »

Nickerbockers wrote:
natbeuk wrote:
Nickerbockers wrote: Exactly, Natbeuk isn't thinking that some people have problems. I have degeneration at the base of my spine making it very difficult for me to stand for long periods in one spot. I also suffer with panic attacks and dizzy spells... so 15 mins may not seem long to some people, but to me it's perfectly long enough! (and what about when the train gets stuck on the track somewhere??)
Umm, minor point, but I was thinking some people have problems, that was the point of my response to Mrs E.. :P

I don't know about you Nickerbockers, but the problem I have is that I look perfectly young (ish) and healthy so if I was to ask someone to give up their seat for me when the back pain kicks in they wouldbe extremely unlikely to say yes, unless I explain my whole medical history!
I totally agree with you Natbeuk and that's my problem too - I'm in my 30s but look younger than that, if people don't even get up for pregnant or elderly people they certainly won't get up for the likes of me! But my back KILLS when I stand for any length of time.

BTW, I'm really sorry I meant to say MRS E ISN'T THINKING SOME PEOPLE HAVE PROBLEMS - DER!!! It does amaze me that people can be so narrow minded like Mrs E!???
Gees, this morning I was feeling so ill on the train and it was absolutely packed. I'm young enough to not need a seat but felt too embarrassed to ask for a seat even though I felt faint. And it was one of those days where the train was having problems so kept stopping :cry:
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

If you absolutely need a seat, not being able to stand for 15 mins - and don't "qualify" by looking old &c.

Then perhaps you could go much earlier/later and avoid rush hour...
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

bensonby wrote:If you absolutely need a seat, not being able to stand for 15 mins - and don't "qualify" by looking old &c.

Personally speaking, this isn't an option. 9 times out of 10 though, I get a seat on the way to London Bridge by getting the one train I know is usually empty enough and getting on towards the rear of the train, and then on my homeward journey I get to London Bridge well before the train is due and stake out a spot right by where I know the doors will open. I generally need to stand on the first tube I get from London Bridge, but that's only a 5min-ish journey, and then on the tube that I change onto after that I am going out of London so it's usually relatively empty...

Takes a bit of planning and trial and error, but I've just about sorted my journey so that it works for me (unless something goes wrong with the trains etc)!!
mysti77

Post by mysti77 »

bensonby wrote:If you absolutely need a seat, not being able to stand for 15 mins - and don't "qualify" by looking old &c.

I don't usually need a seat, and I usually leave at a time that I do get a seat anyway (much earlier than I need to be at work). I just happened to feel really ill, the train happened to be very delayed and 4 carriages instead of 8.
boon

Post by boon »

I think I was on that train - half the people on the platform had to crowd on the first carriage because it was unexpectedly a 4-carriage train instead of the normal 8-carriage one. I saw several people who looked like they were about to faint.

The expanded capacity with the ELL extension can't come soon enough. The level of overcrowding on south London lines is ridiculous.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

to be honest, when there is nothing (much) up with the trains I actually quite enjoy my commute... I always get a seat - its never too crowded at Sydenham. It only becomes really crowded by about Brockley....by which time its only a 5 minute stand-up for those passengers.

Funnily enough I'm going to miss my current commute when I start my new jobn next week.
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

mysti77 wrote:

I don't usually need a seat, and I usually leave at a time that I do get a seat anyway (much earlier than I need to be at work). I just happened to feel really ill, the train happened to be very delayed and 4 carriages instead of 8.
Oh, they did that 4 car thing to me a few weeks ago. Poor you mysti, I do feel for you!
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

OK. Please read this whole post. It is not intended to be self-publicising but here goes...

To those who ever feel ill or find they need a seat on the journey please, please, please if you ever spy me make a beeline for me and I will gladly give you my seat. I have gotten into a few 'mental jousts' with some forum members which has resulted in my usual arrogant response of posting my picture.

BUT knickerbockers, Mysti77 and others if you do see someone who looks like me I will think nothing of giving you my seat. I ALWAYS get a seat as I know to the millimetre were to stand as the train pulls in – I am that sad. I often offer my seat to pregnant ladies etc but I'll give you mine if you need it without a second thought.

Honestly, this is not meant to preach about me. I think I have a good heart, if no soul, and I am tall, dark-haired and wear bespoke suits...not sure how to describe myself beyond that. Please again, do not misconstrue the intention here - if you see me...have my seat. I won't even chat with you if you don't wish.

A quick search of my posts will tell you where I stand and which carriage and which train I get.

Do or don't take me up on the offer - the offer will always stand. I just cannot bear the fact that someone who may need a seat is not given one. My Grand Father would turn in his grave if he thought I was not offering to those who would appreciate the sit-down.
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

natbeuk wrote:I don't know about you Nickerbockers, but the problem I have is that I look perfectly young (ish) and healthy so if I was to ask someone to give up their seat for me when the back pain kicks in they wouldbe extremely unlikely to say yes, unless I explain my whole medical history!
I think it's a shame that people feel reticent about asking for a seat if they need one, for whatever reason.

Many people who have disabilities which are not visible - you don't have to have a limp, a guide-dog, be visibly old and frail or carrying a large bump to need a seat.

If you're sitting in a priority seat, you have to expect that you might be asked to give it up.

Even in cases where people do have a visible requirement to sit down, it's understandable that people sitting will not spend their whole journeys watching the people who get on to see whether there is anyone who may look in need of seat.

Why not just say "I'm sorry, but I have a bad back/don't feel very well/find it painful to stand up, would you mind giving up your seat?" - the worst they can say is "no", in which case I would expect some other kind soul might offer instead.

Why suffer in silence?
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Weeble wrote:
Why not just say "I'm sorry, but I have a bad back/don't feel very well/find it painful to stand up, would you mind giving up your seat?" - the worst they can say is "no", in which case I would expect some other kind soul might offer instead.

Why suffer in silence?
Because it's embarrassing to explain something so personal to a complete stranger in front of a load of other complete strangers. I am a very private person, and the last thing I want to do is share any such personal details with people who don't know me.

This may well seem silly, but that's just me I'm afraid.
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

You don't have to give the details though - merely saying you're having difficulty standing should be enough, backed up by a simple "I'm in pain" or "unwell" if questioned.

However, I see your point, I think I would find it difficult to ask, but if I were suffering regularly, I might bite the bullet.
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

natbeuk wrote:Ah, see I go for the 3rd carriage from the back as I find that drops me off right by the footbridge!
Same here - and make sure you exit by the rearmost set of doors if you want to dash through the ticket barrier before the scrum builds up!