Seats on the train

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Nickerbockers

Seats on the train

Post by Nickerbockers »

I'm working at London Bridge next week for the first time in years, and have no idea about the current state of the trains. I won't go from Catford Bridge as it's literallly a cattle truck, and I'm surprised people don't pass out more often!

I want to go from Sydenham if there's a chance I'd get a seat (at say 8am ish?), is that a possibility at that time?? My last option is to go one station back and get on at Penge West - is there a better chance of getting a seat there??

I'd be really grateful for any input? :(
mysti77

Post by mysti77 »

getting a seat after 8am is hit or miss - there are usually seats when the train pulls in but depending on how many people are in front of you entering the doors will determine if you get a seat or not.
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

I get the 7.40am and always have a choice of seats, provided I'm towards the rear of the train. For some reason though, the 7.45 and 7.53 trains are much more hit and miss - I'm not sure where they originate, but obviously more people get on there! I have got a seat on the 7.53 on the majority of the (relatively few) times that I've caught it though.
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

I get a seat quite comfortably on the 8.08 - just as long as at the rear of the train (usually 8 coaches) - it is quite a 'nice' train to catch actually...something tells me I've been commuting far too long :shock:
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Cathy wrote:I get a seat quite comfortably on the 8.08 - just as long as at the rear of the train
This rear of the train thing is a theme here. It always amazes me how many people would rather stand for 15 mins or so in one of the front carriages, than get a seat and walk for an extra 30 seconds (maximum) when they get to London Bridge!
Nickerbockers

Post by Nickerbockers »

Thanks all, this is really helpful.

Can I just ask; the trains that run on that line, are they the ones they've had for years, or are they those new stupid trains with barely any seats and loads of standing room - they run on the Catford Bridge line which is one reason I won't use that station, it's like BR are deliberately taking seats away so they can cram us in standing like sardines.
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Nickerbockers - Well, there's no more slamdoor trains (which I loved - could get out of those!) - but there are new ones, which do have lots of seating really and then there are 'not so new ones' which still too do have quite a bit of seating - but then they both (most of the time when I have travelled which is EVERY day) have some standing room bits - and then again, I think, in only a couple of the carriages, but the more newer are the nicer ones - there's that word again 'nice'.

Natbeuk - I agree, I'd rather have a seat at the rear and an extra walk at the end - which is my exercise class for the day!
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Its definitely better, and easier, to get a seat at the rear of the train - although if you are as sad as I am - and know roughtly where the doors are going to be when the train stops - you can always push the pregnant, the old and the infirm out of the way, and get to one of the seats at the front.

Sydenham is really the last stop before the train really starts getting packed (on the 0729 and the 0740 anyway) I feel sorry for the commuters who get on at Honor Oak Park and Brockley - they travel to work standing up every day.

The latest trains are actually pretty good - they're better than the ones they are replacing, in that they have plenty of seats, and air conditioning.

I've just read through my posting, and realised what a sad life the commuter lives.

If I'd have thought - as a bright eyed 15 year old - that I would know, and be concerned about, such bollocks as I have just wrtten, god knows what I would have done.
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

i love the indignant looks and comments i get when i bang on the windows and yell at people to move down the carriage.

i usually get a train between 8:30 and nine - always get a seat.
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

lambchops wrote:i love the indignant looks and comments i get when i bang on the windows and yell at people to move down the carriage.

i usually get a train between 8:30 and nine - always get a seat.
Oh it drives me so crazy when people stand close to the doors for no good reason and then look at you like you're an axe wielding maniac when you ask them to move down. Almost as annoying as people on the tube who insist on reading the Metro even when we're all crammed in like sardines so you end up with pages being shoved in your face... they don't tend to like it when I push their paper away from me!

Anyway.

(fishcox, you've got a point... never thought this kind of thing would make my blood boil when I was a nippper growing up in hicksville, Australia)
sean

Post by sean »

When I lived in Hither Green many people in the morning would catch the train going in their opposition direction and change trains say 1 or 2 stops along the track in order to get a seat when it arrived back at the moment.
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

I actually drive in every now and again, and can get door to door (Sydenham to Tavistock Square) in 45 minutes - 20 minutes quicker than the same journey by train and tube.

I actually quite like my train journey though, with my i-pod and crossword - it's probably the most mentally taxing part of my day.
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

Nickerbockers wrote:Thanks all, this is really helpful.

Can I just ask; the trains that run on that line, are they the ones they've had for years, or are they those new stupid trains with barely any seats and loads of standing room - they run on the Catford Bridge line which is one reason I won't use that station, it's like BR are deliberately taking seats away so they can cram us in standing like sardines.
A lot of them are newer trains but they're NOT the ones that run on the Catford Bridge line which are designed for increased standing room.

(see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_376)

The ones we have are like this:

http://www.southernelectric.org.uk/feat ... int01.html

There are generally a carriage or two that have wheelchair/bike space, but they're not like the Catford Bridge line trains with maximised standing space

(excuse the geeky links, I'm no trainspotter, honest! :wink: )
Mrs.E

Post by Mrs.E »

It is ONLY a 15 minute train ride... I'd complain if I had to stand for an hour but 15 minutes really is nothing!!!!
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Mrs.E wrote:It is ONLY a 15 minute train ride... I'd complain if I had to stand for an hour but 15 minutes really is nothing!!!!
Unless you're like me who has a bad back and starts to feel pain after about 5 minutes of standing. Or heavily pregnant. Or elderly. Etc. :P
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

[quote="fishcox"]Its definitely better, and easier, to get a seat at the rear of the train - although if you are as sad as I am - and know roughtly where the doors are going to be when the train stops.

Exactly what I do Fishcox! The lampost by the garages toward the end of platfrom 1 is my usual loitering point although the alarm on the houses about a 1/3 of the way down is better as there are more seats at the rear of the train (as people have pointed out).

Has anyone else noticed this increasing habit of people sitting on the outside seat with all their belongings on the inside seat in the hope that no-one tries for the seat (it seems to be a new thing). Then they roll their eyes or tut when you ask them politely to move their things so you can sit down! Mind you if I"m in a really foul mood I'll just point at their stuff and move towards the seat (this is rare though) which might account for some of the reaction
:twisted:

All in all I tend to always get a seat at Sydenham. The poor souls at Honor Oak Park and Brockley seem to hardly ever even get on the train to stand so how they get to work I'll never know, especially as many of the trains don't even stop there!
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

Greg Whitehead wrote:
Has anyone else noticed this increasing habit of people sitting on the outside seat with all their belongings on the inside seat in the hope that no-one tries for the seat (it seems to be a new thing). Then they roll their eyes or tut when you ask them politely to move their things so you can sit down! Mind you if I"m in a really foul mood I'll just point at their stuff and move towards the seat (this is rare though) which might account for some of the reaction
:twisted:
people who do this with their bags on a packed train are arseholes.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

I must admit that whenever I book a train seat or a plane seat I always book the aisle seat. This not only makes it easier to get up to go to the loo or the buffet, but it also discourages people from sitting next to you (unless of course its absolutely packed :roll: ) - they are more likely to sit on a seat that is vacant and near to them rather than ask to be let past.
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

I agree with you Bensonby. That's slightly different from what these characters are doing. Fair enough if they sit on the aisle seat as they're alighting soon (mostly though they don't and invariably stay on until London Bridge) or need the leg room (in some cases 'girth' room). But, when they have their bags on the window seat and react badly when you ask them to move their things then they are indeed what lambchops described them as.

These are the people I actively seek out. Even if there's the odd spare seat I'll select these people just to annoy them (and it does, quite why it should I'm not sure but it does). It may say alot about my character but how rude and selfish of them? They know what they're doing.

Yours irrationally

Gregory
Last edited by Greg Whitehead on 10 Oct 2008 13:41, edited 1 time in total.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

no, you're quite right Gregory - on trains like that people that try and "block" others are asking for it...I say head straight for those seats! (and get off the next stop, making them stand again - only to do the same to someone else in teh enxt carriage :P)