Bridge House Tavern

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Illuminance

Bridge House Tavern

Post by Illuminance »

:!:

See Below :)
Last edited by Illuminance on 23 May 2006 08:58, edited 1 time in total.
back_ache

Post by back_ache »

If anyone would like to find out more information about this or another pub http://beerintheevening.com is a good independent site the page for the bridge house is

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/ ... vern/Penge
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

blimey, you surprise me.

the bridge house tavern used to be the roughest of rough pubs, but we did have some good saturday nights in there in the 80's.

i shall check it out on your recommendation.

i agree that beerintheevening.com is an excellent site - i have been a contributor on it for some time.

mines a bitter. cheers
Illuminance

New BHT

Post by Illuminance »

I started this thread about a year ago regarding the Bridge House Tavern being a nice place to go for a pint or two. Then embarrassingly, it went downhill and closed down :?

However, it's reopened again, with new management. Went there last weekend for a spot of reconnaissance and was quite impressed. OK it's still a local boozer but it's clean, the toilets have seats and doors (Greyhound owners take note), has a beer garden for when summer decides to make an appearance and the slightly higher bar prices help to keep the kids away.

Seems the management are an independant couple who are obviously on a budget, but they are making a big effort to change the image of the place. It has its own website too, promoting forthcoming live bands.

And the best bit? Real Ale. Only 2 ales at the moment but that's 2 ales more than a lot of the pubs in Penge and Sydenham serve at the moment.

Still early days; I wish them the best of luck in building a decent pub for the area.
Knighton

Post by Knighton »

Is this the pub alongside the railway... which is a converted chapel?
Illuminance

Post by Illuminance »

It's right at the top of Penge High Street next to Penge West station. Between the two railway bridges.

Not a converted chapel, the only spirits there are in the optics :)
stuart

Post by stuart »

I must be one of the very few people in the universe to have a painting of the Tavern.

BHT closed & re-opened recently (new management?). It still seems very dark and uninviting which is why I have yet to sample its wares. Illuminance is it worth a stop off this Friday on my 10% off pilgramage to Homebase?

Sadly what I want is not to be found at the preferable Sydenham DIY

Stuart
Illuminance

Post by Illuminance »

Hi Stuart

Although I've only visited a couple of times since its re-opening the atmosphere seems friendly enough - no 'slaughtered lamb' staring from the locals!

Like I said above it's still a local boozer; nothing special but I'm glad the new people are trying to clean the place up and handy for that after-work pint.

Personally I'd pop in after going to Homebase to recover from the trauma of shopping. See you there!
jonnyg

Re: Bridge House Tavern

Post by jonnyg »

Prices from Hampstead, service from Hell.

I have been living in SE20 for about 10 years now and remember first going here when it was painted red, white and blue and a bit spit-and-sawdust. It was nice enough then but a few years back it had a change of management and got a new paint job and a much needed refurb. The beer went up a bit and they started doing £8 burgers and tarting up the beer garden. Was a fairly decent pub by then and I enjoyed visiting quite regularly. The other day I noticed a new paint job and some extra plants and signs about events on the front, thought there must be another change of management. Today I was thinking of somewhere to go for some food and drink and decided to go there. Never again.

We arrived, bought a round and sat down to look at the menu. 1 and half lagers, a bitter and 3 soft drinks - £18.80. I see that food has gone up too, it’s now £12 for a burger. Unfortunately there are no burgers available this day except the vege ones. We order 1 pork belly roast, 2 vege burgers (at £12 each!) and 3 kids meals. The food is ok, but a bit meagre (e.g. 7 chips for a child portion, no salad, mayo in a paper cup etc) and somewhat overpriced for the quality. One interesting new development is that when ordering the food I am asked to provide a card to start a tab. I have never been asked to provide a deposit before when ordering food.

After finishing our food I go to the bar to settle the ‘tab’, now it really starts to go wrong. When it is my turn to be served the bartender says “Who’s next?” There are only 2 of us waiting, surely he must know? I say “I would like to settle this tab please” and hand him the tab card. 2 seconds later, after logging on to the till he says “What was the number of your tab?” Luckily I have looked at the card number and can tell him what it is. Without showing me the bill he presents me with the card reader and says “£58.60”. Thinking this still seems a bit steep I pay the bill and inspect the receipt, I find that 10% has been added for service.

Setting aside the fact that this charge is normal in restaurants but not pubs, I do understand that many establishments now tack a service charge on the bill before they give it to you. However, until now I have found that establishments that add a standard service charge are scrupulous about letting you know about this before you pay your bill.

I say to the bartender,
“You have added 10% to my bill without telling me.”
“Oh, doesn’t it say on the menu?”
I point out that it doesn’t say on the menu or anywhere else. He says
“Well that’s the way it works ‘round here.”

Annoyed already at inflated prices and more so that I have been charged without my agreement I ask him to refund the service charge. Clearly trying to embarrass me he calls loudly across the bar to his manager,
“This guy wants his service charge refunded. And it has to be done right now!”

The manager says nothing to me and starts to refund the money, I say to her,
“You really should let people know before you add on charges.”

She does not reply, but the bartender says,
“Not a tipping kind of guy, eh?”

The thing is I am a “tipping kind of guy”, but I don’t like hidden charges and I don’t like bar staff trying to embarrass me. The manager says nothing about his rudeness and I say that I will not be coming here again. The response-
“I don’t give a f*ck”

:evil:
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

That's a shame, it used to be reasonably good. Experiences like that mean I won't go there again. It was stupid and bad business by the staff to act that way.

Try the Paxton in gypsy hill, last time I went it was really good with a fantastic beer garden that also had a nice secluded ace for kids and a great interior decor too.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Tootie

Post by Tootie »

Gosh that sounds like a pretty horrible visit. The Bridge House has been my local since moving into the area a few years ago and I've always found it warm and welcoming with the manager a friendly chatty chap.

Like you i don't mind paying prices for quality food and will always tip where deserved. Hopefully this was a very poor one off rather than the start of a downhill trend.

fingers crossed.....

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Mr_Sheen

Post by Mr_Sheen »

12 quid for a pub burger without meat in a place where you get splinters in your backside from flytipped chairs? Who falls for these sort of prices? Obviously they've got money to burn and the worst recession in memory doesn't affect them.
AND a tip expected/taken without any choice? Sod that, it's a bloody pub not a Michelin rated west end restaurant.
Used to be my local but haven't set foot in there for a long time and certainly won't bother in future.
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

jonnyg wrote:Prices from Hampstead, service from Hell.

She does not reply, but the bartender says,
“Not a tipping kind of guy, eh?”

The thing is I am a “tipping kind of guy”, but I don’t like hidden charges and I don’t like bar staff trying to embarrass me. The manager says nothing about his rudeness and I say that I will not be coming here again. The response-
“I don’t give a f*ck”

Very similar experience here too - so have chosen to vote with my feet..

I am a 'Tipping sort of guy' so have this tip for them: Respect your customers or they may well
just choose to go elsewhere, they are not as naive or stupid as you seem to think they are!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I agree service should be excellent to warrant a tip or service charge.

Either side of Pub recommend The Grape and Grain at Upp Norwood and good old Moon and Stars in Ponge.

Both have excellent real ales and M and S has OK food and G and G very good.
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

I never go in it. Ridiculously expensive average quality food and far from quality ale. The only Penge pub I go in is the Moon and Stars which is exceptional for ale (ok it's a 'spoons so it has other drawbacks).

The Catford Bridge Tavern is my new favourite local though. Superb ale - 7 handpulls plus loads of ciders and kegged imports, gastro food at far from gastro prices and in decent sized portions and really nice young bar staff. It used to be the Copperfield and has just won Camra South East London Pub of the Year.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Bovine Juice

I agree The Moon and Stars best Pub in SE20 , by far

Bar propers do annoy me when you cannot get near the bar of pumps to see which ales are on.

Also whilst I am not anti children when they seem to allow children of any age in up to closing time something is wrong.

On the whole though good pub

The Catford Bridge Tavern is , I agree , excellent. Have not eaten there but ales great.
Mr_Sheen

Post by Mr_Sheen »

I know what you mean about kids in pubs - one of my pet hates. M&S in Penge do let them in but they're restricted to the back part of the pub and outside - if you want to get away from the little darlings it's best to stay near the front.

The last time I ventured into the Bridge House it was mid afternoon and like a kindergarten.
mikej

Post by mikej »

I'm very fond of the G&G at CPal - lovely selection of ales, delightful staff who'd never treat you like those fools in the Bridge House Tavern.

Shan't be venturing in their rude and rip off doors anytime soon.
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

G&G has changed owners within the last few weeks. Consensus is it's not as good - beer's fine but it's a different crowd coming in because they have loud music on Fridays and Saturdays.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

That is sad news BJ

I go in pubs to converse and would rather no music at all.