Dog friendly pubs

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
mysti77

Dog friendly pubs

Post by mysti77 »

Are there any in Sydenham or nearby?
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

The George in beckenham is dog friendly and provides bowls of water. I have not tried out any other locals when I've got my boy with me.
Am curious to know myself.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

the Woodman (Kirkdale) allows friendly, well-behaved dogs. They also have a beer garden. I also believe the Bridge House Tavern (penge, by the Thicket Road entrance to Crystal Palace park) allows dogs in certain areas.
The Dulwich Woodhouse used to allow dogs, but then went 'a bit funny'. I'll confirm the DWH stance after next friday.

Ali B
Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

I doubt the DWH will 'allow' dogs now -but let us know if you find otherwise.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Any Pub serving food should not entertain doggies under any circumstances.
That does not leave many others and most of them are not good.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

Why not? Do you think dogs contaminate food? Don't you know that children brought up on farms with dogs, and cows and sheep and who are allowed to play around the place have far better immune systems than people who's parents wet wipe everything in sight? A big study was done recently and 'farm children' had far fewer colds and coughs than the ones who weren't.

I don't have a dog and am not bothered either way as long as they're friendly and on a lead.
The Blythe Hill tavern in Forest Hill used to be like a flippin' vets surgery on Sunday lunchtimes. Dogs of all sizes, and it wasn't a big pub. I used to hate it when after a few pints one owner in particular used to tease his dog and it would be jumping up and barking. I didn't like that at all.
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

I have to admit the majority of local hostelries I have frequented down the years have tended to allow dogs in them. However this grave cause for concern usually remedied itself after a few pints of the local brew.
mysti77

Post by mysti77 »

Eagle wrote:Any Pub serving food should not entertain doggies under any circumstances.
That does not leave many others and most of them are not good.
not all pubs serve food and some of the pubs that I have been to that are dog friendly don't allow dogs in the 'restaurant' part. But I understand your concern, some people don't like to eat with dogs around them.

I just want somewhere that after a walk with the dog I can sit down and have a pint without having to walk all the way home to drop the dog off and then go back out again.
Savvy wrote:Why not? Do you think dogs contaminate food? Don't you know that children brought up on farms with dogs, and cows and sheep and who are allowed to play around the place have far better immune systems than people who's parents wet wipe everything in sight? A big study was done recently and 'farm children' had far fewer colds and coughs than the ones who weren't.
I honestly believe this, and not from any study either but from personal experience. You see, my mom was super duper OCD with me and I would get every cough, cold, flu, etc. going around. The dogs were not allowed in the house and the place was very sterile.

My niece plays with the dog then puts her hands in her mouth, crawls around floors that are not always disinfected (floors that the dog walks on), eats mud and all the fun stuff that little ones do. She is hardly ever ill!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Apologies if I was wrong but I thought dogs were not allowed in UK restuarants and pubs serving food.
Not sure where I heard this .
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Until recently, my parents ran a successful dog friendly B&B on the South Coast. They supplied the dogs breakfast, dinner, blankets and bedding for the night. They were featured on a few TV programs (mainly BBC2!) and won many awards. The vet from the Paul O'Grady Show used to film from their B&B.

They retired to Spain 2 months ago and they are finding the Spanish very anti-dog, compared to this country. They aren't allowed in bars or restaurants with their 2 cocker spaniels and are considering moving back.

Locally, The Crown and Greyhound in Dulwich and The Perry Hill advertise on Doggie Pubs, but none so far in Sydenham.

http://www.doggiepubs.org.uk/index.php? ... orters=yes
Jules

Post by Jules »

Mummycat,
Where in Spain have your parents moved to? I've always found the Costa Blanca to be very dog friendly.

Dogs are very rarely allowed in resturants anywhere in the world, but casual bars, cafe type places in Spain are generally dog friendly, obvioulsy the dogs need to be well behaved and not interfer with other customers.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

DWH garden will be open in a few weeks and will be welcoming dog owners during any periods of bright weather. No dogs allowed inside though.

ALi B
hazy

Post by hazy »

the boozer in perry vale (prince of wales?) is dog friendly