Virgin media?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
simon

Virgin media?

Post by simon »

Ive been having problems with my Virgin media service for the last couple of weeks and have had no tv or internet since Friday. Whenever I speak to them they say its a local fault and will be fixed shortly, but never is. I wondered if anyone else is having problems or is it just me? Thing is they have said its a local fault in the past when it hasn't been. And vice versa.
Thanks
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

Our Virgin Media TV and broadband has been working all weekend, but the phone has been down for weeks - don't care as we don't use it.

I find that VM's products are great, but their Customer Service is shocking.
Barty

Post by Barty »

We moved into our new flat on Oct 25th. Virgin Media could not come and install until NOV 17TH!!!

Halfway thru the installation, they said they couldn't do it and would ring to let us know when they could........

Four hours later they were back to finish it....

Within the first four weeks the broadband has crashed twice and the phone has gone down once. When we reported the phone, they tried to tell me there was no fault on the line, it was my phone that was faulty. It was only purchased the day before installation!!!!!!

I am also awaiting an explanation from them as to why I have received several email failed delivery messages from various servers saying that emails I sent in mid-October could not be delivered. Considering I did not set my email account up until the first week of November this is somewhat strange dontcha think?!!!!!
lambchops

Re: Virgin media?

Post by lambchops »

simon wrote:Ive been having problems with my Virgin media service for the last couple of weeks and have had no tv or internet since Friday. Whenever I speak to them they say its a local fault and will be fixed shortly, but never is. I wondered if anyone else is having problems or is it just me? Thing is they have said its a local fault in the past when it hasn't been. And vice versa.
Thanks
my tv has been on the blink a bit.
Nickerbockers

Post by Nickerbockers »

Our Freeview is breaking up all the time, I live in Forest Hill, but there could be a connection!?
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

yeah i'm not far from forest hill, so i think it's a local problem.
simon

Post by simon »

Well Im back online and have TV now, after only four days!
They really are rubbish. They have no internal communications by the look of it. This afternoon one of their guys was messing about outside the house opposite so I went over and told him about my problem and what the call centre had told me. His repsonse was "oh its a local fault is it? no wonder I cant fix this one, nobody told me."
They announced over 2,000 redundancies recently and I can imagime they are an even worse company to work for than to be a customer of.
Dp Virgin have a monopoly of the cable network here or am I able to use a different service provider. Sersly considering changing in the New Year.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

we have been having gigantic problems with our BT broadband. often it doesn't work for days on end. They have said we won't have to pay for the time it is down, but the simple fact of the matter is that I'd like internet access!
mikej

Post by mikej »

I've never had any trouble with Virgin - broadband - very reliable, not bad speed. Phone - great, cheapish. Cable TV - the odd glitch, nothing serious though.
Guess I've just been lucky?
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

bensonby wrote:we have been having gigantic problems with our BT broadband. often it doesn't work for days on end. They have said we won't have to pay for the time it is down, but the simple fact of the matter is that I'd like internet access!
it's been heavenly on this forum as a result!

ahhhhhhhh....

heheh!!
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

vigrin media told me that there was an upgrade in this area that was causing me to lose broadband...i didnt beleive them so made them send out an engineer. lo and behold my modem was rooted.
The Scorpion

Post by The Scorpion »

We have had Virgin Broadband and Phone for well over a year and it's always been OK really, no down-time and fairly flowing, good net access -apart from lately. Seems the speed has dropped and that's been a pain, with freezing up times and slowness etc. - someone told us that they have been upgrading things lately, so that's why, it seems.

I would like to ask anyone who has the 4-deal package (Mobile, Broadband, Landline and TV) how much they pay for this as I am considering going that way (currently have just Freeview for TV and Pay As You Go for Mobile) as, after seeing all these offers in the Media, for all 4 services, but as users of only Broadband and Landline, it looks like we are paying even more than what new customers are being offered, for 3-4 of their services even though we only have 2 :-|

Thanks in advance

Sue
mikej

Post by mikej »

Scorpion,
If I were you I would get on to them and have a go at them. I did that last year in a similar situation, and they gave me a reduction (each month) straight away. I queried their policy which seems to discriminate against current customers, but they said it wasn't practical to contact all their custmoers when cheaper offers came out. So it is up to us to complain or switch to Sky or whoever.
Good luck
Mike
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

£43/month for XL TV, 2MB Broadband & Telephone (that I dont use).

I have also got a standard BT line with a £5 international call plan that I use to phone unlimited to France.
Not sure which tel line to ditch...

Swapped my old Virgin box for one of the new silver ones after lots of problems with Movies "freezing". They gave me a £22 credit.
Only problem with the new box is that it does connect up with my stereo for surround sound. Engineer did inform me when he was installing but agree that the call centre service isnt the best as they didnt mention this.
I have to say apart form the box issues the actual line has been no problem at all. I have had it about 3 years.

Perhaps a round of redundancies will result in service efficiency drive / rethink? NTL was struggling when Virgin took it over so who knows....these are tough times.

I have stayed with Virgin because I prefer the on-demand service to that of Sky as you can start a movie whenever you want and pause / fast forward rather than having to wait on the time to come round.

Some charming person has mounted a HUGE satelite dish in direct eye view as I sit and look down my garden. That is another reason, I wont go to Sky....
Nickerbockers

Post by Nickerbockers »

I'm getting really bad mobile phone signal lately, keeps coming up 'emerg calls only' so I can't do anything on it. It's never happened before til the last few weeks. Not sure if that's connected at all! :?
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Nickerbockers wrote:I'm getting really bad mobile phone signal lately, keeps coming up 'emerg calls only' so I can't do anything on it. It's never happened before til the last few weeks. Not sure if that's connected at all! :?
It won't be connected. Chances are there's a problem with your nearest mobile phone base station, the one you normally get your signal from. Have you contacted your mobile network? If not I would suggest doing so - if there's a problem with the base station they're probably aware of it, but even so, it's always worth making sure they know it's affecting you!
Barty

Post by Barty »

Virgin have let me down again.....internet went down on Fri and was on and off all weekend. Engineer came yesterday anda said it was something to do with Thames Water digging in the Bell Green / Catford area and Virgin won't replace their cable until TW have finished in case they break it!!!!

So internet is gonna be intermittent for 2wks.....

:evil:
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Ahhh, same here, got up early today to do some emailing and my broadband is down again. So this time it's thames Waters Fault...for cripes sake!

I've had so many hiccups with virgin I'm not sure whether to change. It was so ropey over Xmas that I'm going to ask for some sort of refund.

2 weeks you say?

G-Man
Barty

Post by Barty »

That's what they reckoned. I'm keeping a log of all service disruption and if it goes on I shall start withholding payments....
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

Nickerbockers wrote:I'm getting really bad mobile phone signal lately, keeps coming up 'emerg calls only' so I can't do anything on it. It's never happened before til the last few weeks. Not sure if that's connected at all! :?
it's linked with the increase in air traffic over sydenham.